PFP foolishness

I'm just imagining Salido walking into Walters right every time he comes forward and slowly crumbling behind that and Walters educated jab. Plus Salido couldn't have his way on the inside with Walters like he could with Loma, Walters cans him pretty easy.
Yep. Salido would've been a sitting duck for Walters. I think he'd get him out of there as well. Too bad we'll never actually get to see it though. I do remember you had legit health concerns about Salido in a Loma rematch though. It was several years ago but I remember you expressing that you were against it.

Salido would make him quit and cry. Who'd the guy ever beat? A fat Darchinyan and an inconsistent Donaire?
Absolutely I'm taking Salido over Walter's, lol, since when did Salido become this bum? He got all those checks for beatings in his final fights because Loma being stupid enough to get in the ring with him, that was clever and a smart roll of the dice by Salidos team, made Salido "relevant" again. But let's not pretend the fights Salido fought post Loma were his prime or even a run of fights he should have been taking. He was past it. Who gives a fuck that Loma knocked out Martinez after Martinez beat Salido? Salido was battered meat before Loma, lol, he was never supposed to beat Loma in first place. So wtf with all this "Loma beat the guy who beat the guy" like it absolves any of it?

Basically, I look at it like this. You had green Loma and more experienced Loma and they both took an L, but credit where credit is due, he was in with two very good fighters both times and at least he rolled the dice on some risks even if it didnt pay off.

Absolutely I'm taking Salido over Walter's, lol, since when did Salido become this bum? He got all those checks for beatings in his final fights because Loma being stupid enough to get in the ring with him, that was clever and a smart roll of the dice by Salidos team, made Salido "relevant" again. But let's not pretend the fights Salido fought post Loma were his prime or even a run of fights he should have been taking. He was past it. Who gives a fuck that Loma knocked out Martinez after Martinez beat Salido? Salido was battered meat before Loma, lol, he was never supposed to beat Loma in first place. So wtf with all this "Loma beat the guy who beat the guy" like it absolves any of it?

Basically, I look at it like this. You had green Loma and more experienced Loma and they both took an L, but credit where credit is due, he was in with two very good fighters both times and at least he rolled the dice on some risks even if it didnt pay off.
Salido was fighting competitive fights with top ranked 130ers even after Loma so saying he was "past it" might be true in the abstract but he was still a very good fighter. I just don't think he matches up well with Walters. People talk about Walters lack of heart but as Seano likes to say: once you start talking about heart, you're doing it to cover up for something else. Whatever you think of Walters he'd probably walk through Berchelt/Martinez/Roman.

I pointed out hte Martinez win because you'd think if Seano was expecting Loma to beat Salido in the rematch before he'd deign him worthy of anything then he'd at least pay attention to the fact that Loma beat the dude he wants Loma to beat. I also find it strange that Seano insists Loma got preferential treatment as a 1-0 fighter getting a title shot (fair enough) and then flips the switch and says "oh but actually WSB fights should basically count as pro fights" when defending that Loma wasn't really *that* green when fighting Salido.

Last edited:
Salido was fighting competitive fights with top ranked 130ers even after Loma so saying he was "past it" might be true in the abstract but he was still a very good fighter. I just don't think he matches up well with Walters. People talk about Walters lack of heart but as Seano likes to say: once you start talking about heart, you're doing it to cover up for something else. Whatever you think of Walters he'd probably walk through Berchelt/Martinez/Roman.

I pointed out hte Martinez win because you'd think if Seano was expecting Loma to beat Salido in the rematch before he'd deign him worthy of anything then he'd at least pay attention to the fact that Loma beat the dude he wants Loma to beat. I also find it strange that Seano insists Loma got preferential treatment as a 1-0 fighter getting a title shot (fair enough) and then flips the switch and says "oh but actually WSB fights should basically count as pro fights" when defending that Loma wasn't really *that* green when fighting Salido.
Oh. So beating Martinez counts for Loma because Martinez beat shopworn Salido, but Walter's probably beats Berchelt and Salido, when he couldn't even beat Sosa and Berchelt murdered Sosa. And no, Walter's quit. He doesnt have heart. If Pedraza and Luke Campbell have enough heart to make it through 12, I don't want to hear excuses for a young dog like Walter's. He got broke and didnt have a plan b and hasnt fought since. When you're sitting their pointing the finger at Seano and literally doing the same thing you accuse him of and then try and convince me Walter's is walking through Salido or Berchelt, i mean you reaching with all this, doesnt help your argument at all.

