Potential UFC/MMA Prospect Donovan Wisse, can he be the next Kickboxer to transition to MMA and be the next Alex Pereira?

SadBunny

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Donovan Wisse is a rising star in Glory Kickboxing and current Middleweight champion, to his predecessor Alex Pereira.

Wisse is expected to be a future Glory pound-for-pound GOAT.

UFC needs to snatch up this guy ASAP, they have been missing out on so many prospects and this is a chance to make up for all those misses.

Also, a chance to have back-to-back stars, a second Alex Pereira or someone with the potential to be even better.

Here is a video of him vs Cesar Almeida ; Protege and teammate of Alex Periera :

Would be a great fight to run back in the UFC, just like Alex vs Izzy.

Last edited:
I prefer Donovan in Kickboxing, I don't think his style would be very well suited for MMA. Plus Kickboxing is very cool where MMA is only kinda cool. Who wants to be a champ in a kinda cool sport? Like trying to be a champion in badminton

Oh you meant MMA prospect. I read the title and thought Wisse is lready top 5 p4p on BK how tf is he a prospet

I prefer Donovan in Kickboxing, I don't think his style would be very well suited for MMA. Plus Kickboxing is very cool where MMA is only kinda cool. Who wants to be a champ in a kinda cool sport? Like trying to be a champion in badminton
Most Americans dont even know what Glory Kickboxing is; by bringing in more guys like Alex Pereira, Glory and Kickboxing could be exposed to a much wider audience. (Look at what Messi has done for USA soccer.)

Most Americans dont even know what Glory Kickboxing is; by bringing in more guys like Alex Pereira, Glory and Kickboxing could be exposed to a much wider audience. (Look at what Messi has done for USA soccer.)
To be honest with you, I am an American and idk who Messi is. I get what you're saying though -- but personally, I don't agree. Imo the best way to get Kickboxing out to a wider audience is not through another sport, people have to see how exciting and technical it is by experiencing it first hand. That's what sold me on it, at least.

To be honest with you, I am an American and idk who Messi is. I get what you're saying though -- but personally, I don't agree. Imo the best way to get Kickboxing out to a wider audience is not through another sport, people have to see how exciting and technical it is by experiencing it first hand. That's what sold me on it, at least.
Do you live in the midwest or something? Messi is everywhere in states like Florida, California and New York. Look at wrestling in USA, its in every high school across the country. USA even bolsters an expansive collegiate repertoire, etc. Yet no one watches it. This is sports entertainment, at the end of the day we live a capitalist society, its a business and kickboxing is a product that needs to be sold.

Last edited:
Do you live in the midwest or something? Messi is everywhere in states like Florida, California and New York. Look at wrestling in USA, its in every high school across the country. USA even bolsters an expansive collegiate repertoire, etc. Yet no one watches it. This is sports entertainment, at the end of the day we live a capitalist society, its a business and kickboxing is a product that needs to be sold.
Heres the pure numbers(The spike is when Messi came to the USA):

Messi compared to interest in kickboxing. Kickboxing is just a blip.

Attachments

• messi.png
    messi.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
  • messVSKICKBOXINGi.png
    messVSKICKBOXINGi.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You're asking a bunch of kickboxing fans, in the kickboxing sub, if they think a top kickboxer should quit kickboxing and move to mma. You should really have created this in the ufc section because nobody here is gonna say "Oh yeah, he should go to mma".

You're asking a bunch of kickboxing fans, in the kickboxing sub, if they think a top kickboxer should quit kickboxing and move to mma. You should really have created this in the ufc section because nobody here is gonna say "Oh yeah, he should go to mma".

This was a requested repost from the fantasy matchups section, but thats fine that you feel that way. I did not mean to trigger you, I sincerely apologize.

Sherdog is an MMA forum, so honestly yeah should be saying that, Like thats the whole point of the UFC to find out which discipline is the best...

Let me ask you this though, do you think Alex Periera made a poor decision to switch to MMA?

Im out for now, ill get back to this eventually lol.

This was a requested repost from the fantasy matchups section, but thats fine that you feel that way. I did not mean to trigger you, I sincerely apologize.

Sherdog is an MMA forum, so honestly yeah should be saying that, Like thats the whole point of the UFC to find out which discipline is the best...

Let me ask you this though, do you think Alex Periera made a poor decision to switch to MMA?

Im out for now, ill get back to this eventually lol.

