Post Your Gloves/Gear

My height is 5'10 (178cm). My hand size is Medium to Large. My wrists are small.

I don't like the padding on Gil gloves and the wrists are so large I can slide my wrapped hand in easily, even when it's laced up as tight as possible. The padding just feels weird - too bouncy.

I love Casanova and Campeon - those are some of my favorite gloves. I like the combate edition Casanova with the welted seams and slightly smaller hand compartment. My Campeons are hybrids and almost perfect.

Maybe if Zepol is gone, I should try Lopez?
I tried Classics a long time ago (15 years ago), better than Gil, but the leather wasn't very nice. I heard Classics have improved a lot since then.

To be honest, I think if you don't love your Gil gloves, you might not love Lopez either. Unless you like having used and collecting all different brands, that would be the only reason I would suggest you getting some Lopez.

It seems to me from your description, we might be very similar in height and size, so if you are looking for snug fit gloves, Boxeo could be a different option to try out. Expecting a different style of glove than to Gil, Lopez, Zepol.

Classics I've only heard of them and seen them on the Internet. Still haven't been able to acquire some pair to test them.

From my recreational boxing experience being active in about 4 gyms in Mexico City, Cleto Reyes, Boxeo, Zepol (and its branches) and Campeon were the most common gear local people would have - in that order.

Edgar

I like Boxeos but I gave away my pair.
I'll probably stick with Reyes, Campeon, and Casanova.
Thanks!

To be honest, I think if you don't love your Gil gloves, you might not love Lopez either. Unless you like having used and collecting all different brands, that would be the only reason I would suggest you getting some Lopez.

It seems to me from your description, we might be very similar in height and size, so if you are looking for snug fit gloves, Boxeo could be a different option to try out. Expecting a different style of glove than to Gil, Lopez, Zepol.

Classics I've only heard of them and seen them on the Internet. Still haven't been able to acquire some pair to test them.

From my recreational boxing experience being active in about 4 gyms in Mexico City, Cleto Reyes, Boxeo, Zepol (and its branches) and Campeon were the most common gear local people would have - in that order.

Edgar
Hii i want to ask if all that gloves you mention before, can they custom with soft lining? I have tried campeon, boxeo, casanova, they are very good gloves but do you know which one of them can make soft lining at least like reyes or tm? Thnx

Hii i want to ask if all that gloves you mention before, can they custom with soft lining? I have tried campeon, boxeo, casanova, they are very good gloves but do you know which one of them can make soft lining at least like reyes or tm? Thnx

Hi @Endy
The lining you mean the inside lining I assume? I don't know, to be honest I've never considered asking for that, only the standard elements customization. i.e. colors, closure

I guess is just about asking, and guessing it might depend on each brand how open/ flexible they are into their customization. Will ask this to some of this makers and see what they say.

Edgar

Just a heads up, in Japan, they wear full-finger cloth gloves under their gloves or wraps.
This might be an easy solution instead of ordering a custom liner.
In the States, the closest thing I've seen are full-finger compression arthritis gloves
https://smile.amazon.com/Developed-Fingered-Arthritis-Compression-Handbook/dp/B078P57VHG

Hi @Endy
The lining you mean the inside lining I assume? I don't know, to be honest I've never considered asking for that, only the standard elements customization. i.e. colors, closure

I guess is just about asking, and guessing it might depend on each brand how open/ flexible they are into their customization. Will ask this to some of this makers and see what they say.

Edgar

hii, yess correct, i mean the inside lining. Usually they have rug lining and hard. I think if they have good inside lining like rival, it will be awesome. Just my opinion. Thank you for sharing the information.

Just a heads up, in Japan, they wear full-finger cloth gloves under their gloves or wraps.
This might be an easy solution instead of ordering a custom liner.
In the States, the closest thing I've seen are full-finger compression arthritis gloves
https://smile.amazon.com/Developed-Fingered-Arthritis-Compression-Handbook/dp/B078P57VHG

Hii thank you very much for sharing this one and also including the link. I will try to check them.
Ohh and this also make me remember, i saw they use the inside gloves like this in their gym. I thought they use it so the boxing gloves will not become smelly lol.

