Post Your Gloves/Gear

I just joined the modern world and created an eBay account. I began looking immediately. I don’t know if this is a good thing or not. I saw 4-5 pairs of good gloves I wanted to buy.

There are many fakes on eBay. Feel free to post the pic of anything you need verified and we can all check em out for you before you buy.

There are many fakes on eBay. Feel free to post the pic of anything you need verified and we can all check em out for you before you buy.
I’ve seen where others have done so on here and been saved from a bad purchase. I have no problem admitting there are those on this forum who know more about gloves than I ever will. Here’s what really shocked me: I’ve seen the actual glove maker respond to questions on here. Topboxer, MXN-Hernandez, Beaulieu....

Where else does that happen.

Thanks. You can rest assured I will post prospective purchases on the forum.

I have one pair of 12 oz Twins gloves (black).
Might get another pair next year when the gym reopens

I have one pair of 12 oz Twins gloves (black).
Might get another pair next year when the gym reopens
If you e only got one pair of gloves twins is a good choice. Good quality and they last you a long time. I just got some 8oz twins for my collection and I love them

My brand, A1 Fight Gear's newest release of gloves. Cowhide leather priced at £39.97 :)

If any UK boxers/MMA fighters in here, hit me up for a discount if you want them. I'm trying to get these into the hands of as much pro/ammy fighters as possible for feedback. I really want to give people quality products but without having to take out a loan for the gear.

If you want to try them out, just hit me up at [email protected]

Attachments

• 1 Main Image - Red.jpg
    1 Main Image - Red.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1 Main Image - White.jpg
    1 Main Image - White.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 4 Why A1FG - Red.png
    4 Why A1FG - Red.png
    548.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 4 Why A1FG - White.png
    4 Why A1FG - White.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 14
I heard rumors flying around the internet that the Mexican versions are a little different in padding or something. Is that true?

BTW, Cleto Reyes does makes a special batch/type for Japan according to my friend. He showed me this video, but unfortunately I don't understand a lick of it. According to him, the padding is much softer. I guess Cletos think Japanese people are too used to "pillowy" and might not accept their regular type so they made one for the market.

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I just stumbled across it.
In the video they do make it sound like it's a Japan-only glove.
First time I watched it, I got the vibe that it was a special color scheme for Japan; however I think the real Japan-only aspect is the fact that it's an 8oz glove.
The lowest Reyes goes in velcro training gloves on their site is 12oz.
They commented that Reyes have an image of being a hard glove, because they're so well loved by hard punchers, but they mention that the gloves actually have soft padding.
At one point he asks about the finger tips and the guy says they're fine.
Next, cameraman asks if the thumb is a tight fit and the guy says "no".
So yeah, glove weight seems to be the difference.
My brother in law in Japan spars with 12s and most people train in gloves that are a lot smaller than the 16s I usually see recommended here.

