Opinion Pat Tillman

I met the commander of his Ranger Bat right before I commissioned.

Got a weird feel about the whole thing after meeting him.

Anybody that doesn't respect Pat Tillman is a horrible person.

"He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was killed by friendly fire. I like people who weren't killed by friendly fire." - Donald Trump

(paraphrased from his McCain quote)

"He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was killed by friendly fire. I like people who weren't killed by friendly fire." - Donald Trump

(paraphrased from his McCain quote)

Yeah. I voted for Trump cuz fuck Hillary but he's a draft dodging pos. But fuck McCain too.

I met the commander of his Ranger Bat right before I commissioned.

Got a weird feel about the whole thing after meeting him.

Do you believe there is any truth to the rumor that Tillman was shot intentionally by a fellow soldier over personal conflicts?

Respecting people for joining the military is stupid as fuck.

It’s a job, a pretty good job even if you stick with it. Good insurance, salary that’s guaranteed to get larger as time goes on, benefits like fuck.

Yeah bro....I really respect you for taking a job....lol.
No dude the only one here that is stupid as fuck is you.

Your dumbass would respect the military 2x over if shit with Russia popped off and Alaska was being defended by some guy who is just doing his job. Which is risking his for yours.

The hope is that never happens, the respect is someone signed up to do that job.

Hopefully nobody ever saw Full Metal Jacket and thought, "Man, I want to get wrapped up in those sorts of heroics!" If so, they likely entirely missed the point.

hi nac386,

when i think about that movie, i have a hard time recalling any heroics whatsoever.

i remember Matthew Modine attempting to explain why he had a peace sign button on his jacket to a general - which was pretty funny and very Kubric - but no heroics.

- IGIT

I did it immediately after 9/11. To do the same thing he said he wanted to do.

But dude...giving up millions for MREs is fucking stupid I think. I'm not channeling that douche VP who says Army is for uneducated people I just think that we fight for people to be successful. And he was and could have been but did something completely unnecessary.
Somethings are worth fighting for. Why do you feel so strongly about his decision?

And to say “giving up millions” is debatable, he wasn’t Tom Brady. He obviously was talented and physically strong enough to play pro ball, but an average NFL career is 2 years or something.

The Pat Tillman story is heartbreaking. I respect the man for following his heart.

hi nac386,

when i think about that movie, i have a hard time recalling any heroics whatsoever.

i remember Matthew Modine attempting to explain why he had a peace sign button on his jacket to a general - which was pretty funny and very Kubric - but no heroics.

- IGIT

"I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man?"

Lol.

So you still believe we went over to Afghanistan and Iraq to fight terrorism and protect Murica? It's naive, stupid, unaware, retarded thinking like this that will ensure this stupid game keeps giving out stupid prizes to everyone on all sides forever.
Yeah, that is a great description of you and all idiots who think like you.
No, the U.S. military went to Iraq and Afghanistan purely for the beautiful scenery...

I think anyone with legit options should never join the military. No point in putting your life on the line just so politicians can enrich themselves.
What do you mean, legit opinions?

Was this a slight that joining the military concludes one cannot think for themselves? Or are you insisting that joining is dumb, because the only thing the military does is benefit politicians?

Completely understand why you'd think that. George Foreman gave up boxing in his prime for 10 years to become a priest. He gave up vast sums of money for what he believed to be a higher purpose. Plenty of boxers who wish they had the physical gifts Foreman had must've looked at him the same way you describe Tillman. If someone feels they have a higher purpose, then money, opportunity, and fame actually doesn't mean as much anymore. Hard as it may be for you or me to understand choosing military over millions of dollars playing football. I get what you're saying, but some of the comments here were taking it a bit too far, IMO.

If you don't think the military is a "legit option", then you have a very cynical and uneducated view on this, at best. The military is more than just some last resort for anybody who has subpar education and few other options in life. Plenty of people go to school for four years and join the military after. There are amazing and fulfilling careers to be had in the military, not everyone is some lowly grunt. There are doctors and scientists who have learned their skill in the military.
Luckily for him he got even richer selling grills.

Somethings are worth fighting for. Why do you feel so strongly about his decision?

And to say “giving up millions” is debatable, he wasn’t Tom Brady. He obviously was talented and physically strong enough to play pro ball, but an average NFL career is 2 years or something.
I'm not familiar with him but he looks to be pretty small. Maybe he would be a Meathead or Schaub.

WTF!
Is that what your recruiter told you? You should have joined a service support MOS, not the Infantry. So, my soldiers and I put our lives on the line so some guy on Wall Street could be a millionaire? No, I don't think so. We fought for our country and for each other...
You put your lives on the line for exactly what he said. That millionaire on wall street and that homeless guy across the street.
Same thing.

Still, I don't think someone else should make it there business to come and a stop to it. I don't think it would be helpful, or justifiable, for some other nation to come over here and overthrow our govt, install their own, kill our citizens, and turn our cities into war zones.
Yeah, like some other nation came over to New York and killed 3,000 innocent men and women during 9/11. The U.S. did not overthrow the government in Afghanistan. It did not install a government in Afghanistan. It overthrew the government in Iraq with Iraqi opposition support. It did not install a government in Iraq either. So, you favor terrorism and the killing of thousands of innocent men, women, and children?
And if you think about it it goes against a lot of the ideals of the Founding Fathers.
No it does not. No large nation can survive (defend itself) without an Army. The U.S. would have perished in the War of 1812 without an Army and Navy. Not to mention the American Civil War.

I think anyone with legit options should never join the military. No point in putting your life on the line just so politicians can enrich themselves.
Why do you think joining the military means putting your life on the line? About 85% of the jobs in the military are non-combat occupations. Not every soldier deployed during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The majority who deployed never saw combat.

Back