Prime RJJ vs. Marciano

I've always thought that these sorts of arguments are impossible and pointless. Are we giving Marciano the benefit of 1990s level nutrition and conditioning techniques? Guys from different eras had different tools in their toolboxes, unfair to compare.

I don't see much high tech training or diets out of the best boxers of today. Many still run in combat boots, hit tires with sledgehammers, punch the heavybag, eat lots of meat, ect. Hell, Marquez drinks his piss.

lol...ok...yeah, older fighters were smaller, slower, less conditioned on the average. it really wouldn't be fair. especially when you're talking about a guy like marciano taking on a complete product of modern day conditioning like Roy Jones Jr.

ripped fuel > a pot of joe any day

Some boxers today get gassed before 12 rounds are up, but you say that old boxers who went 15+ rounds are less conditioned?

RJJ would have been too quick, too slick for someone like Marciano

This, The fight would end late by ref stoppage. Roy would have glued Rocks eyes shut, the fight would end up like Roy vs Clinton Woods. Think of Dirrell vs AA but Roy was even faster and had twice as much power. Oh and AA(Rocky Marciano)would not turn on late, Roy was one of the nasties body punchers I've ever seen, a flat footed Marcino would barely be able to move let alone catch a second wind

The Roy Jones that has 1 fight and 1 win over John Ruiz as a heavyweight?

That Roy Jones?

No doubt it would be a cute fight. But Marciano would smash that man. People forget.

The Road Warrior Glengoffe Johnson is about the physical size of The Rock (Glen's a bit lighter though) and is a pressure-fighter, except The Rock was naturally well over 200 lbs and trained himself down to a razor-sharp rugged 185 lbs.

Glen's pressure got to Roy and one right hand was all it took to knock Roy completely cold.
Glen's right hand ain't on a par with the Suzie-Q.

Depends on the times though too because Roy would have Marciano's face all cut up, and in the old days, they let it go, and nowadays they stop it pretty quick on a cut.

I can't see Roy Jones lasting 15 rds with Marciano.
I can see Roy being a good front-runner for a few rds.

Roy also did not fight several of the best fighters of his era, fights that would have defined him.
Weell, Roy's fighting them now, but it's too late; the magic is gone.
He should have fought them in 1998, '99, 2000, 2001 when he probably would have beaten those outstanding fighters.

The guy said prime Jones not the scared just got ko'd by tarver jones. In Rjj prime he would of ate Glen for breakfast, I love glen but hes not even in Rjj class and never will be.

And the slight about him not fighting the best, please who did he not beat and shit he was calling out Joe back 99 and who wouldnt come and fight in the US against one of the biggest stars america had

You're talking out of your ass on that claim. According to Boxrec.com:

Muhammad Ali:
Height- 6'3
Reach- 80"

Wladimir Klitschko:
Height- 6'6.5"
Reach- 81"

Vitali Klitschko:
Height- 6'7.5"
Reach- 80"

So while they were taller than Ali by a few inches, their reach was nearly the same.
The tallest fighter Ali faced was Ernie Terrell, who (once again, according to boxrec.com) stood 6'6" and had a wingspan of 82", and as such, is comparable to Wladimir in terms of dimension (I don't know the weights of both offhand).

Look what Ali did to Terrell. And yes, I'm well aware of Ali's finger-into-eye move that more than likely wouldn't fly in the modern era. Then again, we let Holyfield fight Tyson with part of his ear bitten off.

i like how you conveniently left out the fact that the klitschko's weigh around 250 pounds.

As we have seen in both boxing and mma, the heavyweights are getting massive. Weight makes a huge difference. The klitschkos are very technically sound, fight conservatively and still hit incredibly hard. Emanuel stewart said wlad knock out people with their headgear on. Most boxers don't fight the klitschkos, they run from them.

The guy said prime Jones not the scared just got ko'd by tarver jones. In Rjj prime he would of ate Glen for breakfast, I love glen but hes not even in Rjj class and never will be.

23uevwz.jpg

And the slight about him not fighting the best, please who did he not beat and shit he was calling out Joe back 99 and who wouldnt come and fight in the US against one of the biggest stars america had

In Roy's prime, he should have fought:
Roy Jones vs Dariusz Michalczewski
Roy Jones vs Joe Calzaghe
(rematch) Roy Jones vs Bernard Hopkins
(rematch) Roy Jones vs James Toney
Roy Jones vs Gerald McClellan
Roy Jones vs Julian Jackson
Roy Jones vs Nigel Benn
Roy Jones vs Chris Eubank
Roy Jones vs Steve Collins

Such a shame and a waste to see so many great fights Jones could have had instead of spending is prime fighting:
ricky frazier
reggie johnson
richard hall
david telesco
antoine byrd
tony thornton
etc..