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I just stumbled across it.
In the video they do make it sound like it's a Japan-only glove.
First time I watched it, I got the vibe that it was a special color scheme for Japan; however I think the real Japan-only aspect is the fact that it's an 8oz glove.
The lowest Reyes goes in velcro training gloves on their site is 12oz.
They commented that Reyes have an image of being a hard glove, because they're so well loved by hard punchers, but they mention that the gloves actually have soft padding.
At one point he asks about the finger tips and the guy says they're fine.
Next, cameraman asks if the thumb is a tight fit and the guy says "no".
So yeah, glove weight seems to be the difference.
My brother in law in Japan spars with 12s and most people train in gloves that are a lot smaller than the 16s I usually see recommended here.
Japan has a long legacy of combat sports. Their top of the line gear reflects that. Their culture demands it. However, a lot of their fighters tend to be in the lighter weight classes. That may attribute to their glove weights. Every now and then you see mammoth Japanese fighters though. I have often wonder what Okami and Kohsaka used in sparring, and although not super heavyweight fighters, they could strike. Japanese glove makers think highly of their fighting customers. The perfection of their gloves and gear reflect that. Everlast thinks we are stupid. Their low-end pathetic plastic toy gloves reflect that. Now I own Everlast gear. Powerlocks and Protex3 lace ups. Good gear, not great. I have spoken with beginners who want the classic Mexican puncher’s glove. I don’t discourage them but do point out that their gloves are made for fighters who want to transfer power secondarily to protection. Essentially the gloves are made to punch; that doesn’t mean you can punch. I often crank a wrist or tweak a knuckle and I have been punching for 44 of my 57 years. When my hands are sore, I will train with heavy Rival or Winning gloves. Protex3 is a great glove to rehab your hands in too. But ever time I hit the bag I’m thinking how I am reducing the life of the padding in my $500 Winning gloves. It’s like a Maserati. The car is made to drive fast. It does not mean that I am a great fast driver. The heaviest handed fighter at my gym let’s me spar with him when he’s tired. This guy has trouble finding someone to hold the mitts for him. He despises Mexican gloves and dislikes me hitting him with them even more. He has great big hams for hands. Big notty knuckles and is perpetually nursing hand injuries. He uses Winning almost exclusively. Bags, mitts, double end and sparring in spite of having sponsorship with the biggest glove maker in the professional fight game. Whenever press is in the gym filming him though, he has his Everlast gloves on. As soon as they leave, he puts his daily gloves on. He does prefer their fight gloves though. He does like their shoes and training apparel too. I weight 180 lbs/ 80 kilos now and competed as an amateur at 165 and I train in 16-20 ounce gloves depending on what I’m doing. Mostly 18 oz Reyes or 20 oz Topboxer for sparring though. I have never owned a glove lighter than 14 ounces. In my mind, my perfect glove does not exist. Real Mexican Casanova’s in 18oz. Necalli makes an 18oz glove. Gil makes an 18oz glove. But Casanova and Boxeo do not. Right now, my left thumb at the wrist joint is sore from hitting a 125 lb Everlast bag with 18oz Reyes gloves. I went as hard as I could and about 3 hours later, the soreness set in. So this evening, I’m putting on some Rival sparring pillows to train. Such is the life of an elderly yet committed man who loves training.

When my hands are sore, I will train with heavy Rival or Winning gloves. Protex3 is a great glove to rehab your hands in too. But ever time I hit the bag I’m thinking how I am reducing the life of the padding in my $500 Winning gloves. It’s like a Maserati. The car is made to drive fast. It does not mean that I am a great fast driver.
I've said it elsewhere, I refuse to hit the bags with my Winning gloves. I've used them three times on the bags and 2 of those times were when I first got them and tried to break them in. I don't even like the way they feel on the bags, but they are awesome for sparring.

Granted, some of this is how hard your bags are. You definitely need more hand protection with harder bags.
I weight 180 lbs/ 80 kilos now and competed as an amateur at 165 and I train in 16-20 ounce gloves depending on what I’m doing. Mostly 18 oz Reyes or 20 oz Topboxer for sparring though. I have never owned a glove lighter than 14 ounces. In my mind, my perfect glove does not exist. Real Mexican Casanova’s in 18oz. Necalli makes an 18oz glove. Gil makes an 18oz glove. But Casanova and Boxeo do not. Right now, my left thumb at the wrist joint is sore from hitting a 125 lb Everlast bag with 18oz Reyes gloves. I went as hard as I could and about 3 hours later, the soreness set in. So this evening, I’m putting on some Rival sparring pillows to train. Such is the life of an elderly yet committed man who loves training.
I'm 43. I was a kickboxer/muay thai guy most of my training life, but these days I can't kick the bags anymore because of all the damage I've done to my knees. Every year brings new and interesting issues with my body. I don't know how my glove weight choices will change over the next few years. I'm over 200, yet I wouldn't consider an old-timer's division amateur bout unless I was under 200. I still tend to get 16oz gloves. I mean, my heaviest pair are a pair of Reyes hybrid L, which weigh 20oz dry (get to 22~24oz when I'm sweating) - but I don't wear them often because I find that punching a lot with them tends to hurt my upper back. I don't see myself going as high as 18 ounces (labeled weight) regularly for the time being. Mexican gloves typically weigh 1 to 2 ounces over their advertised weight any way, though a lot of them use fairly thin latex padding - so I am still getting some training benefits of added weight, but with a lot of crunch. I don't know how many more years I'll be able to use those types of gloves.

