Putting a limit on how much weight a fighter can cut

jerzey devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
@Gold
Reaction score
I think they should put a limit on how much weight someone can cut for a fight by weighing them in day before as usual and then again right before the fight. It would take a little while for the fighters to adjust to how to regulate themselves but I think it would help.

Like put a 5-10 pound limit on how much they can cut so fighters would have to watch how much they weigh before they started the initial cut. They'd be forced to stay close to the weight they're gonna fight at.

Weight classes are there for a reason and there shouldn't be these huge differences between people in the same weight class.

Some fighters are cutting a lot of weight these days so they should either put a limit on how much or add a few more weight classes.

Agreed, it's been getting ridiculous lately with guys cutting 30 pounds just to have a size advantage. Put a 10 pound limit and have weigh ins the morning before the fight.

Disagree. Keep things the way they are.

We'll have to disagree because I don't think weight classes really matter when there are 20lb differences between fighters sometimes.

What's the point in having them really? Boxing has way more weight classes and weight differences matter much more in MMA.

We'll have to disagree because I don't think weight classes really matter when there are 20lb differences between fighters sometimes.

What's the point in having them really? Boxing has way more weight classes and weight differences matter much more in MMA.

Pretty much this. Imagine if Benson didn't have over 20 pounds on Frankie.

henderson21.jpg

30lbs weight cuts is normal...after weigh in they get the IV drip of fluids for hydration. what a life.

Weight cutting is always gonna be one of those things guys are going to find a way around. No matter what you.do they'll find a way to come in as heavy as they can. You can weigh them every 12 hours and fine their purse if they go over a certain number but who would go through with that?

The fact they have to weigh in at a set weight is that limit. That's the whole point, your suggestion just makes it more convoluted and redundant.

Pretty much this. Imagine if Benson didn't have over 20 pounds on Frankie.

henderson21.jpg

Frankie can cut weight too if he likes, as he is going to from now on. There's nothing unfair about that.

Frankie can cut weight too if he likes, as he is going to from now on. There's nothing unfair about that.

Frankie's gonna cut like 10 pounds, Bendo cuts from over 180.

As I said, put the limit to 10 pounds and do weigh ins on the morning of the fight day.

I kinda disagree, because there is only so much weight you can cut healthily, and theres only so much (between weighing in and the fight) that you can put back on.

As I said, put the limit to 10 pounds and do weigh ins on the morning of the fight day.

10 pounds from what though? A fighter's weight can fluctuate greatly over the year, or even a month. Should we not let them go through training camp so they won't get in better shape and lose weight as well?

The fact they have to weigh in at a set weight is that limit. That's the whole point, your suggestion just makes it more convoluted and redundant.

Putting a cap on how much they can weigh doesn't make the weigh ins redundant. It just means they can only put on so much weight back on.

And the weight they cut to is not a limit when you can just put back on as much as you can.

Frankie can cut 25 pounds too is he wants. When you cut a lot of weight, there are advantages and disadvantages, it's a stylistic choice, not a straight leg up. And even if it were, it doesn't mean there should be some artificial limit, because all that would mean is that the guy would have to weigh in twice, nothing's keeping him from cutting weight for both times.

No need. If guys think they are too small they can just cut to the next weight class.

I think they should put a limit on how much weight someone can cut for a fight by weighing them in day before as usual and then again right before the fight. It would take a little while for the fighters to adjust to how to regulate themselves but I think it would help.

Like put a 5-10 pound limit on how much they can cut so fighters would have to watch how much they weigh before they started the initial cut. They'd be forced to stay close to the weight they're gonna fight at.

Weight classes are there for a reason and there shouldn't be these huge differences between people in the same weight class.

Some fighters are cutting a lot of weight these days so they should either put a limit on how much or add a few more weight classes.

Lemme start by saying I have no problem with extreme weight cuts or even less weight classes. This is just me throwing some ideas out there.

Why not just check the water content on everyone's piss? I don't believe they do that now? That's what they started doing in wrestling. If you piss dust then you don't fight. I do believe the first death (if there is one in the ufc I mean) will be weight cut related. There are a few reasons why worrying about cutting is useless, though. First off, people will cheat (dudes taped bottles to their schlong of "good" piss back when I wrestled, etc.) anyway and you can't prevent it. Second, no one wants a match cancelled because of this (ufc first and foremost because of the $$).

I kinda disagree, because there is only so much weight you can cut healthily, and theres only so much (between weighing in and the fight) that you can put back on.

Not really when you can cut 20-30 lbs. What's the point of having a weight class?

If a fighter's walk around weight is within 10 lbs of the weight he's going to cut to then what he puts back on should be easily regulated.

I agree with the idea of the whole plan but it is too complicated. Maybe fighters should weigh in the day of the fight?

Back