Roy NEVER was the lineal Light-Heavy Champ, y'know, The Man was Michalczewski. The Champ calls the shots like the venue for the fight, not the paper-champion.

Roy was an outstanding talent, absolutely amazing in his prime, but he never was lineal champ at 160, nor 168, nor 175, and certainly not at Heavyweight.

It's the great tragedy of 2 outstanding talents in Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather that when in their prime, they didn't fight the best opponents available to them.

Marciano fought and defeated the best opponents available to him., and that's with the Big Dogs of boxing: Heavyweights.

I like to think that Rocky Marciano would win.

Some boxers today get gassed before 12 rounds are up, but you say that old boxers who went 15+ rounds are less conditioned?

ehh...yeah. the guys with the best conditioning today > the guys with the best conditioning back then. better training and nutrition. it's not even a subjective argument...we know more about sports science now than they did back then.

Marciano could probably go until the bell basing the last 6 rounds of heart alone. I think that he would probably serve little more than as a punching bag in the last rounds though. I think that he would have to finish this early to have any chance of winning.

ehh...yeah. the guys with the best conditioning today > the guys with the best conditioning back then. better training and nutrition. it's not even a subjective argument...we know more about sports science now than they did back then.

Where are these boxers utilizing training methods that were unavailable to Rocky Marciano? The vast majority don't.

I think RJJ takes it easily. There was no such athlete of the caliber of Roy Jones Jr in Marciano's age. Marciano get's all due credit, But Roy's speed would be the equalizer. Roy would just pot shot him until his eyes were totally closed form the accumulated damage, and it would be over soon afterwards. Marciano might have the armor, but he doesn't have the speed to hit Roy.

Where are these boxers utilizing training methods that were unavailable to Rocky Marciano? The vast majority don't.

Look, it's not just boxing...it's every sport. The guys that are the best at what they do in the modern era will almost always have an edge athletically over the guys from over 35 years ago. Advances in the understanding of the human body and how to properly mold the body into peak form have lead to athletes of all sports being bigger, stronger and faster than athletes were in the past.

I know that boxing fans are obsessed with arguing over whom would be the time travel champ, but it's unfair. There may be the occasional freak of nature that stands out above and beyond those of his contemporaries, but even that freak hasn't reached the level of potential of today's athlete. What I'm saying isn't controversial, and if you think that today's best boxers are using the same exact training and nutritional methods of Rocky Marciano, then I'd have to respectfully disagree with you sir.

Look, it's not just boxing...it's every sport. The guys that are the best at what they do in the modern era will almost always have an edge athletically over the guys from over 35 years ago. Advances in the understanding of the human body and how to properly mold the body into peak form have lead to athletes of all sports being bigger, stronger and faster than athletes were in the past.

I know that boxing fans are obsessed with arguing over whom would be the time travel champ, but it's unfair. There may be the occasional freak of nature that stands out above and beyond those of his contemporaries, but even that freak hasn't reached the level of potential of today's athlete. What I'm saying isn't controversial, and if you think that today's best boxers are using the same exact training and nutritional methods of Rocky Marciano, then I'd have to respectfully disagree with you sir.

Modern advances in training has had great impact on other sports, but it's hardly effected boxing.

Where's your basis for disagreeing? Modern boxers with outstanding stamina like Joe Calzaghe, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao don't use hightech diets or training methods, or anything else that wasn't available to Marciano. Boxing training hasn't moved far from the standard; road work, heavybag, speed bag, jump rope, situps, mitts, sparring.

Modern advances in training has had great impact on other sports, but it's hardly effected boxing.

Where's your basis for disagreeing? Modern boxers with outstanding stamina like Joe Calzaghe, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao don't use hightech diets or training methods, or anything else that wasn't available to Marciano. Boxing training hasn't moved far from the standard; road work, heavybag, speed bag, jump rope, situps, mitts, sparring.

Even if I were to accept your assertion (which I don't), you leave out nutrition. These guys aren't putting the same things in their bodies that marciano did. They have the benefit of supplements and advanced knowledge of biochemistry at their disposal. Also, if you look through all of the weight classes in boxing, the guys are bigger now, stronger now, and faster now. Training methods and nutritional science have lead to this.

You know what? I'm the asshole here...i shit in everyone's sandbox. No one wants to hear about reality when they're playing "time travel champ". my bad.

Back