1. I'm not triggered.
2. This was a requested repost from someone who would rather they stay in kickboxing too, but that person also likes mma.
3. Sherdog is an mma forum, but acting like the whole point of each sub is for the ufc's benefit is just an idiotic take. Do you think if you pop into the boxing sub and ask if Tank or Naoya Inoue should go to the ufc everyone would be like "hell yeah brother!". No, people in the boxing sub don't like mma, regardless of what this site is for.
4. Do i think Alex made a bad decision for him? Obviously not, but nobody here wanted him to go to mma in the first place.

I live in VA. We have the standard big three (basketball, baseball, football), but lacrosse is also immensely popular here. The few soccer heads I run into are usually northerners or Hispanic/Latino folks, so it makes sense that it's popular in NYC, FL, CA, etc. I have found that VA/MD/DC/DE are kinda their own little culture group from the rest of the US -- in the same way we distinguish between the north and south, the mid-atlantic is very much its own thing. I guess soccer just hasn't really broken through yet here, but I'm sure it will eventually (full disclosure: I thought Messi's full name was Ronaldo Messi before your post prompted me to Google him. Turns out my brain fused two soccer stars together lol).

I live in VA. We have the standard big three (basketball, baseball, football), but lacrosse is also immensely popular here. The few soccer heads I run into are usually northerners or Hispanic/Latino folks, so it makes sense that it's popular in NYC, FL, CA, etc. I have found that VA/MD/DC/DE are kinda their own little culture group from the rest of the US -- in the same way we distinguish between the north and south, the mid-atlantic is very much its own thing. I guess soccer just hasn't really broken through yet here, but I'm sure it will eventually (full disclosure: I thought Messi's full name was Ronaldo Messi before your post prompted me to Google him. Turns out my brain fused two soccer stars together lol).

It just shows how little influence huge footballers going to America has when people talk about Messi going there as if he's the first. Huge names have gone to America at the twilight of their careers for YEARS and it never makes the sport gain consistent traction among the casuals there. I'm also not sure how Messi staying in football but moving to America at the end of his career to get easy wins and a decent paycheck, has any relation to kickboxers leaving kickboxing to do mma.

As the guy in this sub who watches the most boxing, if some huge star from mma came to boxing and did good, it wouldn't make me want to watch mma... i'm watching the product i want to watch to begin with.

It just shows how little influence huge footballers going to America has when people talk about Messi going there as if he's the first. Huge names have gone to America at the twilight of their careers for YEARS and it never makes the sport gain consistent traction among the casuals there.
I remember some English soccer guy coming to the US and it was big on social media for a little bit, but only because everyone thought he was so handsome. It quickly died out and everyone went back to watching Basketball/Football. America is a weird place -- a lot of stuff that makes sense or is popular in other parts of the world just doesn't click here, and vice-versa. Our infrastructure is ass and we are not nearly as culturally unified as American media let's on, so that doesn't do anyone favors. It is what it is I guess.

I'm also not sure how Messi staying in football but moving to America at the end of his career to get easy wins and a decent paycheck, has any relation to kickboxers leaving kickboxing to do mma.
I think it's one of the side effects of capitalism. Why keep pushing your body and mind so hard to be at the top when you get the same pay or more dunking on B-leaguers? Money runs everything, even in areas where it doesn't need to.

As the guy in this sub who watches the most boxing, if some huge star from mma came to boxing and did good, it wouldn't make me want to watch mma... i'm watching the product i want to watch to begin with.
Exactly. I've seen enough MMA (and strikers going to MMA) to know that is not what I am looking for. Couldn't care less if someone from another sport does well in Kickboxing or vice-versa, I just want to watch more Kickboxing.

Messi?

no idea.

Not my sport.

As for Donovan Wisse he has potential would like to see his ground game.

Why not just keep him in kickboxing where he can demonstrate his skills to the maximum level without compromise?

I love MMA but honestly its gotten too striking heavy to me these days, in the UFC anyway, to the point where it starts to feel redundant as a sport.

Former glory champ Cedric Doumbe is doing pretty good in MMA and got signed by UFC briefly

Donovan Wisse is a rising star in Glory Kickboxing and current Middleweight champion, to his predecessor Alex Pereira.
His predecessor was Artim Vakhitov, and WIsse is only champion because Glory gave Artim the boot for being Russian.

Well they already took in Izzy and Alex, and it made no difference for Glory. Wisse doesn't have nearly the star power as they did.

Last edited:
Back