Walters was a good win, even if Lomachenko fought him after his original hype had pretty much died off. With regards to Salido, Walters didn't really look that good after the Donaire fight when he fought two guys who brought a bit of pressure, but Salido was pretty spent by that time. What I am skeptical about is Walters beating Berchelt, let alone walking through him. Walters never really looked particularly good after beating down Donaire. He failed to walk through Marriaga or Sosa, and Berchelt is at least a class better than both.

Walters was a good win, even if Lomachenko fought him after his original hype had pretty much died off. With regards to Salido, Walters didn't really look that good after the Donaire fight when he fought two guys who brought a bit of pressure, but Salido was pretty spent by that time. What I am skeptical about is Walters beating Berchelt, let alone walking through him. Walters never really looked particularly good after beating down Donaire. He failed to walk through Marriaga or Sosa, and Berchelt is at least a class better than both.
yeah I don't think he walks through Berchelt, meant to type Vargas

Oh. So beating Martinez counts for Loma because Martinez beat shopworn Salido, but Walter's probably beats Berchelt and Salido, when he couldn't even beat Sosa and Berchelt murdered Sosa.
Im' not sure if this is clear or not but I don't really particularly rate Loma's win over Martinez personally. The point was that Seano was obsessively demanding a fight with Salido well past the point where Salido was clearly avoiding Loma, so you'd think that if Seano rates Salido so highly he'd at least rate beating the guy who beat Salido highly. That usually works that way.

And no, Walter's quit. He doesnt have heart. If Pedraza and Luke Campbell have enough heart to make it through 12, I don't want to hear excuses for a young dog like Walter's. He got broke and didnt have a plan b and hasnt fought since.
What makes you think I'm making excuses for Walters or that I care that he quit? Of course he quit and looked like a sore loser. What I was really saying is 130 Walters beats the shit out of 130 Salido, heart or not heart. If Salido was getting his shit rocked by Martinez, Vargas and Roman at different points, he isn't coming out of a fight with a bigger, harder punching guy that can fight on the inside and has a pole for a jab.

When you're sitting their pointing the finger at Seano and literally doing the same thing you accuse him of and then try and convince me Walter's is walking through Salido or Berchelt, i mean you reaching with all this, doesnt help your argument at all.
I don't think Walters beats Berchelt, that was a typo (meant to say Vargas). He absolutely beats the shit out of Salido post-Loma. I think you misunderstood a lot of what I was posting.

at the moment yeah absolutely; I think Loma beats Tank too, not sure about Haney or Garcia. I mean if we're talking resumes, who has Stevenson beaten that's even half a name?
i see stevenson winning a competitive fight. they would be about the same size, but ultimately stevenson has a higher ring iq.

you know you can say "all these people are biased and they don't know what they're tlaking about" or you can actually go through the fight, rewatch it and negotiate the actual rounds they gave to him/didn't give to him. I saw a close fight, one that Salido won but I wouldn't be outraged if Loma won. acting as if it was a whitewash is as much personal bias as anything that the judges gave.

Loma hadn't fought more than one pro opponent and Salido is exactly the kind of guy you don't throw in there for a fresh out of hte ammies fighter. That isn't controversial at all. Salido does all hte things you aren't supposed to do in the ammys: hard pressure, dirty fighting and had actually fought several P4P opponents in his past (including beating one in JuanMa). I'm not excusing Loma's loss to him, he lost to him, but you'd think you'd have let that go when he had 6 years of other opponents he beat (including the dude who beat Salido). Saying "oh he was basically a pro" is a roundabout way of saying "oh he wasn't a pro but I want ot pretend he was."
im not the one pretending loma was a pro. it was ESPN and the promoters around loma who kept feeding us the line that the guy had over 400 amateur fights and had won 2 gold medals and was basically on the level of a seasoned pro. thats why they put him in with salido in his second pro fight. they didnt put loma in with salido, doubting loma could beat salido. they figured salido was a stepping stone. in retrospect we can see it was a bad decision, but at the time, they obviously had every confidence loma could beat salido, even with all the stylistic problems you point out above...the other thing is, maybe loma has improved since the salido fight or maybe not. given the fact he was being called pfp #1 ten fights into his career but has looked less than impressive since then, the question is, is loma truly better now than he was when he fought salido...i doubt it.

as for rewatching the whole fight, i rarely have time or inclination to rewatch a fight ive seen before. maybe one day. but ill say that on the rare occasions a rewatch a fight (floyd-corrales, gatti-ward, malignaggi-diaz), its only confirmed my initial impressions. but then, you seem to be a die-hard loma fan, so i know im never gonna convince you to see things my way.

