Post Your Gloves/Gear

View attachment 826550

Here’s my little collection right now.

From left to right ->

10oz TopBoxer alien
12oz Cleto Reyes training
10oz Fairtex BGV9
12oz Fairtex BGV9

Really loving the TopBoxer and Fairtex gloves! The Cleto Reyes are sorta the trophy gloves now.
All things Reyes are great. Great gloves you got there brother. I know, it’s addictive. It’s very gratifying to be in great shape and really whopping on the heavy bag or hitting the mitts in a great pair of gloves.

full

New family photo. Reyes 10oz & HyperKOs unused due to gym situation

full

New family photo. Reyes 10oz & HyperKOs unused due to gym situation
Great family there brother. I am a huge Reyes fan. But those New Sporting look very good too. Question for you. I noticed the Superior gloves. I’m tempted to get a pair. How do they perform? There are 2 Texas A&M students at my gym who are primarily soccer players and both have Superior gloves. They don’t spar but train to condition for soccer. They rave about the gloves. How do they stack up to your Mexican family members? I’ve heard good things about Superior and the price cannot be beat.

Great family there brother. I am a huge Reyes fan. But those New Sporting look very good too. Question for you. I noticed the Superior gloves. I’m tempted to get a pair. How do they perform? There are 2 Texas A&M students at my gym who are primarily soccer players and both have Superior gloves. They don’t spar but train to condition for soccer. They rave about the gloves. How do they stack up to your Mexican family members? I’ve heard good things about Superior and the price cannot be beat.
The New Sporting look better than they perform. Were they not unique to me, I probably would have tried to sell them a while ago.
I like the Superiors a lot. I bought them after seeing a little bit of hype being generated online so I gave it a shot.I have them in 14oz and have done ~150 rounds on mitts and bag, with no signs of degradation. I was worried about the stitching on something so cheap but they are holding up fine. They have a nice and compact profile and have a good length for me in the fingers and thumb. Wrist support is non-existent so I make sure the wraps are done properly and have no problems

I'm kind of new to being active into this forum. I'm a boxing lover from Mexico, and have been actively practicing it as a hobby for several years now. Collecting equipment, trying it out, trading and anything related that I can find to engage more with the boxing community, is what have brought me here.

What are your personal thoughts about Casanova's?
I'm a medium hand size, and for me, I've felt that my hand fit in Casanova is a bit loose, even with a well made hand wrapping. However, I love the "look" of Casanova. Similar with Campeon.
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-19 at 5.33.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-22 at 4.06.31 PM.jpeg

I guess in part it goes down to personal style and preferences, but given my hand size and preference, I enjoy more punching when using some tighter gloves, like any Zepol - and its branches - or Boxeo, in that order.
I've seen Zepol's and Boxeo are more commonly used in the local gyms I used to train in Mexico city.

Have you used any Zepol's branch or Boxeo lately?
Boxeo has a very particular fit to hands, and I would think is not made for big hand sizes [1.80+ m tall]. At least from several pairs I've seen taller mates try. For mid/small hands, these gloves fit strong and feels very nice when punching hard.
The weak element I'd give to Boxeo, is their "look" is not as nice as other Mexican brands, I guess in part could be to Boxeo gloves being made from Goat leather. From about 10~ pairs I've had of Boxeo, there's been issue with thumb finger position on 2 pairs. That is some high deviation. Considering that all of mexican local brands, doesn't really have an existing quality process, Boxeo has a bit more to improve regarding the latter.
boxeo_blue_14oz.33926

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 14.15.22 (1).jpeg

The Zepol, Lopez, Gil - and any of its branches, however, to me, these are the less "known" or less commercialized, but by far the best in fitting, feeling, punching sensation and padding. Their "look" is also very fancy and unique. The tagging of the brand and brand sticker is what I would suggest could still be improved.
lopez_16.33927

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.57 PM.jpeg

What mostly have got me into the loving of Made in Mexico local brands, is their uniqueness of producers not making productions of the same colors/ designs, and instead, they just produce as per request of each customer order they receive. I have the feeling, that in future, having any of these handmade pieces of equipment would be valued as collectibles - which some already mean that to me.

