Putting a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut

Not really when you can cut 20-30 lbs. What's the point of having a weight class?

If a fighter's walk around weight is within 10 lbs of the weight he's going to cut to then what he puts back on should be easily regulated.

If someone can do it safely then it is part of the game, like it or not. I don't believe long term it is healthy to cut certain amounts of weight in that short of an amount of time...

-first problem is figuring out how much weight is unhealthy for a particular individual, IT VARIES GREATLY and one rule cannot describe it
-second problem (I have personally) is who gives a rip if they want to be unhealthy, these are the same people who are on steroids etc. (would do anything to win and to make $$) do they really need babysitters?
-third is people always point out the times when cutting weight helps a fighter, but not the ones where it hurt their performance (there are MANY examples)

Not really when you can cut 20-30 lbs. What's the point of having a weight class?

Having guys of similar size fighting each other, regardless of whether or not it's at the same exact weight of the respective division?

If a fighter's walk around weight is within 10 lbs of the weight he's going to cut to then what he puts back on should be easily regulated.

Even if fighters naturally weigh 20-30 pounds over the limit, most guys can only naturally put about 15 pounds back on in 24 hours. Fighters that weigh close to the limit naturally (like Frankie) have their own advantages, just as cutting a lot of weight has it's own setnacks. It isn't as though the bigger guy always has the advantage, in fact sometimes it's the opposite.

Frankie's gonna cut like 10 pounds, Bendo cuts from over 180.

As I said, put the limit to 10 pounds and do weigh ins on the morning of the fight day.

What a horrible idea. Donald Cerrone said he ususally cuts from 190lbs in the interview with Liz Carmouche. Are you suggesting he should fight at middle weight then? Dude seriously...quit posting if your gonna post garbage and not think things through.

Even if fighters naturally weigh 20-30 pounds over the limit, most huys can only naturally put about 15 pounds back on in 24 hours. Fighters that weigh close to the limit naturally (like Frankie) have their own advantages, just as cutting a lot of weight has it's own setnacks. It isn't as though the bigger guy always has the advantage, in fact sometimes it's the opposite.

very good points, I do believe edgar had one advantage in the speed because of his size...we will really get proof of that if he doesn't look way faster than 145ers.

Cut or not to cut is is up to the fighter...don't regulate it...they are adults...

They did this with Vitors Opponent Anthony Johnson. It may prevent fighters from not Making Weight. And it may prevent fighters from getting to drained. Some fighters fight like that they are good in the first round 2nd round they are all Zombies look what happened to Chael in the 2nd Silva fight.

Frankie's gonna cut like 10 pounds, Bendo cuts from over 180.

As I said, put the limit to 10 pounds and do weigh ins on the morning of the fight day.

totally silly and shows a lack of knowledge of combat sports in general. 10 pounds for who? HW, LW, all weight classes? how about a %? still won't work. different people can cut different amounts for a variety of reasons. Also, same day weigh-ins can work, but you would get many instances of really drained/shitty performances (and possibly deaths because of the proximity of dehydration to competition). I can safely say from experience that rules won't stop people from cutting.

We'll have to disagree because I don't think weight classes really matter when there are 20lb differences between fighters sometimes.

What's the point in having them really? Boxing has way more weight classes and weight differences matter much more in MMA.

OK, but you are missing 2 key points here:

1) Fighters CHOOSE which weight they fight at, they could always cut weight and go down to the next weightclass where fighters won't be able to be 20-30 pounds heavier than them, e.g. Frankie moving down to FW.

2) There is a point of diminishing returns for cutting weight, where your performance is significantly diminished because you have dehydrated too much. Some fighters have actually done worse at lower weights because of this.

BTW, boxing has more weightclasses because they can, there are way more boxers. That many weightclasses in MMA would just dilute the competion too much. If the sport really grows, there may one day be that many weightclasses in MMA.

According to sherdog it's 50 pounds

Source: Rumble when he was welterweight

Cut or not to cut is is up to the fighter...don't regulate it...they are adults...

amen. Everyone asking for more rules- and then when they get them they complain about it. Fighting needs as little rules as is possible for the fighters to have a full career, period.

Fighters cutting weight to make the pre-weight for determining maximum weight cut. Pointless, terrible idea TS, with all respect.

Pounds don't win fights. Fighters fight where ever they feel they can best compete.

In boxing they show un-official weights fight night and it is not the heavier guy who wins all the time.

Weight matters a lot in MMA especially when control is such a big part of the scoring. If people really believe these big weight cuts don't matter so much than why don't so many Anderson fans want him to fight Jones at 205 and so many GSP fans want him to fight Anderson at 185 or even a catch weight? Again, weight matters a lot in MMA.

very good points, I do believe edgar had one advantage in the speed because of his size...we will really get proof of that if he doesn't look way faster than 145ers.

Cardio tends to be a non issue for these fighters as well.

I would support it.

the whole purpose of creating weight classes to begin with was to minimize the 'size' discrepency between fighters.

OK fighters adapted and are doing their best to find a way around it and to enjoy the biggest size difference they can manage. Good for fighters.

Now the rules should also adapt to counter the fighters move to gain a bigger and bigger size advantage by setting weight limit regains just as Vitor made Rumble agree to for their CW fight when Rumble missed his MW weigh in.

I would support it.

the whole purpose of creating weight classes to begin with was to minimize the 'size' discrepency between fighters.

OK fighters adapted and are doing their best to find a way around it and to enjoy the biggest size difference they can manage. Good for fighters.

Now the rules should also adapt to counter the fighters move to gain a bigger and bigger size advantage by setting weight limit regains just as Vitor made Rumble agree to for their CW fight when Rumble missed his MW weigh in.

Lol, if they make the weight then they make the weight, theres no loophole that these fighters are exploiting.

Rumble missed weight on numerous occasions, it was clear he couldn't make the weight he had agreed with when he skgned the contract and was punished (cut from the promotion) soon thereafter.

u sound like the government

Back