People Often KO better strikers- Can you submit better grapplers?

Well, Elvis Sinosic submitted Jeremy Horn, but got ground and pound finished by Michael Bisping. That’s interesting to think about.

Can’t remember that happening often.

I do remember tony submitting gleison Tibau but that was after roughing him up with strikes.

There's someone I can name that has done this THREE times.

Anthony Pettis has subbed
Charles Olivera
Benson henderson
Gilbert melendez

Can’t remember that happening often.

I do remember tony submitting gleison Tibau but that was after roughing him up with strikes.
Chiesa subbed Dariush, and there are lots of other examples where guys simply get caught, or get stunned and then caught.

Barnett is definitely a better grappler than Rothwell.

Pettis subbing Bendo immediately came to mind. I don't think anyone expected that how it happened.

I'm not being a dick, the guy I replied to said that grapplers do not need to worry about strikes on the ground which is totally wrong. Tito is not the best GnPer, he was never known for badly hurting people with GnP, he was mainly known for doing damage in full guard with elbows but Fedor, Shogun and Overeem are all known to have much harder hitting GnP.

Most of the times Shogun, Fedor and Overeem landed hard GnP it was not due to a knockdown but after a takedown.

In fact most wrestlers are not very good at GnP, Hughes, Sonnen, Randleman, Fitch, Shields, Sherk ect. those guys were known for landing lots of blows that didn't do much damage.

Learn how to use paragraphs FFS.
I know how to read the entire thread, my guy. I'm aware of what prompted your ignorant response. Anddd you're still wrong. Put a list of the best GnP fighters together and it will inevitably include wrestlers. Mark Kerr, Hendo, Mark Coleman, Tito (ask literally anyone else, Mr. Unbias), Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones, GSP, Randy Couture, Rampage...it's literally a list of accomplished wrestlers. You provided exceptions. Here's a cookie.

*Here's some more paragraphs, just for you*

Why would an accomplished striker go to the ground? It makes no strategic sense. If Fedor, Shogun or Overeem were punching anyone on the ground, it was to finish an opponent that they hurt standing up. How many fights have accomplished strikers followed an opponent to the ground while the guy was rocked, couldn't finish and then disengaged to make them stand back up once the opponent recovers? Some don't even follow them to the ground at all.

Do you disagree with the premise that strikers submitting accomplished grapplers happens less often than better grapplers outstriking more accomplished stand up guys? Or is it just the reasoning the other dude posting provided? It definitely happens less often. And his reasoning seems spot on to me.

I think it’s more common to neutralize a better grappler than submit them.

I remember mackens semizier submitting waggney fabiano with a triangle was a big one back then

I've said for a long time that striking is a lot more stochastic than grappling. It's much more likely for an inferior striker to get in a "lucky punch" that will end the fight then it is for an inferior grappler to get in a fight-ending "lucky sub". Both happen, of course, but a good grappler can often fight off a sub, even after they make the mistake that lands them in a bad position. A good striker can't "fight off" a flush shot that they just didn't see coming due to a mistake, at that point it comes down to chin and speed of recovery.

Slightly off topic, as I had to double check the outcome. I recall thinking Alan Belcher was going to become another victim of Palhares. When it hit the ground, I was sure Belcher was done for. Belcher ended up catching Palhares in that Banana Split submission attempt.

He didn't pull it off, but I thought it was an honourable mention.

Young 205 pound Overeem tapped out BJJ Black Belt Vitor Belfort
Sakuraba was tapped out by none other than Kimo in his first MMA fight.

Ricardo Lamas and Anthony Pertos versus Charles Oliveira.

Oliveira is kind of a glass Cannon in BJJ. Awesome, slick offensive game but lacks in submission defende.

One that stands out to me a lot is Pettis (back then a blue belt ) armbarring from bottom Ben Henderson (at the time a brown).

In BJJ its exceptionally rare to see similarly sized and aged blue legit subbing a brown. It's very rare

Back