I would be happy to keep chatting and knowing more about your boxing suggestions and opinions. If you would like to catch me up for any boxing related subject or help me with your comments improve in my training posting, you can catch me up at my Instagram profile as @theboxingcollector

Cheers,
Edgar

@Edgar Martinez
Do you find any differences between Zepol & Gil?
I've thought about getting Zepol for a long time, but I really do not like Gil.

Well, I haven't used Zepol in the last years. What I've been told from Mexico city coaches and heard from Lopez/ Gil owners, is that Zepol owner passed away and because brand wasn't legally transferred, basically this brand stopped producing. Then Gil and Lopez, somehow are family related and used to work with Zepol, which they've then started their own brand, but following very much the same style.

I've just found a Zepol seller and producer, which I then asked to Lopez owner, and they said it doesn't really belongs to them. However, I was watching some videos they posted, and seems weird as the accent of the guy speaking through the Zepol's video, isn't Mexican at all.... who knows.

Now, to your specific question. In the last months/ years, I've only wear Gil and Lopez gloves, and their style, hand mold, is very much the same. I would think that if you don't find comfortable with Gil's gloves, you wouldn't find any much better with the Lopez or Zepol's.

@ericPorkChop what is your height and hand size [S, M, L]? As you may know, average Mexican we aren't tall, you would mostly find short and medium size people, height speaking. Which very often that would drive the hand size.

What is it you didn't liked about Gil gloves?

Have you tried Casanova's or Campeon before?

@ericPorkChop what is your height and hand size [S, M, L]? As you may know, average Mexican we aren't tall, you would mostly find short and medium size people, height speaking. Which very often that would drive the hand size.

What is it you didn't liked about Gil gloves?

Have you tried Casanova's or Campeon before?
My height is 5'10 (178cm). My hand size is Medium to Large. My wrists are small.

I don't like the padding on Gil gloves and the wrists are so large I can slide my wrapped hand in easily, even when it's laced up as tight as possible. The padding just feels weird - too bouncy.

I love Casanova and Campeon - those are some of my favorite gloves. I like the combate edition Casanova with the welted seams and slightly smaller hand compartment. My Campeons are hybrids and almost perfect.

Maybe if Zepol is gone, I should try Lopez?
I tried Classics a long time ago (15 years ago), better than Gil, but the leather wasn't very nice. I heard Classics have improved a lot since then.

My height is 5'10 (178cm). My hand size is Medium to Large. My wrists are small.

I don't like the padding on Gil gloves and the wrists are so large I can slide my wrapped hand in easily, even when it's laced up as tight as possible. The padding just feels weird - too bouncy.

I love Casanova and Campeon - those are some of my favorite gloves. I like the combate edition Casanova with the welted seams and slightly smaller hand compartment. My Campeons are hybrids and almost perfect.

Maybe if Zepol is gone, I should try Lopez?
I tried Classics a long time ago (15 years ago), better than Gil, but the leather wasn't very nice. I heard Classics have improved a lot since then.

To be honest, I think if you don't love your Gil gloves, you might not love Lopez either. Unless you like having used and collecting all different brands, that would be the only reason I would suggest you getting some Lopez.

It seems to me from your description, we might be very similar in height and size, so if you are looking for snug fit gloves, Boxeo could be a different option to try out. Expecting a different style of glove than to Gil, Lopez, Zepol.

Classics I've only heard of them and seen them on the Internet. Still haven't been able to acquire some pair to test them.

From my recreational boxing experience being active in about 4 gyms in Mexico City, Cleto Reyes, Boxeo, Zepol (and its branches) and Campeon were the most common gear local people would have - in that order.

Edgar

I like Boxeos but I gave away my pair.
I'll probably stick with Reyes, Campeon, and Casanova.
Thanks!

To be honest, I think if you don't love your Gil gloves, you might not love Lopez either. Unless you like having used and collecting all different brands, that would be the only reason I would suggest you getting some Lopez.

It seems to me from your description, we might be very similar in height and size, so if you are looking for snug fit gloves, Boxeo could be a different option to try out. Expecting a different style of glove than to Gil, Lopez, Zepol.

