Opinion Pat Tillman

SamSchmidt

I crossed time for you belt
Banned
Reaction score
So. I went to basic training with this guy. Infantry IBCT at Benning.

If you didn't know, he quit a contract with the Arizona Cardinals to go into the Army on some sort of patriotic kick after 9/11.

Now this may rub some of you the wrong way, especially vets, but I was a bit hard on him.

I told this guy, "Why man?" "Why quit a lucrative millions of dollars to defend your country when you don't need to?" "It's what us lowly fucks are for." "It's why we fight, so you can do that shit."

He says he wanted to after 9/11 because they attacked us and he wants to give to his country.

But it's like... he had no need to. At all. There was plenty of us who signed up afterwards. Now guess what, he's dead.

Do you respect him for this? Would you respect Brad Pitt more if he quit acting to join the Army?

I dunno,man. I just thought it was unnecessary. That he would do that when he has the possibility of being a millionaire.

Would I go the millionaire route instead of joining the Army? Fuck yes.

I dunno, does that make me shallow?

I think the more interesting aspect of Tillman is how he died of friendly fire, and was then used as war propaganda.

I think the more interesting aspect of Tillman is how he died of friendly fire, and was then used as war propaganda.
He did. And it's sad. I don't think he was used as propaganda though. Can you find any articles that espouse that?

Respecting people for joining the military is stupid as fuck.

It’s a job, a pretty good job even if you stick with it. Good insurance, salary that’s guaranteed to get larger as time goes on, benefits like fuck.

Yeah bro....I really respect you for taking a job....lol.

Figures it came from NYT. But I will admit yes, they did use it as propaganda didn't they.
That was just a random review I grabbed. Couldn't find a link to the film on any streaming sites, other than Itunes.

Respecting people for joining the military is stupid as fuck.

It’s a job, a pretty good job even if you stick with it. Good insurance, salary that’s guaranteed to get larger as time goes on, benefits like fuck.

Yeah bro....I really respect you for taking a job....lol.
Yeah man, I think it's annoying when people thank me for my service. It's more dangerous to go up there by you and do Bering straight crab runs.

Fuck all that noise. I would hate to be a greenhorn

IlliterateCarefulBorer-size_restricted.gif

He died for this.

So. I went to basic training with this guy. Infantry IBCT at Benning. If you didn't know, he quit a contract with the Arizona Cardinals to go into the Army on some sort of patriotic kick after 9/11. I told this guy, "Why man?" "Why quit a lucrative millions of dollars to defend your country when you don't need to?" "It's what us lowly fucks are for." He says he wanted to after 9/11 because they attacked us and he wants to give to his country. There was plenty of us who signed up afterwards. Do you respect him for this? I dunno man. I just thought it was unnecessary. That he would do that when he has the possibility of being a millionaire
Why do you think being rich (as a civilian) is better than serving your country? Tillman wanted to live and fight for a cause. Money was not a priority to him. Why do you think people who join the military are 'lowly fucks'? They are not. There weren't plenty of 'us' who signed up 'afterwards', that is why the U.S. Army implemented 'stop loss'. Not enough people in an all volunteer military to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. The better question is, why did you join the U.S. Army?

Why do you think being rich (as a civilian) is better than serving your country? Tillman wanted to live and fight for a cause. Money was not a priority to him. Why do you think people who join the military are 'lowly fucks'? They are not. There weren't plenty of 'us' who signed up 'afterwards', that is why the U.S. Army implemented 'stop loss'. Not enough people in an all volunteer military to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. The better question is, why did you join the U.S. Army?
I did it immediately after 9/11. To do the same thing he said he wanted to do.

But dude...giving up millions for MREs is fucking stupid I think. I'm not channeling that douche VP who says Army is for uneducated people I just think that we fight for people to be successful. And he was and could have been but did something completely unnecessary.

It is all covered in this documentary. Why Tillman joined. How he died -- friendly fire. U.S. Army cover up of killing.
Sad story, he was a good human being...

Didn't you used to talk about invading Iran until someone told you to sign up or shut up.

I just think that we fight for people to be successful.
WTF!
Is that what your recruiter told you? You should have joined a service support MOS, not the Infantry. So, my soldiers and I put our lives on the line so some guy on Wall Street could be a millionaire? No, I don't think so. We fought for our country and for each other...
Didn't you used to talk about invading Iran until someone told you to sign up or shut up.
No, that must have been someone else. I did my time in the military, U.S. Army.

WTF!
Is that what your recruiter told you? You should have joined a service support MOS, not the Infantry. So, my soldiers and I put our lives on the line so some guy on Wall Street could be a millionaire? No, I don't think so. We fought for our country and for each other...

Nope I know we fight for our brothers. Don't put words in my mouth. I just think if you have a better route take it. It was fulfilling for me beyond any financial gains or benefits. I look back on my time and think it the greatest time of my life.

I just think we fight for our country and for our people to be free and successful as well. Enrichment for our people is not a bad thing.

WTF!

My bad dude must have been someone else

I would have respected him more if he joined to fight Saudi Arabia, where the majority of "the flying skyscraper enrichers" came from...

Ah, ole Audie Murphy 2.0

They really tried it.

Back