Prime RJJ vs. Marciano

It's too bad that Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather don't have half the faith in their abilities that their fans do...

Yeah like what the fuck is going on? At his peak I don't think Roy wouldn't have stepped within a country mile of entering a ring with Rocky. Mayweather has never fought at 154 but apparently is too much for Hagler to handle.

James Toney and B-Hop are all-time greats. Marciano isn't. He quit at 32.

Marvin Hagler's last fight was at 32, Salvador Sanchez's was when he was 23, Harry Greb's was when he was 32. What's your point about him quitting at 32?

Yeah like what the fuck is going on? At his peak I don't think Roy wouldn't have stepped within a country mile of entering a ring with Rocky. Mayweather has never fought at 154 but apparently is too much for Hagler to handle.

Mayweather has fought at 154

Your crazy man, Rocky would get on the inside and work Jones body and then finish him off in the later rounds.

If i had to put a bet on a fight like this it's tough for me because Jones could possibly get cought but I think i have to give it to him. He is such an elite athlete that it would be hard for me to envision a way that he gets beat unless marciano is able to catch him in the later rounds due to jones doing slipping punches technically wrong, like pulling his head straight back or not having his hands up thats about the only way i believe he gets hurt.(i am assuming this is a 12 round fight because jones never fought 15)

In 61 ring-battles during a 21 year career in a TERRIFIC era of Heavyweights, Ali was never knocked out.

In 1980 in his 60th fight which was against a prime Great Larry Holmes, Angelo Dundee stopped the fight between rds, but that's 1980: Ali won the Title in 1964 !

I hate to do the following as Wladimir Klitschko has carried himself with class as a Heavyweight Champion, but it's pertinent as many people say the past decade has been a weak era of Heavyweights, yet Wladimir somehow got himself knocked out against several of them.

2i0yl54.jpg

muhammadaliterrell.gif

^ Ali vs 6'6" WBA champ Ernie Terrell in 1967.

Ernie was world-class but couldn't land and lost almost every rd.

I believe Ali would win on pts in the battle of the jabs, and I'm not even particularly a fan of Ali.

Im not an Ali fan but he would destroy either one of the Klitschko's. Wlad maybe could beat Ali right now, but thats about it...

I don't think you'd find many people to agree with that statement.

That's fine with me. Wlad doesn't punch exceptionally hard, I don't care who agrees with me or not. Demonstrate one fight to me where he showed tremendous power and not a gradual wear on his opponents.

Impossible to know how good Marciano would have been with the techniques, training, nutrition of the modern era etc.

That said a prime RJJ would make him look foolish. Marciano could not catch a prime Roy and Jones skills and speed in his prime were ridiculous.

Marciano was tough and a good puncher maybe in a fifteen rounder he could wear Roy down a bit and do something but I just think Roy would box his head off to be honest.

Roy was a much more technical fighter, and much more athletic.

marciano makes it to the 8 th on heart. But it would look like mayweather vs gatti.

Its funny, the same people who say "the current heavyweights in the ufc, are better than the ones from 2 years ago" are the same people who won't acknowledge the technical and athletic superiority of the boxers of recent times to the old boxers of yesteryear.

Klitschko would absolutely destroy muhammed ali. Ali wouldn't even be a heavyweight. he was 6-215. A small cruiserweight.

Marciano was a sloppy puncher, who didn't even have a challenge in the days he fought. He was a hard arm puncher. He would get tooled by a lot of the current champs.

Wow, have you ever watched any of these guys fight? Take a look at guys like Vitali, Froch, Haye, Margarito and then go and watch footage of guys like Robinson, Pep, Duran, Louis. The skill level of the old schoolers makes the aformentioned look like amateurs.

Vitali couldn't even destroy a blown up middleweight Chris Byrd, but he is going to destroy a guy that took flush punches off of Shavers and Foreman?

Marciano was a relentless pressure fighter with one punch knockout power that he carried in to the 15th round. He fought out of a Crouch and was deceptively hard to hit, especially for taller fighters, he would be a nightmare for any heavyweight.

i like how you conveniently left out the fact that the klitschko's weigh around 250 pounds.

As we have seen in both boxing and mma, the heavyweights are getting massive. Weight makes a huge difference. The klitschkos are very technically sound, fight conservatively and still hit incredibly hard. Emanuel stewart said wlad knock out people with their headgear on. Most boxers don't fight the klitschkos, they run from them.

I must have missed the fact that Wlad has lost to three journeyman in brutal fashion and Vitali nearly got blinded by Lewis and quit against a middleweight. Smaller guys have been destroying bigger guys in boxing since forever, Dempsey, Louis, Tyson the list goes on.

I must have missed the fact that Wlad has lost to three journeyman in brutal fashion and Vitali nearly got blinded by Lewis and quit against a middleweight. Smaller guys have been destroying bigger guys in boxing since forever, Dempsey, Louis, Tyson the list goes on.

I think that Vitali could hang with the best fighters from the past, but Wladmir is overrated because the public seems to look at the brothers as one fighter. They actually have different styles and strengths, but Vitali is much stronger on the substantial attributes such as the ability to stay in a pocket and exploit the openings he creates.

Vitaly is probably the best 'big' boxer the sport has ever seen. I still don't know if he could hang with the best from the past, though.

Vitaly is probably the best 'big' boxer the sport has ever seen. I still don't know if he could hang with the best from the past, though.

Nobody will ever know

All of Tyson's loses were given to him by men that were taller and outweighed him.

Dempsey (6'1) and Louis (6'2) weren't exactly short men, especially during their era of boxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back