Popular TV Shows That You just Can't Get Into

The Wire - Rented a disc that had the first few eps on it, but was also binge watching 24 for the first time. Just couldn't get into it. Thinking about trying it again on On Demand since they remastered it.

Breaking Bad - Didn't even realize it was popular until it was on for a few seasons. Actually, you can put Mad Men and Walking Dead in here too. Mainly because I didn't know what channel AMC was on

Pretty much anything on the big 3 networks - after seeing all the liberties taken on the cable shows, it's harder for me to get back to the ones on the major networks. I think the last show i religiously followed was West Wing, which I consider the best show ever produced

Simpsons & South Park - I preferred Family Guy,ATHF and Crank Yankers

Are the shows a continous story line or is each epi different?

Partly, you will miss some details, but its not like you will be completely clueless.
I actually started with season 3 when I heard about the Wire the first time.
Did not kill it for me. But watching 1-2 later did give me a few AHHHH thats why.

The Wire - Rented a disc that had the first few eps on it, but was also binge watching 24 for the first time. Just couldn't get into it. Thinking about trying it again on On Demand since they remastered it.
The Wire is a slow burn but in the end is worth the time and effort in my opinion. I didn't get into the show until a few months after it finished airing on HBO. Watched the first few episodes, didn't think much of it but figured since I already seen half of the first season, I might as well finish it. Good thing I did because the last half of the season was great. Proceeded to binge watch the rest of the series and now I'm here watching on the remastered HD version on HBO Go for the fifth time. The show has become my all time favorite Drama along with Breaking Bad

The Wire is a slow burn but in the end is worth the time and effort in my opinion. I didn't get into the show until a few months after it finished airing on HBO. Watched the first few episodes, didn't think much of it but figured since I already seen half of the first season, I might as well finish it. Good thing I did because the last half of the season was great. Proceeded to binge watch the rest of the series and now I'm here watching on the remastered HD version on HBO Go for the fifth time. The show has become my all time favorite Drama along with Breaking Bad

GOOD MAN!

Now you have to go watch Dead Wood and like it!

That an HBO title? Got me an HBO app but hardly use it.

Yes is HBO.
Sadly they never got to finish it, it was too expensive to make, so no end.
Dead wood has Timothy Olyphanty in the lead, and the old cancer cop from SoA.
Several actors from Dead wood have been in SOA.
The "bad" guy is one of the best bad guys ever on TV, you cant help but love him.

Its a lot of dialogue a lot.
Also I think the first episode has the most "fuck" ever used in the history of TV.
The word... not the act. You perverts!

GOOD MAN!

Now you have to go watch Dead Wood and like it!
I'm still pissed about HBO cancelling the damn series. It was getting really fucking juicy and BAM the execs decide "Its too much money to produce and not enough viewers" bullshit and they axe it. What annoys me even more now is shows like Girls which has some of the lowest ratings ever on the network, still get renewed for new seasons. I don't get it. Any other show would be cancelled by now

Yes is HBO.
Sadly they never got to finish it, it was too expensive to make, so no end.
Dead wood has Timothy Olyphanty in the lead, and the old cancer cop from SoA.
Several actors from Dead wood have been in SOA.
The "bad" guy is one of the best bad guys ever on TV, you cant help but love him.

Its a lot of dialogue a lot.
Also I think the first episode has the most "fuck" ever used in the history of TV.
The word... not the act. You perverts!

*Post contains Boardwalk Empire spoilers.

Shows today need a good bad guy. Many bad guys preferably.

Is Boardwalk Empire popular? Never hear anyone talk about it. Enjoyed the show but after Jimmy was killed I wasn't able to keep up with new characters.

03-boardwalk-empire-jimmy-091910-xlg.jpg

He gave it to his mother FFS.

The Walking Dead.....drives all my friends nuts because they're addicted to it and I'm the "horror" guy of the group so I should love it.

Could probably add GOT to the list, I've watched it every season but turn indifferent to it around the fourth episode of every season.

I'm still pissed about HBO cancelling the damn series. It was getting really fucking juicy and BAM the execs decide "Its too much money to produce and not enough viewers" bullshit and they axe it. What annoys me even more now is shows like Girls which has some of the lowest ratings ever on the network, still get renewed for new seasons. I don't get it. Any other show would be cancelled by now

And the "ending" when everybody is arming up getting ready for a huge fight.
The Chinese, Al, Bullocks people and the mining bastards + the Pinkertons..
Yeah great way to end a show... No cliffhanger or anything :icon_cry2

There where talks about a movie to wrap it all up, but that never happened.
I will never forgive HBO for what they did to Dead wood.

I think it was production cost that killed it, Girls might have shitty rating but if its cheap to shot, it might be worth it for them.

Is Boardwalk Empire popular? Never hear anyone talk about it. Enjoyed the show but after Jimmy was killed I wasn't able to keep up with new characters.

