People Often KO better strikers- Can you submit better grapplers?

cole miller was a purple belt and subbed Jorge Gurgal who was a long time black belt.

Jon subbed Vitor, choked out Lyoto - both guys long time BB as well.

Pettis armbarred Henderson very quick - and he was either purple or brown at the time.

But this is MMA and those subs were set up with strikes and wear and tear during the fight.

Just like small gloves can even things up so do strikes even the grappling up (not always just like standing up).

That's a really interesting one cause Almeida didn't know he was being choked cause the move Hughes used was from wrestling.
yep, a reverse darce/anaconda.
Crazy sub tbh.
Hughes was STRONG .

Matt Lindland subbed Travis Lutter.
Anderson Silva subbed Travis Lutter.

Not a good time for Space Jam characters.
49WZ.gif

Now that's an A level athlete. With two weeks training he'd be the new Michael Jordan of jiu jitsu.

Shogun vs Chael

American wrestler vs bjj black belt.

Same with Hughess and Renzo

Faber submitted Cruz with a guillotine. Sometimes all it takes is one sloppy shot.

Look at Dustin vs Khabib. Khabib left his neck out slightly during a takedown and was put in a really bad position.
Faber is a better grappler.. thats probably why he sub'd him

Matt Hughes could have subbed Royce with ease, but was very nice...

yes. its a lot harder though. there are so many ways to anticipate attacks , defend and counter them on the ground. somethings though a lower skilled guy can catch a better guy with and speed timing and athleticism usually come a little into play when no strikes are involved.
but its definitely possible to catch people with submissions if your understanding of how to apply the technique is good enough. there are a lot of little details when it comes to actually finishing someone with a submission, with a strike sometimes all it takes is enough power and you can finish someone punching them in the forehead as opposed to grappling where you need to be much more precise in your application of the techniques.

You have less time to prepare for a strike than you do for a submission. Body to body contact gives you much more time to react to what your opponent is doing whereas a punch or kick can happen literally in the blink of an eye. That's why athleticism and reflexes matter more for striking.

Mighty Mouse subbed Wilson Reis

Pettis has LOTS of subs against credible grapplers

Cerrone has tapped a lot of dudes out also, not sure how many were black belts

No, I don't know what you mean, you claimed that grapplers don't have to worry about strikes on the ground as if striking isn't allowed on the ground.

Also most of the best GnP fighters in MMA have been guys who have very good striking like Fedor, Shogun, and Overeem.
First off, you're being a dick. Second off, you're wrong. GnP works when a striker drops someone and they are in survival mode. Maybe they succumb to strikes then. It isn't like guys are taking people down and punching them into dust from the guard. Fedor, Shogun, Overeem...guess we'll pretend that fighters haven't evolved since the early 2000s? Tito is the best GnP fighter to do it and his striking was/is absolute shit. If anything, the better submission artist is afraid of lay and pray, not devastating strikes landing. A better wrestler that is a lesser submission artist only does a few things: enough GnP to score points, controls and stays in top position to win the round, or lets the guy up to either strike again or score another takedown. Who are these world beaters taking bjj aces down and smashing their faces in? I'll give you Khabib, but I need another example from this decade.

Fabricio Werdum
Jacare Souza
Demian Maia
Ryan Hall

These 4 men collectively have 113 MMA fights, and ZERO LOSSES BY SUBMISSION.

First off, you're being a dick. Second off, you're wrong. GnP works when a striker drops someone and they are in survival mode. Maybe they succumb to strikes then. It isn't like guys are taking people down and punching them into dust from the guard. Fedor, Shogun, Overeem...guess we'll pretend that fighters haven't evolved since the early 2000s? Tito is the best GnP fighter to do it and his striking was/is absolute shit. If anything, the better submission artist is afraid of lay and pray, not devastating strikes landing. A better wrestler that is a lesser submission artist only does a few things: enough GnP to score points, controls and stays in top position to win the round, or lets the guy up to either strike again or score another takedown. Who are these world beaters taking bjj aces down and smashing their faces in? I'll give you Khabib, but I need another example from this decade.

I'm not being a dick, the guy I replied to said that grapplers do not need to worry about strikes on the ground which is totally wrong. Tito is not the best GnPer, he was never known for badly hurting people with GnP, he was mainly known for doing damage in full guard with elbows but Fedor, Shogun and Overeem are all known to have much harder hitting GnP.

Most of the times Shogun, Fedor and Overeem landed hard GnP it was not due to a knockdown but after a takedown.

In fact most wrestlers are not very good at GnP, Hughes, Sonnen, Randleman, Fitch, Shields, Sherk ect. those guys were known for landing lots of blows that didn't do much damage.

Learn how to use paragraphs FFS.

That is a stawman argument, I never said that there are a bunch of strikers taking down BJJ guys and smashing their faces, I said that in general the guys the hit the hardest with GnP are strikers and that BJJ guys do in fact have to worry about getting hit on the ground because GnP is part of MMA.

Last edited:
Back