Opinion Pat Tillman

No it does not. No large nation can survive (defend itself) without an Army. The U.S. would have perished in the War of 1812 without an Army and Navy. Not to mention the American Civil War.
Oh of course but they saw it as a necessary evil, not something to be celebrated at every turn and especially not if it was an imperial military anything like the modern US military.

Oh of course but they saw it as a necessary evil, not something to be celebrated at every turn and especially not if it was an imperial military anything like the modern US military.

If I had to point to one particular war in which after the war US military might was enamored more than ever, I would say it was the war of 1812. So, the belief that have a strong federal military, that was known to all was because of the success of "victory" over the Birts in 1812.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, this was the foundation for the modern US military, and it's role in the federal government.

Or are you just saying you do not like how overly supportive the US population is to the members of military?

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. -- Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid, one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory."
Douglas MacArthur

479px-Clinton_Romesha_portrait.jpg

Or are you just saying you do not like how overly supportive the US population is to the members of military?
yes and I would go a step further and argue that the people of the Founding Father's generation likely wouldn't either. But that's not to say they didn't recognize the need for a standing federal army.

This fucking thread smh. Only thing I know from reading about Tillman was that he was a Ranger, physical beast, all around good human being and wanted something more then the NFL could give him. Can’t fault the dude for those things. All those thing he had are probably a hell of a lot more then some of you sorry sacks of shit got going for you.

No dude the only one here that is stupid as fuck is you.

Your dumbass would respect the military 2x over if shit with Russia popped off and Alaska was being defended by some guy who is just doing his job. Which is risking his for yours.

The hope is that never happens, the respect is someone signed up to do that job.

Anybody who hangs on the balls of military people is a homosexual. There’s nothing special about the military and it draws in the lowest common denominator, people who can’t function in normal society so they need to follow directions like drones for their careers.

Oddly enough, the Hispanic guy from the boyband O-Town joined and served in the Army AFTER being in MTV's making the band and making two albums

Although he didn't have near as steady a living as Tillman did

We're living in a society where most people have very little character or conviction, so when they see a guy like Pat Tillman take on an "unnecessary" hardship because he feels like it's the right thing to do, people just don't understand it and think it's dumb.
People voted for a draft dodger as president, so yea

if that is what he wanted to do, it was his choice. what i find amazing is how much of the civilian population believes and how many in the military will tell you they did it "to serve their country." when i was in, i would say somewhere around 5% gave a shit about serving their country (i didn't). people did it to get free money for school, to learn a trade, or have a job. thats pretty much it. nobody gave 2 shits about serving, they cared about a job

There’s nothing special about the military and it draws in the lowest common denominator, people who can’t function in normal society so they need to follow directions like drones for their careers.
...and how would you know this? Were you a failure in the military? Let's make a list of the idiots:
. George Washington - President
. Robert E. Lee
. Ulysses S. Grant - President
. John Pershing
. Dwight Eisenhower - President
. George Patton
. Douglas MacArthur
. Johnny Cash
. Steve McQueen
. Clint Eastwood

Anybody who hangs on the balls of military people is a homosexual. There’s nothing special about the military and it draws in the lowest common denominator, people who can’t function in normal society so they need to follow directions like drones for their careers.

Lol you're purposely being a fucktard. What other stereotypes do you wholesale believe in? You're pretty pathetic on this one.

Yeah you're pretty shallow OP, I respect him because he fought for what he believed in.

You know it doesn't bother me one bit when people question and argue the logic of recent involvement in Libya/Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan etc...people should question these things (soldiers and civilians alike).

However, when someone with zero intellect, incapable of making a solid point criticizes ANY country's military personnel, it is just pretty embarrassing. Ironically you have made yourself look irrational and weak, probably the opposite effect of what you were hoping.

The two oldest professions are whores and soldiers: I know which one I was and which one your mother is ;)

So. I went to basic training with this guy. Infantry IBCT at Benning.

If you didn't know, he quit a contract with the Arizona Cardinals to go into the Army on some sort of patriotic kick after 9/11.

Now this may rub some of you the wrong way, especially vets, but I was a bit hard on him.

I told this guy, "Why man?" "Why quit a lucrative millions of dollars to defend your country when you don't need to?" "It's what us lowly fucks are for." "It's why we fight, so you can do that shit."

He says he wanted to after 9/11 because they attacked us and he wants to give to his country.

But it's like... he had no need to. At all. There was plenty of us who signed up afterwards. Now guess what, he's dead.

Do you respect him for this? Would you respect Brad Pitt more if he quit acting to join the Army?

I dunno,man. I just thought it was unnecessary. That he would do that when he has the possibility of being a millionaire.

Would I go the millionaire route instead of joining the Army? Fuck yes.

I dunno, does that make me shallow?

On the day of 9/11. I was like 23 years old, working a landscaping job.

Heard about it, thought we were going to war, and immediately wanted to join the military.

Have since learned that we are in a state of perpetual war for nothing more than the financial gain of politicians.

On the day of 9/11. I was like 23 years old, working a landscaping job.

Heard about it, thought we were going to war, and immediately wanted to join the military.

Have since learned that we are in a state of perpetual war for nothing more than the financial gain of politicians.

You pay taxes? Then you already line the pockets of politicians.

At least if you had joined the military you wouldn't come up with using grandiose reasons why not to have joined. It is like a few people I know who said 'I wouldn't join the military because of the current Commander in Chief'. Just excuses.

I can honestly say none of my colleagues were concerned with the monthly income of the Prime Minister or Defense Secretary when we were serving lol...

Being in the military doesn't make you an instant hero.

But I respect Pat for doing something that would put him in harm's way and squash his cash flow because he thought it was the right thing to do.

Back then we didn't have invasion fatigue, going to Afghanistan to get OBL just seemed like the right thing to do so I will refrain from posting from the perspective of hindsight.

You pay taxes? Then you already line the pockets of politicians.

At least if you had joined the military you wouldn't come up with using grandiose reasons why not to have joined. It is like a few people I know who said 'I wouldn't join the military because of the current Commander in Chief'. Just excuses.

I can honestly say none of my colleagues were concerned with the monthly income of the Prime Minister or Defense Secretary when we were serving lol...

Great argument.
Grandiose?
I don't need an excuse to not join. I was saying I almost had an excuse to join.

It's the last thing I would do without a good reason.

I did it immediately after 9/11. To do the same thing he said he wanted to do.

But dude...giving up millions for MREs is fucking stupid I think. I'm not channeling that douche VP who says Army is for uneducated people I just think that we fight for people to be successful. And he was and could have been but did something completely unnecessary.
9/11 happened my senior year, and I seriously thought about joining up right after the attacks. I almost thought I should join before they restart the draft. I met with recruiters but found out I wouldn't qualify due to vision issue. Only have %20 vision in one eye, so they basically said thanks but no thanks(Navy).

Back