For sparring, Winning 16s are lighter, and thinner, but more protective than most Mexican 16s for sure. My #2 sparring glove is a custom pair of Sabas Super Soft velcro 16 ounce that have a ton of padding (more than any other Sabas SS glove I've seen). I don't spar that often and while I haven't done much boxing sparring recently, before switching from muay thai to boxing I was never considered a hard puncher. I haven't had too many complaints or caused any bloody noses. Bigger gloves sure would make defense easier though.

Lately, I've been pleasantly surprised by my recent Reyes 16oz velcro glove pickup. I don't know if they're a narrow pair, or if they sized the purple color for women, but they're low profile, while still thickly padded and heavy (labeled 16, but weigh 18 and 19 ounces). My home bag is very hard (Pro Boxing Equipment 150lb 5' bag) and I can blast it with these gloves no problem. I really think this pair shows Reyes moving to multi-layer padding. The outer shell of the padding is still somewhat stiff, it will take maybe another month to really loosen up. The inner padding feels like memory foam. End result is a little like Winning with a more firm outer shell. Doesn't quite have the crunch of my other Mexican gloves, so it's a far cry from traditional Mexican latex, but they are nice to use. I don't see myself using any other glove for a while, possibly even sparring with them when the outer shell softens up. I see my knuckles holding up better with these than with a more traditional glove. In fact, I hurt my knuckle recently doing a home improvement project and haven't even noticed it when working out.

Hope we're both still boxing well beyond our 60s.

I've said it elsewhere, I refuse to hit the bags with my Winning gloves. I've used them three times on the bags and 2 of those times were when I first got them and tried to break them in. I don't even like the way they feel on the bags, but they are awesome for sparring.

Granted, some of this is how hard your bags are. You definitely need more hand protection with harder bags.

I'm 43. I was a kickboxer/muay thai guy most of my training life, but these days I can't kick the bags anymore because of all the damage I've done to my knees. Every year brings new and interesting issues with my body. I don't know how my glove weight choices will change over the next few years. I'm over 200, yet I wouldn't consider an old-timer's division amateur bout unless I was under 200. I still tend to get 16oz gloves. I mean, my heaviest pair are a pair of Reyes hybrid L, which weigh 20oz dry (get to 22~24oz when I'm sweating) - but I don't wear them often because I find that punching a lot with them tends to hurt my upper back. I don't see myself going as high as 18 ounces (labeled weight) regularly for the time being. Mexican gloves typically weigh 1 to 2 ounces over their advertised weight any way, though a lot of them use fairly thin latex padding - so I am still getting some training benefits of added weight, but with a lot of crunch. I don't know how many more years I'll be able to use those types of gloves.

For sparring, Winning 16s are lighter, and thinner, but more protective than most Mexican 16s for sure. My #2 sparring glove is a custom pair of Sabas Super Soft velcro 16 ounce that have a ton of padding (more than any other Sabas SS glove I've seen). I don't spar that often and while I haven't done much boxing sparring recently, before switching from muay thai to boxing I was never considered a hard puncher. I haven't had too many complaints or caused any bloody noses. Bigger gloves sure would make defense easier though.

Lately, I've been pleasantly surprised by my recent Reyes 16oz velcro glove pickup. I don't know if they're a narrow pair, or if they sized the purple color for women, but they're low profile, while still thickly padded and heavy (labeled 16, but weigh 18 and 19 ounces). My home bag is very hard (Pro Boxing Equipment 150lb 5' bag) and I can blast it with these gloves no problem. I really think this pair shows Reyes moving to multi-layer padding. The outer shell of the padding is still somewhat stiff, it will take maybe another month to really loosen up. The inner padding feels like memory foam. End result is a little like Winning with a more firm outer shell. Doesn't quite have the crunch of my other Mexican gloves, so it's a far cry from traditional Mexican latex, but they are nice to use. I don't see myself using any other glove for a while, possibly even sparring with them when the outer shell softens up. I see my knuckles holding up better with these than with a more traditional glove. In fact, I hurt my knuckle recently doing a home improvement project and haven't even noticed it when working out.