Classics I've only heard of them and seen them on the Internet. Still haven't been able to acquire some pair to test them.

From my recreational boxing experience being active in about 4 gyms in Mexico City, Cleto Reyes, Boxeo, Zepol (and its branches) and Campeon were the most common gear local people would have - in that order.

Edgar
Hii i want to ask if all that gloves you mention before, can they custom with soft lining? I have tried campeon, boxeo, casanova, they are very good gloves but do you know which one of them can make soft lining at least like reyes or tm? Thnx

Hii i want to ask if all that gloves you mention before, can they custom with soft lining? I have tried campeon, boxeo, casanova, they are very good gloves but do you know which one of them can make soft lining at least like reyes or tm? Thnx

Hi @Endy
The lining you mean the inside lining I assume? I don't know, to be honest I've never considered asking for that, only the standard elements customization. i.e. colors, closure

I guess is just about asking, and guessing it might depend on each brand how open/ flexible they are into their customization. Will ask this to some of this makers and see what they say.

Edgar

Just a heads up, in Japan, they wear full-finger cloth gloves under their gloves or wraps.
This might be an easy solution instead of ordering a custom liner.
In the States, the closest thing I've seen are full-finger compression arthritis gloves
https://smile.amazon.com/Developed-Fingered-Arthritis-Compression-Handbook/dp/B078P57VHG

Hi @Endy
The lining you mean the inside lining I assume? I don't know, to be honest I've never considered asking for that, only the standard elements customization. i.e. colors, closure

I guess is just about asking, and guessing it might depend on each brand how open/ flexible they are into their customization. Will ask this to some of this makers and see what they say.

Edgar

hii, yess correct, i mean the inside lining. Usually they have rug lining and hard. I think if they have good inside lining like rival, it will be awesome. Just my opinion. Thank you for sharing the information.

Just a heads up, in Japan, they wear full-finger cloth gloves under their gloves or wraps.
This might be an easy solution instead of ordering a custom liner.
In the States, the closest thing I've seen are full-finger compression arthritis gloves
https://smile.amazon.com/Developed-Fingered-Arthritis-Compression-Handbook/dp/B078P57VHG

Hii thank you very much for sharing this one and also including the link. I will try to check them.
Ohh and this also make me remember, i saw they use the inside gloves like this in their gym. I thought they use it so the boxing gloves will not become smelly lol.

View attachment 826550

Here’s my little collection right now.

From left to right ->

10oz TopBoxer alien
12oz Cleto Reyes training
10oz Fairtex BGV9
12oz Fairtex BGV9

Really loving the TopBoxer and Fairtex gloves! The Cleto Reyes are sorta the trophy gloves now.
Question for you. I have been very intrigued by the Fairtex gloves I see. They seem very well made and although I have never tried on a pair, they seem to have a great profile, how do they compare overall to your Reyes or Topboxer Aliens. Those I’m very familiar with, I have a nephew who is having a mid-20s crisis and left his job as a petrochemical engineer to fight MMA. I want to buy him some really nice Fairtex and your opinion would help.

Question for you. I have been very intrigued by the Fairtex gloves I see. They seem very well made and although I have never tried on a pair, they seem to have a great profile, how do they compare overall to your Reyes or Topboxer Aliens. Those I’m very familiar with, I have a nephew who is having a mid-20s crisis and left his job as a petrochemical engineer to fight MMA. I want to buy him some really nice Fairtex and your opinion would help.

my first pair of gloves was the bvg9 I was very impressed with them I had them in 14oz great for bag and pads. I have had bvg1 but didn’t like the lack of grip bar but might be more suited to mma and I had a pair of f day gloves that I sold as soon as I got them as they were just terrible in terms of the synthetic leather

Last edited:

I really enjoy the versatility of the Fairtex BGV1. Yes they lack a grip bar, but I just make one with the wrap on my palm. No issue with making a fist so far. They are great for bag, pads and sparring as well.

They have some breathabke models with a grip bar as well.

Top Boxer Aliens are completely different and more suitable for bag and pad work as the padding is really hard and takes a long time to break in.

Back