Rewatch PEREIRA vs. PROCHÁZKA (4th Re-watch)

Jiri was up 2-0 until he got caught, great fight. Alex probably would’ve won the later rounds with leg kicks taking a toll, would’ve been interesting to see how it played out over 4 or 5 rounds. A lot of the elbows to end the fight were to the back of the head as well.

Saved it from what? Pereira was already well on his way to chopping him down. Pretty much had him fighting on one leg two minutes in.

certain death, this was kill or be killed

Bros OP is like a novel, so I ended the story

But the fight wasn’t that one sided, one legged Jiri landed more
Potan could of lost at a moments notice just the same

Jiri was up 2-0 until he got caught, great fight.

I guess we didn't watch the same fight.

Tactically, Alex Pereira was a country mile ahead, IMO. He was setting Jiri up for a mid-late round KO, chopping his legs, slowing him down, etc. Alex was playing the long-play.

The first two minutes of Round 2 was all Pereira, then Jiri started his blitzing. I do agree Jiri started to take over the momentum in the 2nd round, with his blitzing, but Alex controlled that chaos by clinching, settling Jiri down, and getting back into Alex's own comfortable rhythm.

When Jiri tried the third or fourth blitz, he was nailed coming in. He was catching Alex on the face at the end of his punches, and Alex wasn't even blinking, he was just watching Jiri come in — and just nailed him.

Agreed, great fight.

certain death, this was kill or be killed

Bros OP is like a novel, so I ended the story

But the fight wasn’t that one sided, one legged Jiri landed more
Potan could of lost at a moments notice just the same

I thought the fight was one-sided in Pereira's favor, due to the tactics. To me, it looked more like "Jiri had his moments," but he basically looked lost most of the time.

Alex, on the other hand, looked efficient and in control, and was only confused during a couple of blitzes, which he was purposefully reading and timing.

Had the fight gone to the third round, Jiri's calf would've been so compromised, and he would have slowed down to the point, that Alex would FUBAR him in the end.

Less than a day and Pereira is the GOAT? Pereira is very good at what he does but he’s maybe in the top 21-30 if we’re talking GOATs. Two division champ, yes, but he probably got even easier matchups than McGregor.

Can't see how he even got a title shot after getting flatlined by Izzy and being involved in a terrible split decision against Jan.
Plus Jiri looked terrible in there. He reminded me of Ben Askren in places.

Can't see how he even got a title shot after getting flatlined by Izzy and being involved in a terrible split decision against Jan.
Plus Jiri looked terrible in there. He reminded me of Ben Askren in places.

Because the next in line lineal champ was Jan Błachowicz.

And if you think it was a "terrible" decision, then we agree you can't see.

Procházka has a ferocious record, and apparently it doesn't occur to you that it was Alex' technical brilliance that made Jiri looked terrible.

The first thing I noticed was how massive Pereira was, even though Procházka is about the same size on paper. (In the first face-off, Procházka looked a bit bigger. In the actual face-off, Pereira looked bigger.) However, in the cage, Pereira dwarfed Procházka from every angle.

Like everyone else has said, it's astonishing Pereira has made MW for so many years. Aside from now being a candidate for GOAT prizefighter, Pereira might well be the all-time GOAT weight-cutter. That said,

ROUND 1:
Both seem a little tentative, but Pereira looked like the true professional, while Procházka appeared amateurish and perplexed at the size of Pereira, in particular Pereira's stance, and Alex' ability to use his forearms as a guard. Once Pereira began his calf-attack, he was clearly damaging and owning Procházka. Procházka began to panic wrestle, where Pereira threatened a neck attack, but Jiri finally got the takedown. Couldn't do anything with it though, and Alex was back up. (All 3 judges gave the round to Procházka, but Pereira did by far more damage. As such, I gave Pereira Round 1.)

ROUND 2:
Both again come out a little tentative for the first minute. In the second minute, Alex lands a jab, a roundhouse kick, followed by calf kick — all three of which were acknowledged by Procházka in succession. Jiri is wary, confused, and continuing to look tentative — and then he starts to go for it. Procházka starts looking a little more urgent, and catches Pereira on the chin with a left hook, then a right hand. Procházka has achieved the forward momentum "chaos state" in which he excels. Several wild shots caught Pereira (but none of them landed completely flush). Still, the optics were bad for Alex.

It appeared Jiri was starting to take over — but you could see Alex kept reading him, timing him, figuring him out. They got into the chaotic "fence fight," with Procházka landing hard overhand right, followed by a left hook. The difference was Alex' professionalism. He would just clinch Jiri, slow him down, knee him to the body. Whereas a guy like Reyes, would get "lost in the chaos," Alex controlled the chaos, settled it down. Then Alex would calmly move laterally, get out from against the fence, and begin his own momentum anew, once again launching the calf kicks.