03-boardwalk-empire-jimmy-091910-xlg.jpg

BE was/is pretty popular, I mean not like Walking Dead popular but it did have a sizable following and garnered some Emmy nominations and wins. I myself enjoyed the series even if I knew what happened to the majority of the real life characters that appeared in the series. Sucks they renewed the series for a fifth and final one which meant the producers had to rush the series along which hurt it a bit.

Which brings me to my next point in that I'm glad HBO let David Simon produce the Wire for as long as he intended which in the end gave us a wonderfully crafted and produced drama series.

And the "ending" when everybody is arming up getting ready for a huge fight.
The Chinese, Al, Bullocks people and the mining bastards + the Pinkertons..
Yeah great way to end a show... No cliffhanger or anything :icon_cry2

There where talks about a movie to wrap it all up, but that never happened.
I will never forgive HBO for what they did to Dead wood.

I think it was production cost that killed it, Girls might have shitty rating but if its cheap to shot, it might be worth it for them.
There was talks about the movie and then it just died down and we never heard anything else. Now its probably too late to do one.

If BE is popular? I dont know really, I liked it.
But I like the Wire and Dead wood more.

Al in Dead wood is one of the best bad guys as I said.
Charisma, smart and driven. But also no fucks is given about "MY HONOR" MY RESPECT", which I like, he is very pragmatic.
He can hate you and want to kill you (for business of course, never personal) and the next he ask for your forgiveness and want to be friends, because its the better strategy for business.

The man is straight up gangster. Also Ian MacSean (sp?) the guy playing Al is like 70 and a bad ass. Great shape and really look the part.

There was talks about the movie and then it just died down and we never heard anything else. Now its probably too late to do one.

Yeah, now I have to watch Justified instead.
And at least I get to see a lot of the cast from Dead wood there.

Also kind of funny to see Jax wife in SOA, having Calamity Jane as her lawyer.
Did not recognize her at all at first, no more pissing her pants and never shower.

If BE is popular? I dont know really, I liked it.
But I like the Wire and Dead wood more.

Al in Dead wood is one of the best bad guys as I said.
Charisma, smart and driven. But also no fucks is given about "MY HONOR" MY RESPECT", which I like, he is very pragmatic.
He can hate you and want to kill you (for business of course, never personal) and the next he ask for your forgiveness and want to be friends, because its the better strategy for business.

The man is straight up gangster. Also Ian MacSean (sp?) the guy playing Al is like 70 and a bad ass. Great shape and really look the part.
Wu: SAN FRANCISCO **** SUCKER!!

Yeah, now I have to watch Justified instead.
And at least I get to see a lot of the cast from Dead wood there.

Also kind of funny to see Jax wife in SOA, having Calamity Jane as her lawyer.
Did not recognize her at all at first, no more pissing her pants and never shower.
Wow you are right about Tara's lawyer, I totally forgot she played Calamity Jane.

Wu: SAN FRANCISCO **** SUCKER!!

Wow you are right about Tara's lawyer, I totally forgot she played Calamity Jane.

Wu is just such a great character.

Also the priest played some lawyer going after the MCs in one of the seasons.
And you had robocops niece, playing Miss Stubbs from the Bella Union.

Also good old Mike Hammer as the bad guy that was really a bad guy.
Dick bag I hated him so much.

Agents of Shield. Which is kind of funny because I like Flash, I really like Gotham, and I love Arrow.

I've got the complete Breaking Bad on blu-ray but haven't watched any of it yet.
In a way i'm almost hoping not to like it because EVERYONE who mentions it says how great it is.
And a few of those people I know who say that are f*cking idiots who never appreciate anything that's good, so it's a bit confusing that they'd like something widely thought of as being superb.

I'm really behind when it comes to tv shows anyway. I tend to wait until all the hype has all died down and then buy the complete boxset.
But then I get excited about it when everyone else has lost interest.

Apart from Gotham, I don't think i've ever watched a tv series all the way through when it's been televised, i've always watched it all in boxset form.

99% of them. I'm down to 3 shows, one of which is entering its final season; Justified, Top Gear, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Primetime "comedy" shows like The Big Bang Theory or Brooklyn Nine Nine are just painfully unfunny. It's all hack bits, or forced attempts to make observational/daily humor zany. Parks and Rec ran its course, and The Office thankfully bowed out finally (three seasons too late). There's nothing on network television that's genuinely funny anymore. The Simpsons and Family Guy refuse to hang it up, CBS' lineup is all interchangable, and ABC & NBC just can't help but push liberal dreck on us every night.

Network dramas are just as bad, since they're restricted very heavily in how dark they can make the show. That coupled with the fact that the studios are convinced that every drama needs comic relief and a sex/love interest really bloats them. I can't be bothered with Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire, so the cable dramas don't fare much better for me.

Back