People Often KO better strikers- Can you submit better grapplers?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t remember that happening often.

I do remember tony submitting gleison Tibau but that was after roughing him up with strikes.

How about Frank Mir submitting Roberto Traven?

Matt Lindland subbed Travis Lutter.
Anderson Silva subbed Travis Lutter.

Not a good time for Space Jam characters.

Well if you go by belt, I know Kurt Pellegrino was a higher ranking belt in BJJ when he was submitted by Nate Diaz.

Last edited:
Tim Sylvia was close to submitting Jeff monson and neutralized all his ground attacks

It's two very different things.

Wrestlers sometimes KO better strikers, because the strikers are concerned with defending the takedown. Strikers won't typically be submitting better grapplers when the fight's on the ground, as there's no striking threat occupying the grappler's mind when the fight's already on the ground.

With that said, it's definitely happened before. Ngannou getting the Kimura on Anthony Hamilton comes to mind. But Hamilton just isn't very good, and Ngannou is a freak of nature.

Yes, it doesn't happen as much but it does happen. Ben Rothwell is not as good of a grappler as Josh Barnett but he's really good at a particular choke and he was able to submit Barnett with it.

Faber submitted Cruz with a guillotine. Sometimes all it takes is one sloppy shot.

Look at Dustin vs Khabib. Khabib left his neck out slightly during a takedown and was put in a really bad position.

Brian Stann submitting Mike Massenzio
Kevin Burns submitting Roan Carneiro
Ben Rothwell subbing Josh Barnett
Pettis subbing Charles Oliveira
Mackens Semerzier subbing Waggney Fabiano

I’m sure that there are plenty more examples.

It's two very different things.

Wrestlers sometimes KO better strikers, because the strikers are concerned with defending the takedown. Strikers won't typically be submitting better grapplers when the fight's on the ground, as there's no striking threat occupying the grappler's mind when the fight's already on the ground.

With that said, it's definitely happened before. Ngannou getting the Kimura on Anthony Hamilton comes to mind. But Hamilton just isn't very good, and Ngannou is a freak of nature.

Are you claiming GnP doesn't exist?

Pettis probably is a better grappler than Oliveira, I agree with the rest though.

DeficientSpiritedGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

I'm not sure what belt Cub Swanson was at the time, but Jens Pulver choked him out immediately in the first round.

Are you claiming GnP doesn't exist?
No?

You know what I mean. It's the grappler's world when the fight's on the ground, they should be able to control the position. A fighter that comes from a traditional striking background has trained their whole life to strike on the feet, ground striking is an entirely different thing.

These were the two that immediately came to mind for me.

No?

You know what I mean. It's the grappler's world when the fight's on the ground, they should be able to control the position. A fighter that comes from a traditional striking background has trained their whole life to strike on the feet, ground striking is an entirely different thing.

No, I don't know what you mean, you claimed that grapplers don't have to worry about strikes on the ground as if striking isn't allowed on the ground.

Also most of the best GnP fighters in MMA have been guys who have very good striking like Fedor, Shogun, and Overeem.

Strikers sometimes rocks a grappler and then RNCs them. (rocking prevents sub defense)

Last edited:
Back