With one minute left, Jiri began his third or fourth blitz, clipping Alex 2 to 3 times, but Alex just took them, not even blinking, because they were grazing, and you could see Alex was timing Jiri's entry — and this time Alex caught Procházka with a one-two: a grazing right that hit the back of Jiri's neck, and that tight inside left hook that forced Jiri's chin straight to the back of his head.
  • The Knockout: Jiri buckled, went straight down to his knees, then kind of hugged Pereira's thighs, trying to hide his head against Pereira's right hip. Jiri was clearly conscious at this point, but obviously dazed. Pereira then launched a series of hammer fists to the left side of Jiri's head — but when Pereira switched to elbows to the temple is when the actual KO came. It could clearly be seen that Procházka had his hands clasped around Pereira's legs, and then his hands went completely limp and he fell backwards, out, with Pereira in a mounted position. I thought the referee stoppage was premature at first, but when you watch the replay, it was a legit KO for Pereira. Still, Jiri recovered fairly quickly (because the ref pushed Alex away) — but it's highly doubtful Jiri would have survived, had Alex been allowed to bring elbows on his dazed skull.
In the end, Alex is now a 2x World Champion, in 2 different fighting organizations, which makes him a truly unique fight combatant. GOAT talks will always exist, but I think Pereira has inserted himself in this list, based on these accomplishments. You can argue that Alex' grappling isn't elite, but it has shown to be enough not to get finished, and every time he gets up marks the beginning of the end for his opponent. (Opponents appear to wear themselves out trying to finish Alex, because of his size and strength, and then become "sitting ducks" for Alex' target practice.)

Finally, Jiri Procházka showed class, admitting he was KO'd — and also thanking Alex for the life lesson. Procházka's reckless style almost made him look amateurish against Pereira, and it was clear he was totally unprepared for Pereira's elite leg attacks. Since Jiri is a martial artist, I'm wondering if he's going to try to incorporate this into his style.

Fun fight, but even though I think the stoppage was legit, I still wish it would've gone on longer to remove any shadow of a doubt.

I was expecting more from this post

I need to watch this fight a 3rd time.
Watching it 1 & ½ times was not enough.

Good Breakdown

Stop it with these fan fictions bro.

“Prozchaka appeared amateurish and perplexed at the size of Pereira”

Wtf?

I was expecting more from this post

I don’t know they ban posters on a whim and this guy day after day gets left to churn out this roleplaying garbage.

I like Pereira but this is way too much of a nuthug to not cringe.

Also the first few lines are the real reason he does well in the clinch and plods/slows down fights instead of fighting fast. He's frikking huge and has a bad gas tank.

Luckily though he has nasty calf kicks and big punching power to go with his size and slow style.

Jiri went out from the elbows... he came back quick ..

But he absolutely went out...

Jiri accepted his defeat but he was doing alright against Alex no shame in losing ..

I look forward to both guys fighting regardless if it's agaisnt each other or not ...
Jiri started to make a lot of excuses later, his whole Samurai BS got exposed.

Less than a day and Pereira is the GOAT? Pereira is very good at what he does but he’s maybe in the top 21-30 if we’re talking GOATs. Two division champ, yes, but he probably got even easier matchups than McGregor.
Bruno Silva, Strickland, Adesanya x2, Jan and Jiri aren't exactly weak competition buddy. Becoming a 2-division world champ in just a dozen or so fights is unbelievable and has never been done.

Some replies in this thread just show that people can't understand the effectiveness of pereira's style that well, just like the judges can't score it and think he loses every round

I have a question IronGolem, do you think Peirera's chin is going to be a problem in his next fights? The one thing i am noticing is that he is eating a lot of punches in sparring sessions and in his fights with him now almost 37. As a fan, I am concerned his chin is going to give out soon.
What do you think?

One thing I noticed in this fight is Jiri’s boxing defence was brilliant.

Alex along with his leg kicks is usually landing his jab, straight and left hook at will due to his feints and ability to throw with no tells and Jiri seemed to eliminate those weapons with iron tight defence. Obviously his own offence was struggling against Pereira’s defence and ability to slow down the blitzes and the leg kicks were shredding him but both men don’t seem to get the credit they deserve for how well they handled each others style.

The first thing I noticed was how massive Pereira was, even though Procházka is about the same size on paper. (In the first face-off, Procházka looked a bit bigger. In the actual face-off, Pereira looked bigger.) However, in the cage, Pereira dwarfed Procházka from every angle.