Hope we're both still boxing well beyond our 60s.
Good post brother. Training will keep us fit and young. I love all things Reyes. They have the best leather of any glove. We have couple of grey-beards (40+ year old) at my gym. One is a former kick-boxer and one is a Muay Thai fighter. Both have knee, back and hip problems. I have had occasion to compare notes regarding joint pain/problems and hand injuries-with both of them on separate occasions. The torque that kicking puts on your joints appears to be the cause of their problems. But both of these guys can punch really hard. I’m speaking from experience. One uses Fairtex BGL 6 and the other uses Combat Corner. There is something awkward about sparring with someone with a Muay Thai/Kickboxing background. Neither has really experienced hand problems to any extent. To be honest with you, there is something awkward about sparring with anyone at my age. I also do not spar very often. I sparred twice in December. On January 3rd, I was asked by the gym owner to spar so the New Years resolution fitness members could see what boxing training can do for older people. I sparred 3 rounds and I was very conscious that there were unlearned spectators. I felt slow and awkward. But when the session was over, the couples and groups of housewives who had joined the gym applauded. I was embarrassed at how satisfying that was. My glove weight selection has always been because I like to train with heavier gloves to condition my upper body. When I train with 18-20oz gloves, I can feel it in my chest, upper back, arms and shoulders. Like the young fighters say at my gym “..get in where you fit in...” I don’t think I can advise anyone really about glove weights. I have an opinion and it’s based on my experience. But I cannot say other opinions are wrong. I think you should use what you’re comfortable in considering how much time you’re going to spend in them. By the way there were a gym owned pair of Ring to Cage c-17s at my gym in 20oz that weighed 26 ounces after some kid used them in August. He told us he drank a pre-workout before coming to the gym. Man, that kid literally rung out his wraps after he took those gloves off.

View attachment 826550

Here’s my little collection right now.

From left to right ->

10oz TopBoxer alien
12oz Cleto Reyes training
10oz Fairtex BGV9
12oz Fairtex BGV9

Really loving the TopBoxer and Fairtex gloves! The Cleto Reyes are sorta the trophy gloves now.
All things Reyes are great. Great gloves you got there brother. I know, it’s addictive. It’s very gratifying to be in great shape and really whopping on the heavy bag or hitting the mitts in a great pair of gloves.

full

New family photo. Reyes 10oz & HyperKOs unused due to gym situation

full

New family photo. Reyes 10oz & HyperKOs unused due to gym situation
Great family there brother. I am a huge Reyes fan. But those New Sporting look very good too. Question for you. I noticed the Superior gloves. I’m tempted to get a pair. How do they perform? There are 2 Texas A&M students at my gym who are primarily soccer players and both have Superior gloves. They don’t spar but train to condition for soccer. They rave about the gloves. How do they stack up to your Mexican family members? I’ve heard good things about Superior and the price cannot be beat.

Great family there brother. I am a huge Reyes fan. But those New Sporting look very good too. Question for you. I noticed the Superior gloves. I’m tempted to get a pair. How do they perform? There are 2 Texas A&M students at my gym who are primarily soccer players and both have Superior gloves. They don’t spar but train to condition for soccer. They rave about the gloves. How do they stack up to your Mexican family members? I’ve heard good things about Superior and the price cannot be beat.
The New Sporting look better than they perform. Were they not unique to me, I probably would have tried to sell them a while ago.
I like the Superiors a lot. I bought them after seeing a little bit of hype being generated online so I gave it a shot.I have them in 14oz and have done ~150 rounds on mitts and bag, with no signs of degradation. I was worried about the stitching on something so cheap but they are holding up fine. They have a nice and compact profile and have a good length for me in the fingers and thumb. Wrist support is non-existent so I make sure the wraps are done properly and have no problems

I'm kind of new to being active into this forum. I'm a boxing lover from Mexico, and have been actively practicing it as a hobby for several years now. Collecting equipment, trying it out, trading and anything related that I can find to engage more with the boxing community, is what have brought me here.

