Opinion Pat Tillman

Imagine joining up to to serve your country only to be killed by your own people. I wouldnt have given up a massive contract to go to war, no chance but I understand those who felt the need after 9/11. Emotions were running high.

Ok. Then do you think we should go put a stop to it?

No. I think things like abortion and hormone therapy and gender conversion for children are every bit as evil as those aspect of Sharia Law. My worldview sees those things as abhorrent and completely evil and that happens right here in the US. Its promoted and celebrated by our government.

Still, I don't think someone else should make it there business to come and a stop to it. I don't think it would be helpful, or justifiable, for some other nation to come over here and overthrow our govt, install their own, kill our citizens, and turn our cities into war zones...for 20 years...all in the name of protecting American children. Do you?

Shallow? Not at all. Smart. Pat got caught up in the heroics of it all. Maybe a bit too much Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket. Imo, he wasted a much better opportunity because of it.

Sucks he died but that's war and it is hell, not glamor.

Hopefully nobody ever saw Full Metal Jacket and thought, "Man, I want to get wrapped up in those sorts of heroics!" If so, they likely entirely missed the point.

Respecting people for joining the military is stupid as fuck.

It’s a job, a pretty good job even if you stick with it. Good insurance, salary that’s guaranteed to get larger as time goes on, benefits like fuck.

Yeah bro....I really respect you for taking a job....lol.
And if you think about it it goes against a lot of the ideals of the Founding Fathers. They were very fearful of the oppressive potential of a standing army and in their time the idealized soldier was not the professional one but the citizen-soldier who only went to war when absolutely necessary to defend his country.

Not saying we should necessarily remain beholden to the entirety of the world view of the Founding Fathers but it is interesting to note the cultural 180 America has done on the question of the military.

No. I think things like abortion and hormone therapy and gender conversion for children are every bit as evil as those aspect of Sharia Law. My worldview sees those things as abhorrent and completely evil and that happens right here in the US. Its promoted and celebrated by our government.

Still, I don't think someone else should make it there business to come and a stop to it. I don't think it would be helpful, or justifiable, for some other nation to come over here and overthrow our govt, install their own, kill our citizens, and turn our cities into war zones...for 20 years...all in the name of protecting American children. Do you?
Ok. Then you want to let them keep stoning their daughters to death when they like another dude instead of who they chose for them.

Check

There it is.
Insanity at it's fullest in today's age.

Hopefully nobody ever saw Full Metal Jacket and thought, "Man, I want to get wrapped up in those sorts of heroics!" If so, they likely entirely missed the point.
I usually disagree with your Warrom posts.

But this is entirely too true

This thread is fucking cancer, outside of the poster who served and I respect, although I do not completely agree with.

You guys think Tillman didn't realize his opportunity? He was going to be on a pro football team. He knew what kind of checks he was going to get. The guy was so affected by 9/11 he gave that up to serve his country. Yeah, he could have stayed and played football but is it so hard to believe all that money would actually mean less to him than going and serving in the military? Everyone thinks differently.

In this day and age, with this asswipe cynical generation of people who frown on patriotism, stories like Tillman's are criticized. I remember when it happened and how inspiring it was. More importantly, it was so relatable and understanding because everyone was so affected by 9/11. It truly is a shame he died. How he died and the government misusing his story was really a shame as well.

Much respect for Pat Tillman. Big f****** nuts.

The government fucked him over by trying to capitalize on his death.

Ok. Then you want to let them keep stoning their daughters to death when they like another dude instead of who they chose for them.

Check

There it is.
You're the one who is insane if you think the US government invaded Afghanistan or Iraq to do their people any favors and even more insane if you think those countries are better off after the invasion than before it.

Check

There it is.

How come youre not answering any of my questions? I answered your questions and agreed to cooperate so you could make your point. How come you won't do the same for me?

Guy left a job to start another career in a field he thought would have more positive impact on society.

What's the controversy?

How come youre not answering any of my questions? I answered your questions and agreed to cooperate so you could make your point. How come you won't do the same for me?
Because his answer would make him look like a hypocrite. It's pretty obvious at this point.

It’s a job, a pretty good job even if you stick with it. Good insurance, salary that’s guaranteed to get larger as time goes on, benefits like fuck.

It is kind of funny when you think about it like that. For me it’s just giving a small amount of respect to people who are doing a job I wouldn’t sure as shit do. Sitting in some desert hole somewhere worrying about jody and having to deal with man love Thursday’s.....cmon man just a little respect is warranted haha

It is kind of funny when you think about it like that. For me it’s just giving a small amount of respect to people who are doing a job I wouldn’t sure as shit do. Sitting in some desert hole somewhere worrying about jody and having to deal with man love Thursday’s.....cmon man just a little respect is warranted haha

What purpose are they actually serving by sitting in that manhole tho? Sure, it's dangerous but so is professional wrestling. Its all part of the gig.

I can see where you are coming from but at the same time the same also applies to many other jobs that are not respected in the same way. Consider sewage and sanitation workers, their jobs are vital for the normal functioning of society. In fact indoor plumbing and waste management make much more of a difference in the daily lives of average citizens than the military does. And yet no one respects those fields at all, much less anywhere near the amount of respect the military gets.

Check

There it is.
The U.S. in the last 16 years has killed more civilians and children than the Taliban have in there entire history

Hard to get fired from, pay for college once you're out, Corp media keeping everybody else on your side because you served the same entities they do etc...

I respect it, however. I also hate seeing kids go into combat for essentially nothing.

Because his answer would make him look like a hypocrite. It's pretty obvious at this point.
What? How? My answer is this.

He said we went over to the middle east to terrorize that country, Iraq and Afghanistan I'm assuming.

One had a dickhead dictator we needed to oust since day 1. The other was a Harbor,for fucking cuck terrorists who want to kill nothing but women and children. Don't believe me? Look at these loons now.

And I'm in regards to Tillman, it was his choice to make. Doesn't matter what others think that much. Seems like his heart was in the right place. Hope the "friendly fire" was accidental, and not some skinny kid he was giving a hard time to or something.

I would generally agree....but, as you know, this criticism doesn't apply to Tillman, since he re-enlisted after becoming a millionaire. For someone with little education, professional experience, or overall ability, the military is a great, great career opportunity, as it opens up a lot of doors and yields silly amounts of social prestige. But Tillman already had a million-dollar contract and lots of social prestige on account of being a professional athlete.

Do you respect him for this? Would you respect Brad Pitt more if he quit acting to join the Army?

I dunno,man. I just thought it was unnecessary. That he would do that when he has the possibility of being a millionaire.
Would I go the millionaire route instead of joining the Army? Fuck yes.
I dunno, does that make me shallow?

Of course many respect him more and rightfully so. I don't think he made the right choice, but he made it to serve a higher purpose than his own enrichment. By all accounts, Tillman was a extraordinary person.

Also, he was a liberal and, during his tour, became very critical of the legality of the war. I found that very surprising after the Republicans appropriated his story and made him into this right-wing uber-patriot-type.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/Pat-Tillman-s-family-clarifies-his-legacy-12235077.php
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/pat-tillman-nfl-protest-death-army-disgrace/

Back