Im' not sure if this is clear or not but I don't really particularly rate Loma's win over Martinez personally. The point was that Seano was obsessively demanding a fight with Salido well past the point where Salido was clearly avoiding Loma, so you'd think that if Seano rates Salido so highly he'd at least rate beating the guy who beat Salido highly. That usually works that way.

What makes you think I'm making excuses for Walters or that I care that he quit? Of course he quit and looked like a sore loser. What I was really saying is 130 Walters beats the shit out of 130 Salido, heart or not heart. If Salido was getting his shit rocked by Martinez, Vargas and Roman at different points, he isn't coming out of a fight with a bigger, harder punching guy that can fight on the inside and has a pole for a jab.

I don't think Walters beats Berchelt, that was a typo (meant to say Vargas). He absolutely beats the shit out of Salido post-Loma. I think you misunderstood a lot of what I was posting.
not tryna take credit from loma, but i really dont rate the walters win very highly. i rate the loma win over grj far higher than walters, even though grj is much smaller than loma. from what it seems, walters was real frustrated about being the champ and still getting only one-third of what loma was getting paid...i mean, think of that....ONE-THIRD of what his challenger was making...and loma had barely had like 7 fights to his name at the time...far from an established name. Would any other champ agree to those terms. it was a case of the mental more than anything with walters. thats why walters half-assed it, quit after a few rounds, and never fought again. apparently that whole experience of being so undervalued even as a champ, turned him off of boxing for good.

i see stevenson winning a competitive fight. they would be about the same size, but ultimately stevenson has a higher ring iq.
based on what? you can't say Loma hasn't fought anybody and then say he definitively loses to a dude whose biggest win is Joet Gonzalez. I think Stevenson is a bit bigger, so that plays to his favor, and he's clearly very talented, but he's definitely had some moments where he hasn't looked super smooth and they weren't against guys even anywhere near the level of a GRJ or a Linares and definitely not a Loma. I guess it's certainly possible but I don't see why you think Stevenson should be the favorite. I'd be more willing to bet on Colbert beating Loma than Stevenson ATM.

Last edited:
im not the one pretending loma was a pro. it was ESPN and the promoters around loma who kept feeding us the line that the guy had over 400 amateur fights and had won 2 gold medals and was basically on the level of a seasoned pro. thats why they put him in with salido in his second pro fight. they didnt put loma in with salido, doubting loma could beat salido. they figured salido was a stepping stone. in retrospect we can see it was a bad decision, but at the time, they obviously had every confidence loma could beat salido, even with all the stylistic problems you point out above
The WBO decided he was worth giving a shot. He's not the first guy to get an extremely early title shot with a limited pro record (we just saw Lu Bin do it). They obviously misread the Salido situation but maybe, just maybe, Loma thought that Salido was a good fighter he could beat, he didn't pick him just because he thought he'd have an easy time walking over him for a paper title the way Stevenson did with Gonzalez.

the other thing is, maybe loma has improved since the salido fight or maybe not. given the fact he was being called pfp #1 ten fights into his career but has looked less than impressive since then, the question is, is loma truly better now than he was when he fought salido...i doubt it.
I'm not sure how you can say that. Loma looked visibly better at 130 than at 126. More fluid, more powerful and better defensively. I never bought that he was #1 P4P, that was obviously a media smokeshow (the resume just wasn't there), but I'm not sure how you can say Loma looked worse at 130 than he did at 126. It was only really at 135 taht he started to look worse again, when he was significantly smaller in weight than most of his opponents.

as for rewatching the whole fight, i rarely have time or inclination to rewatch a fight ive seen before. maybe one day. but ill say that on the rare occasions a rewatch a fight (floyd-corrales, gatti-ward, malignaggi-diaz), its only confirmed my initial impressions. but then, you seem to be a die-hard loma fan, so i know im never gonna convince you to see things my way.
I'm not a die hard loma fan. That's just Seano lying out of his ass because he knows he has a weird degree of derangement about this dude for being Ukrainian and the only answer he has to his obvious biases without admitting he's biased is to call me biased. Look through my posts, you can do it. I predicted Loma would lose to Lopez, I predicted he'd lose ot Mikey (when that fight was on the table), I think I may have predicted he loses to Walters when that fight was happening too. Look through my posts, you'll see I'm at best Loma-skeptical and have consistently called him overrated-but-very-skilled. Rewatch the fight because you seem to be the only one that remembers it as a blowout.