Like everyone else has said, it's astonishing Pereira has made MW for so many years. Aside from now being a candidate for GOAT prizefighter, Pereira might well be the all-time GOAT weight-cutter. That said,

ROUND 1:
Both seem a little tentative, but Pereira looked like the true professional, while Procházka appeared amateurish and perplexed at the size of Pereira, in particular Pereira's stance, and Alex' ability to use his forearms as a guard. Once Pereira began his calf-attack, he was clearly damaging and owning Procházka. Procházka began to panic wrestle, where Pereira threatened a neck attack, but Jiri finally got the takedown. Couldn't do anything with it though, and Alex was back up. (All 3 judges gave the round to Procházka, but Pereira did by far more damage. As such, I gave Pereira Round 1.)

ROUND 2:
Both again come out a little tentative for the first minute. In the second minute, Alex lands a jab, a roundhouse kick, followed by two calf kicks — all three of which were acknowledged by Procházka in succession. Jiri is wary, confused, and continuing to look tentative — and then he starts to go for it. Procházka starts looking a little more urgent, and catches Pereira on the chin with a left hook, then a right hand. Procházka has achieved the forward momentum "chaos state" in which he excels. Several wild shots caught Pereira (but none of them landed completely flush). Still, the optics were bad for Alex.

It appeared Jiri was starting to take over — but you could see Alex kept reading him, timing him, figuring him out. They got into the chaotic "fence fight," with Procházka landing hard overhand right, followed by a left hook. The difference was Alex' professionalism. He would just clinch Jiri, slow him down, knee him to the body. Whereas a guy like Reyes, would get "lost in the chaos," Alex controlled the chaos, settled it down. Then Alex would calmly move laterally, get out from against the fence, and begin his own momentum anew, once again launching the calf kicks.

With one minute left, Jiri began his third or fourth blitz, clipping Alex 2 to 3 times, but Alex just took them, not even blinking, because they were grazing, and you could see Alex was timing Jiri's entry — and this time Alex caught Procházka with a one-two: a grazing right that hit the back of Jiri's neck, and that tight inside left hook that forced Jiri's chin straight to the back of his head.
  • The Knockout: Jiri buckled, went straight down to his knees, then kind of hugged Pereira's thighs, trying to hide his head against Pereira's right hip. Jiri was clearly conscious at this point, but obviously dazed. Pereira then launched a series of hammer fists to the left side of Jiri's head — but when Pereira switched to elbows to the temple is when the actual KO came. It could clearly be seen that Procházka had his hands clasped around Pereira's legs, and then his hands went completely limp and he fell backwards, out, with Pereira in a mounted position. I thought the referee stoppage was premature at first, but when you watch the replay, it was a legit KO for Pereira. Still, Jiri recovered fairly quickly (because the ref pushed Alex away) — but it's highly doubtful Jiri would have survived, had Alex been allowed to bring elbows on his dazed skull.
In the end, Alex is now a 2x World Champion, in 2 different fighting organizations, which makes him a truly unique fight combatant. GOAT talks will always exist, but I think Pereira has inserted himself in this list, based on these accomplishments. You can argue that Alex' grappling isn't elite, but it has shown to be enough not to get finished, and every time he gets up marks the beginning of the end for his opponent. (Opponents appear to wear themselves out trying to finish Alex, because of his size and strength, and then become "sitting ducks" for Alex' target practice.)

Finally, Jiri Procházka showed class, admitting he was KO'd — and also thanking Alex for the life lesson. Procházka's reckless style almost made him look amateurish against Pereira, and it was clear he was totally unprepared for Pereira's elite leg attacks. Since Jiri is a martial artist, I'm wondering if he's going to try to incorporate this into his style.

Fun fight, but even though I think the stoppage was legit, I still wish it would've gone on longer to remove any shadow of a doubt.

I like Perreira but he doesn’t have much of a chin or defense. I not trying to hate but Izzy sparked him real bad their last match I give him credit for coming back though I fear one good shot his chin he going down again

Bruno Silva, Strickland, Adesanya x2, Jan and Jiri aren't exactly weak competition buddy. Becoming a 2-division world champ in just a dozen or so fights is unbelievable and has never been done.

Alex has Never Been Less Dangerous when later rounds are entered. His leg-kick damage on opponents is quickly evident and does put Alex at an advantage the longer the fight goes on. Conditioning, gotta go with no-dad-body Poatan.

Hill is definitely in for a wicked fight, he does have a small chance of winning.

Last edited:
Back