Prime RJJ vs. Marciano

In a 12 round fight, Jones has a chance. But the odds would be against him if you consider that Marciano knew when to bite the bullet and accept punishment to deliver punishment.

RJJ can beat just about anybody that lived and laced up the gloves. That mans talent is just that good

Roy was a much more technical fighter, and much more athletic.

marciano makes it to the 8 th on heart. But it would look like mayweather vs gatti.

Its funny, the same people who say "the current heavyweights in the ufc, are better than the ones from 2 years ago" are the same people who won't acknowledge the technical and athletic superiority of the boxers of recent times to the old boxers of yesteryear.

Klitschko would absolutely destroy muhammed ali. Ali wouldn't even be a heavyweight. he was 6-215. A small cruiserweight.

Marciano was a sloppy puncher, who didn't even have a challenge in the days he fought. He was a hard arm puncher. He would get tooled by a lot of the current champs.

marciano makes it to the 8 th on heart. But it would look like mayweather vs gatti.

Its funny, the same people who say "the current heavyweights in the ufc, are better than the ones from 2 years ago" are the same people who won't acknowledge the technical and athletic superiority of the boxers of recent times to the old boxers of yesteryear.

Klitschko would absolutely destroy muhammed ali. Ali wouldn't even be a heavyweight. he was 6-215. A small cruiserweight.

Marciano was a sloppy puncher, who didn't even have a challenge in the days he fought. He was a hard arm puncher. He would get tooled by a lot of the current champs.

Roy Jones isn't that technical, just athletic. His punches were never the most technical in terms of the way they were thrown, but his athleticism was such that he didn't have to be too technically sound to be effective.

And while I do believe RJJ had a good chance to beat Marciano with both in their primes, I think both Klitschkos (which one did you mean? I personally think Wlad lasts longer than Vitali) would get their butts beat by a prime Ali. I'm talking Ali pre-ban from boxing. And he would be a heavyweight. 6'3 and 215 is not a small cruiserweigt. Cruiserweight's limit is 200.

Last edited:

Wait till Kid McCoy gets a hold of this post.

You really think Wlad could have gotten through a prime Liston and Foreman? Wlad has what over Ali? Chin, handspeed, technical superiority, punching power...etc are all in favour of Ali. And Marciano was a bulldog with underrated defense. Sure he was hittable but he hit hard, could take a beating to give one. This is a man who beat the Brown Bomber for crying out loud (albeit an old Bomber).

To the question at hand I don't think Roy can survive 12 rounds with Marciano. I think he'd tag him early and often but would wilt and lose in the later rounds.

You really think Wlad could have gotten through a prime Liston and Foreman? Wlad has what over Ali? Chin, handspeed, technical superiority, punching power...etc are all in favour of Ali. And Marciano was a bulldog with underrated defense. Sure he was hittable but he hit hard, could take a beating to give one. This is a man who beat the Brown Bomber for crying out loud (albeit an old Bomber).

To the question at hand I don't think Roy can survive 12 rounds with Marciano. I think he'd tag him early and often but would wilt and lose in the later rounds.

Wlad and vlad, would have pounded ali. A lot of ali/tyson new fans never actually watch a full fight, they watch highlights.

Ali used the jab. He had a long reach for his height, and was able to keep everyone at bay. Styles make fights, and klitschkos both have a huge height and reach advantage on ali. NO way in hell he can just circle jab clinch with them. Ali didn't have great power either. So i don't see any chance of him winning. George would have a chance just because of his power, but i see him losing as well.

Roy wasn't a great technician, and i never claimed he was, i just said he was much more technical than marciano. Marciano was a wild fighter. He was sloppier than ricky hatton. He had zero defense. Most would make mince meat out of him.

I don't want to start insulting you, but you are on straight up crack, perhaps meth, if you think ali has klits beat in punching power..... ali fought 56 fights with only 36 koes

wlad has fought 54 fights and has 48 koes. Not that statistic means much, but its fairly obvious ali was never a power puncher.

For fucks sake, marciano blocked punches with his face. He wouldn't be considered shit today, you know how i know that? What do people think of gatti, hatton? Oh they hit hard, but they aren't technical in any sense.

i would take RJJ.

i am incredibly biased as RJJ is my favorite boxer.

Don't worry about being biased.

The only advantage rjj doesn't possess is power.

Speed
athleticism
defense
technical ability

RJj would destroy marciano

The Road Warrior Glengoffe Johnson is about the physical size of The Rock (Glen's a bit lighter though) and is a pressure-fighter, except The Rock was naturally well over 200 lbs and trained himself down to a razor-sharp rugged 185 lbs.

Glen's pressure got to Roy and one right hand was all it took to knock Roy completely cold.
Glen's right hand ain't on a par with the Suzie-Q.

Depends on the times though too because Roy would have Marciano's face all cut up, and in the old days, they let it go, and nowadays they stop it pretty quick on a cut.

I can't see Roy Jones lasting 15 rds with Marciano.
I can see Roy being a good front-runner for a few rds.

Roy also did not fight several of the best fighters of his era, fights that would have defined him.
Weell, Roy's fighting them now, but it's too late; the magic is gone.
He should have fought them in 1998, '99, 2000, 2001 when he probably would have beaten those outstanding fighters.

I've always thought that these sorts of arguments are impossible and pointless. Are we giving Marciano the benefit of 1990s level nutrition and conditioning techniques? Guys from different eras had different tools in their toolboxes, unfair to compare.

I've always thought that these sorts of arguments are impossible and pointless. Are we giving Marciano the benefit of 1990s level nutrition and conditioning techniques? Guys from different eras had different tools in their toolboxes, unfair to compare.

Ok that is a separate issue.

Yes if a lot of these guys had updated training, for sure they could still hang.

But if we had a time machine and transported them here, they would lose

Wlad and vlad, would have pounded ali. A lot of ali/tyson new fans never actually watch a full fight, they watch highlights.

Ali used the jab. He had a long reach for his height, and was able to keep everyone at bay. Styles make fights, and klitschkos both have a huge height and reach advantage on ali. NO way in hell he can just circle jab clinch with them. Ali didn't have great power either. So i don't see any chance of him winning. George would have a chance just because of his power, but i see him losing as well.

Roy wasn't a great technician, and i never claimed he was, i just said he was much more technical than marciano. Marciano was a wild fighter. He was sloppier than ricky hatton. He had zero defense. Most would make mince meat out of him.

You're talking out of your ass on that claim. According to Boxrec.com:

Muhammad Ali:
Height- 6'3
Reach- 80"

Wladimir Klitschko:
Height- 6'6.5"
Reach- 81"

Vitali Klitschko:
Height- 6'7.5"
Reach- 80"

So while they were taller than Ali by a few inches, their reach was nearly the same.
The tallest fighter Ali faced was Ernie Terrell, who (once again, according to boxrec.com) stood 6'6" and had a wingspan of 82", and as such, is comparable to Wladimir in terms of dimension (I don't know the weights of both offhand).

Look what Ali did to Terrell. And yes, I'm well aware of Ali's finger-into-eye move that more than likely wouldn't fly in the modern era. Then again, we let Holyfield fight Tyson with part of his ear bitten off.

Rock puts RJ to sleep if he catches him. But the question is can he catch him? Roy in his prime was beautiful to watch.

lol...ok...yeah, older fighters were smaller, slower, less conditioned on the average. it really wouldn't be fair. especially when you're talking about a guy like marciano taking on a complete product of modern day conditioning like Roy Jones Jr.

ripped fuel > a pot of joe any day

There's no way Ali hits harder than Wlad.

Back