View attachment 826550

Here’s my little collection right now.

From left to right ->

10oz TopBoxer alien
12oz Cleto Reyes training
10oz Fairtex BGV9
12oz Fairtex BGV9

Really loving the TopBoxer and Fairtex gloves! The Cleto Reyes are sorta the trophy gloves now.
Question for you. I have been very intrigued by the Fairtex gloves I see. They seem very well made and although I have never tried on a pair, they seem to have a great profile, how do they compare overall to your Reyes or Topboxer Aliens. Those I’m very familiar with, I have a nephew who is having a mid-20s crisis and left his job as a petrochemical engineer to fight MMA. I want to buy him some really nice Fairtex and your opinion would help.

Question for you. I have been very intrigued by the Fairtex gloves I see. They seem very well made and although I have never tried on a pair, they seem to have a great profile, how do they compare overall to your Reyes or Topboxer Aliens. Those I’m very familiar with, I have a nephew who is having a mid-20s crisis and left his job as a petrochemical engineer to fight MMA. I want to buy him some really nice Fairtex and your opinion would help.

my first pair of gloves was the bvg9 I was very impressed with them I had them in 14oz great for bag and pads. I have had bvg1 but didn’t like the lack of grip bar but might be more suited to mma and I had a pair of f day gloves that I sold as soon as I got them as they were just terrible in terms of the synthetic leather

Last edited:

I really enjoy the versatility of the Fairtex BGV1. Yes they lack a grip bar, but I just make one with the wrap on my palm. No issue with making a fist so far. They are great for bag, pads and sparring as well.

They have some breathabke models with a grip bar as well.

Top Boxer Aliens are completely different and more suitable for bag and pad work as the padding is really hard and takes a long time to break in.

that's a bit of a "yikes"
He lost his father/my brother in an fatal accident. Really grew up without him as he was in the oil business too. His father was a rodeo cowboy and former PRCA bullfighting clown. I think he wanted to try something that essentially “put it all on the line” like his father. Now I’m no psychologist but that’s what it appears to be. He is undefeated as an amateur in BJJ, kickboxing and Muay Thai separately. He probably best in kickboxing from what I can see. Probably because I understand the boxing part a lot more. Walked away from a really well paying career to try the MMA thing. He trains in whatever gloves are available without much thought into it. I told him my experience tells me if your going to pursue this seriously, your gear needs to reflect that. I bought him a pair of Combat Corner 16oz lace ups (Handmade in Thailand) and a pair of lace-n-loops. I want to get him some Fairtex gloves BGV though because the ability in and out of your gloves is a premium in MMA.

Just got my Isami gloves in the mail. Not a very common glove, but I'm very impressed with the quality of these gloves. They are very similar to Winning, just a little bit firmer.

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_114740_281.jpg
    IMG_20210201_114740_281.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 29
Thinking about just pulling the trigger and investing in Winning gloves to preserve my hands. Been boxing for about 4.5 years now though, and for some reason it feels like i'm not ''worthy'' of wearing such expensive gloves when boxers a lot better than me train with less.

Thinking about just pulling the trigger and investing in Winning gloves to preserve my hands. Been boxing for about 4.5 years now though, and for some reason it feels like i'm not ''worthy'' of wearing such expensive gloves when boxers a lot better than me train with less.
That's always my thoughts....£400 for some gloves is a bit much for me....like buying some gucci shoes when you drive a Toyota yaris

That's always my thoughts....£400 for some gloves is a bit much for me....like buying some gucci shoes when you drive a Toyota yaris

Haha what a nice comparison. On the other side, have you heard the say "Fake it until you make it"? Perhaps for some people works following under this line. <Lmaoo>

Haha what a nice comparison. On the other side, have you heard the say "Fake it until you make it"? Perhaps for some people works following under this line. <Lmaoo>
It’s about priorities you have I don’t think I have ever owned a car (exc my wife’s) that cost more than my watch....maybe I like cheap cars haha