not tryna take credit from loma, but i really dont rate the walters win very highly. i rate the loma win over grj far higher than walters, even though grj is much smaller than loma. from what it seems, walters was real frustrated about being the champ and still getting only one-third of what loma was getting paid...i mean, think of that....ONE-THIRD of what his challenger was making...and loma had barely had like 7 fights to his name at the time...far from an established name. Would any other champ agree to those terms. it was a case of the mental more than anything with walters. thats why walters half-assed it, quit after a few rounds, and never fought again. apparently that whole experience of being so undervalued even as a champ, turned him off of boxing for good.
I don't ever want to hear anybody whine about my "excuse making" after I had to read this. You don't even believe this shit dude.

I don't ever want to hear anybody whine about my "excuse making" after I had to read this. You don't even believe this shit dude.
<45><45><45>

I know, right?! I thought Walter's was a win that didn't age well, but yeah he was decent enough at time if you pretended the Marriaga and Sosa fights never happened, was supposed to give Loma a "tough" test and got embarrassed, now seems disinterested in a return. But making money excuses for him that he didnt even try that night because he was anti boxing suddenly and THAT'S Why we didnt get a good fight vs Loma is ridiculous. LMAO He was just grossly overmatched, and didnt have a clue when he was at a deficit how to stay in the fight, didnt seem to want to try.

On that note, I got a thought, maybe Lomas power actually mattered and was significant when he fought Walters, I always thought at the lower weights he did have some power, he had to have had some. Plenty of fighters have clowned opponents and scored at will, and some in history were better than Loma, so the fact Loma had several fighters who COULD have continued quit on their stools suggests he has some pop. Not to mention Linares and Martinez KOs, he does have something, I don't doubt he could regain the aura he had back down where he can keep his opponent's more honest.

I'll start with your last part. Pretty much negates a lot of why I responded if you didnt mean Berchelt. But he is a good tie-in. He's really unknown, he looks a class above his comp so far, we know who they are but who is he? Some might claim Berchelt has a signature win already but I disagree. He's a monster and only Stevenson or Loma are beating him right now. I could rate alot of these guys at 130 better if I knew who Berchelt was! Unfortunately I think Stevenson will KO him and Loma slaughters him, pretty sure Berchelt has one range he fights at and that doesnt bode well against those 2, I'm afraid it wont telk us much about Berchelt or the quality of his wins if he just gets destroyed, but that's the fight I want to see in both cases.

I'll start with your last part. Pretty much negates a lot of why I responded if you didnt mean Berchelt. But he is a good tie-in. He's really unknown, he looks a class above his comp so far, we know who they are but who is he? Some might claim Berchelt has a signature win already but I disagree. He's a monster and only Stevenson or Loma are beating him right now. I could rate alot of these guys at 130 better if I knew who Berchelt was! Unfortunately I think Stevenson will KO him and Loma slaughters him, pretty sure Berchelt has one range he fights at and that doesnt bode well against those 2, I'm afraid it wont telk us much about Berchelt or the quality of his wins if he just gets destroyed, but that's the fight I want to see in both cases.

Thing is Berchelt’s only loss seemed like a perfect shot and ever since he’s hold up pretty well. Also to mention he’s a traditional looping and slugging Mexican fighter but not a complete caveman like Salido other than being flat footed and with no defense, his arsenal is wider and he’s much tighter and sharper with his attacks. I don’t see Stevenson being a monster in the power department, I don’t think he stops Berchelt, he does seem to have the defensive tools to handout boxing lessons more so than say Haney, the kid is so smooth and fluid, but atm he still seems green for Loma and such a big test such as Berchelt and his stupid power seems very risky. He’s shown he’s a lil dog in there like when he took the Diaz fight. Everyone mentions Lopez but I think Diaz was more of a challenge as well. A tough, high output fighter who grinds till the end and wrecked Rodriguez before KingRy did. Poppa Bob didn’t want that fight at all, but Stevenson said fuck it and made it look easy.