What are your personal thoughts about Casanova's?
I'm a medium hand size, and for me, I've felt that my hand fit in Casanova is a bit loose, even with a well made hand wrapping. However, I love the "look" of Casanova. Similar with Campeon.
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-19 at 5.33.01 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-22 at 4.06.31 PM.jpeg

I guess in part it goes down to personal style and preferences, but given my hand size and preference, I enjoy more punching when using some tighter gloves, like any Zepol - and its branches - or Boxeo, in that order.
I've seen Zepol's and Boxeo are more commonly used in the local gyms I used to train in Mexico city.

Have you used any Zepol's branch or Boxeo lately?
Boxeo has a very particular fit to hands, and I would think is not made for big hand sizes [1.80+ m tall]. At least from several pairs I've seen taller mates try. For mid/small hands, these gloves fit strong and feels very nice when punching hard.
The weak element I'd give to Boxeo, is their "look" is not as nice as other Mexican brands, I guess in part could be to Boxeo gloves being made from Goat leather. From about 10~ pairs I've had of Boxeo, there's been issue with thumb finger position on 2 pairs. That is some high deviation. Considering that all of mexican local brands, doesn't really have an existing quality process, Boxeo has a bit more to improve regarding the latter.
boxeo_blue_14oz.33926

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 14.15.22 (1).jpeg

The Zepol, Lopez, Gil - and any of its branches, however, to me, these are the less "known" or less commercialized, but by far the best in fitting, feeling, punching sensation and padding. Their "look" is also very fancy and unique. The tagging of the brand and brand sticker is what I would suggest could still be improved.
lopez_16.33927

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.57 PM.jpeg

What mostly have got me into the loving of Made in Mexico local brands, is their uniqueness of producers not making productions of the same colors/ designs, and instead, they just produce as per request of each customer order they receive. I have the feeling, that in future, having any of these handmade pieces of equipment would be valued as collectibles - which some already mean that to me.

I would be happy to keep chatting and knowing more about your boxing suggestions and opinions. If you would like to catch me up for any boxing related subject or help me with your comments improve in my training posting, you can catch me up at my Instagram profile as @theboxingcollector

Cheers,
Edgar

@Edgar Martinez
Do you find any differences between Zepol & Gil?
I've thought about getting Zepol for a long time, but I really do not like Gil.

Well, I haven't used Zepol in the last years. What I've been told from Mexico city coaches and heard from Lopez/ Gil owners, is that Zepol owner passed away and because brand wasn't legally transferred, basically this brand stopped producing. Then Gil and Lopez, somehow are family related and used to work with Zepol, which they've then started their own brand, but following very much the same style.

I've just found a Zepol seller and producer, which I then asked to Lopez owner, and they said it doesn't really belongs to them. However, I was watching some videos they posted, and seems weird as the accent of the guy speaking through the Zepol's video, isn't Mexican at all.... who knows.

Now, to your specific question. In the last months/ years, I've only wear Gil and Lopez gloves, and their style, hand mold, is very much the same. I would think that if you don't find comfortable with Gil's gloves, you wouldn't find any much better with the Lopez or Zepol's.

@ericPorkChop what is your height and hand size [S, M, L]? As you may know, average Mexican we aren't tall, you would mostly find short and medium size people, height speaking. Which very often that would drive the hand size.

What is it you didn't liked about Gil gloves?

Have you tried Casanova's or Campeon before?

@ericPorkChop what is your height and hand size [S, M, L]? As you may know, average Mexican we aren't tall, you would mostly find short and medium size people, height speaking. Which very often that would drive the hand size.

What is it you didn't liked about Gil gloves?

Have you tried Casanova's or Campeon before?
My height is 5'10 (178cm). My hand size is Medium to Large. My wrists are small.

I don't like the padding on Gil gloves and the wrists are so large I can slide my wrapped hand in easily, even when it's laced up as tight as possible. The padding just feels weird - too bouncy.

I love Casanova and Campeon - those are some of my favorite gloves. I like the combate edition Casanova with the welted seams and slightly smaller hand compartment. My Campeons are hybrids and almost perfect.

Maybe if Zepol is gone, I should try Lopez?
I tried Classics a long time ago (15 years ago), better than Gil, but the leather wasn't very nice. I heard Classics have improved a lot since then.

Back