Winning gloves are the best boxing gloves made for what they are designed for-hand protection and sparring. When they arrived, I was marveled at the attention to detail. Stitching was perfect, padding was soft and pliable, the leather was beautiful and supple. Almost perfect. I say almost because let me tell you about the downside of Winning gloves. As you know, they are a significant investment and the casual or occasion training session simply does not justify the cost. But that’s not the downside. I’m 57 years old and have been punching things, bags, mitts, balls, and other people for 44 of those years. I train 6-7 days a week until my body demands rest. I’m obsessed with training and it’s the highlight of my day. I have trained in good gloves and I’ve trained in bad gloves. When you train as I have for most of my life I can tell you that bad gloves lead to bad outcomes. I have fought as an amateur and masters level boxer until I was 52. My hands began to get sore more often and occasionally, in spite of my experience, I would injure my hands or wrists. Gloves became important in my early 30’s and critical when I turned 40. I have never hurt my hands in a boxing match. I have always hurt my hands during a training session, usually a tweaked knuckle or cranked a wrist. So I pulled the trigger after much thought and consideration. And the almost perfect pair of black MS-600s lace ups arrived. Authentic and expensive. I could not wait to train in them and train I did. My gym partners noticed the gloves immediately. Lots of comments and compliments and I trained hard in them. I thought I would enjoy my “almost perfect” gloves. Because there is nothing more gratifying that being in top shape and wailing on the heavy bag and hearing that district “pop” from a well thrown punch or that dull “whomp” when striking the headgear of a sparring partner. I did not experience any of that. Yes, I trained at the edge of my physical ability, yes, I sparred in them. After about 2 weeks, my hands felt great but I was not enjoying my almost perfect gloves at all. Here’s why. I spent a total of over $479 to get those gloves on my hands. Every punch I throw I know I am 1 more punch; 1 more minute; 1 more round closer to having to replace them. It almost ruins having them. So my expensive almost perfect gloves sit in my spare gym bag in my home gym and I seldom use them. I did come up with a solution for my dilemma and I can tell you that my solution leaves me with complete ease and great joy in my training. I train in high end Mexican made gloves. Yes, they are somewhat expensive. But I can buy 3 pair at a time for the price of 1 almost perfect pair of Winning. I go through gloves the way most people go through tennis shoes. I have about 12-20 months before I have to replace them. Each brand is slightly different and each pair within each brand are slightly different. Casanova, Boxeo, Reyes and Campeon. (No Campeon right now) 16oz for bag and mitts, 18oz for Sparring. My absolute favorite pair of sparring gloves are Topboxer 20oz custom Aliens I had made. You’re not asking for advise, but I’ll offer some well intentioned advise anyway. Mexican gloves require a break-in period and the lining in them is uncomfortable for some. But Topboxer is among the absolute best gloves I have ever owned. Impeccable leather and stitching. Phenomenal padding and designed to punch like my Mexican gloves. If I do injure my hands or wrists, I still do not use my almost perfect gloves. I use Rival sparring gloves or some big old Everlast Protex3 gloves to train while my hands heal. You don’t have to buy them, but do yourself a favor and go on the Topboxer website. The cost for about the best custom pair of gloves you can design yourself, limited only by your imagination, is $149. I own 2 pair and when I have occasion to train in these gloves, I am reminded how great a glove they really are. That’s my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Detailed answer
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insightful answer. The stock white version of the Alien Topboxer gloves was actually the other one I was looking at. I don't think I would feel bad about destroying the winnings over a few years if it meant my hands and wrists took less of a beating, but I definitely understand your points. Gonna think about it a bit more.

I love your replies @Badoldman.

I know I put up a joke about me not been good enough to use them but I'm in the same camp as you. I'd hate to use them on the heavy bag as each punch your wearing them down bit by bit....if i was to invest in a pair, which they are an investment, I'd use them only for sparring.

I do want a pair though....just reluctant to pay the price as I don't fight any more, just sparring when covid isn't about.

I second topboxer aliens, I have their stock pair and they're brilliant. Just be aware the 16oz foam is different to the 14oz and less.

Last edited:
Back