Thing is Berchelt’s only loss seemed like a perfect shot and ever since he’s hold up pretty well. Also to mention he’s a traditional looping and slugging Mexican fighter but not a complete caveman like Salido other than being flat footed and with no defense, his arsenal is wider and he’s much tighter and sharper with his attacks. I don’t see Stevenson being a monster in the power department, I don’t think he stops Berchelt, he does seem to have the defensive tools to handout boxing lessons more so than say Haney, the kid is so smooth and fluid, but atm he still seems green for Loma and such a big test such as Berchelt and his stupid power seems very risky. He’s shown he’s a lil dog in there like when he took the Diaz fight. Everyone mentions Lopez but I think Diaz was more of a challenge as well. A tough, high output fighter who grinds till the end and wrecked Rodriguez before KingRy did. Poppa Bob didn’t want that fight at all, but Stevenson said fuck it and made it look easy.
Exactly. Berchelt cut from same class as Salido, Vargas, etc, but seems a little sharper, tighter, more technically sound all resulting in him being more effective. That being said, Salido falling into this mix in his later years says alot, probably was better than most here when he had a lot less mileage. Just my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for Salido as I've displayed in this thread. If he was a gatekeeper level guy, well, he'll be one of the ones I remember most, I think Berchelt can be that level too, which would be good for boxing. That being said, I think Stevenson beats both comfortably. Ok, maybe you are right, not a KO but a lopsided 12 rd decision likely, but that's how I'm picturing it so I guess I was seeing an accumulation of damage but year Berchelt is rugged.

How do you see Berchelt/Loma going?

Nice little thread here, too bad I saw it late, Ironfist going in!
Yeah, that's what it's about! Hype up the sport, build the discussion, and nerd out. Comments and opinions arent always gonna age perfectly, but im always glad for anyone joining the discussion, even when I think they dont know wtf they are talking about.

Exactly. Berchelt cut from same class as Salido, Vargas, etc, but seems a little sharper, tighter, more technically sound all resulting in him being more effective. That being said, Salido falling into this mix in his later years says alot, probably was better than most here when he had a lot less mileage. Just my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for Salido as I've displayed in this thread. If he was a gatekeeper level guy, well, he'll be one of the ones I remember most, I think Berchelt can be that level too, which would be good for boxing. That being said, I think Stevenson beats both comfortably. Ok, maybe you are right, not a KO but a lopsided 12 rd decision likely, but that's how I'm picturing it so I guess I was seeing an accumulation of damage but year Berchelt is rugged.

How do you see Berchelt/Loma going?

Salido to me is absolutely insane considering how his career started, everyone and their grandma done knocked out Salido in Mexico, then to get as far as he did, and exposing JuanMa’s Tank and chin, it was crazy, he was the first to break JuanMas chin, shit I think his nieces have to be careful kissing Uncle JuanMa, one on the cheek and he probably loses his footing.

This fight imo is a 50/50 on a scale type of fight where both guys have the necessary tools to win but the outcome comes down to who does what.

Berchelt imo is like between a mix of Salido and Mikey where salido is more simplistic and sluggish but Mikey is technically superior and more polished. We know what Salidos output and constant preasure with his unorthodox attacks did to Loma, and I gave Mikey a good chance to beat Loma based on his power and timing that should have open a window to big counter shots.

Loma has clearly improved since the Salido fight he will obviously have more mileage on him and at 130 his pop should get more respect. It all lays on if he’s willing to take risks this fight. If he’s going to be active and pick Berchelt apart when he sees openings. Power wasn’t the only thing that put Loma on cruise control against Lopez, it was the speed. Loma relied on his speed to faint his jab and crack lopez with that signature right hook coming in before stepping out of range before continuing to work. When he did this he didn’t just discover lopez can fucking crack, but he’s quick enough to counter Lomas counter and land his own hook. That imo is what made Loma hesitant from the start. The language was there fron the start. “He can punch, and he can counter me before I jet” Berchelt doesn’t have that kind of speed though, so if Loma is willing to get in there I think he boxes Berchelt quite easily if Berchelt can’t connect or Loma can take the power. Like you mentioned before, Loma does have some good pop and more than that I think he is uniquely good at attacking the body. It’s hard landing cleanly to the body, let alone dropping or stopping opponents with body shots.

Berchelt’s chance is getting into next gear even if he’s getting boxed up. Because once he gets started a few rounds in, pretty much he’s a fucking octopus and everything he throws is power shots. His best chance is to overwhelm Loma with preasure and his high output, but he might not have the footwork to close the gap every time, and his demanding style may expose him to getting drained and worked to the body, it’s one thing Loma should 100% commit to when a guy is so busy in a fight. The thing is Berchelt is no Salido, he possesses Maidana/Matthysse kind of power where he can rock your world with a one hitter or slowly tear you down like an old Caddy. Does the power keep Loma on Cruise control, or does he commit and goes to work?

Fun fight

Back