Palhares cut and banned from UFC

I'm also wondering if he's really injured anybody badly in MMA. (He didn't in ADCC, BTW - Avellan didn't tear anything.) Pierce didn't seem to be limping that badly afterwards, and I heard Drwal wasn't seriously hurt either.
I think this is an important point. Is he really cranking that hard after the tap? It seems like somebody should have gotten injured if he did.

I'm also wondering if he's really injured anybody badly in MMA. (He didn't in ADCC, BTW - Avellan didn't tear anything.) Pierce didn't seem to be limping that badly afterwards, and I heard Drwal wasn't seriously hurt either.

Someone posted earlier in this thread that all of his heel hook victims were back in the cage within 3-6 months. Pretty typical layoff between fights.

Good thing Palhares was cut. Every white and blue belt in the nation is FURIOUS and I don't think Dana could deal with it. IF I TAP YOU BETTER LET GO. Fuck the ref, there's only one ref for me; MY OPPONENT. I mean, yea, really none of his opponents are ever mutilated or anything, and he's never ended any careers, and they all seem to be fine anyway, BUT FUCK THAT. When I strap on my whitebelt with FOUR FUCKING STRIPES and go to kick ass at the gym, when anybody taps EVERYBODY LETS GO. At the first tap, the entire gym shuts down and everyone goes home. GAME. OVER. You don't keep going. Fuck, I'm so conditioned that whenever I pass by a tap dance school I'm fucking PARALYZED. Anything I'm holding? STRAIGHT TO THE FUCKING GROUND. Why? Because I let go when I hear the tap. I take a 30 second break after typing the word "TAP" just to make sure I'm not hurting my keyboard.

Someone posted earlier in this thread that all of his heel hook victims were back in the cage within 3-6 months. Pretty typical layoff between fights.

Also more than enough time to have surgery for a torn meniscus. The way that all of these guys were clutching their knees means SOMETHING nasty happened, even if it was "just" torn ligaments that healed after a few weeks.

Dana used to make fun of Kimbo in the EliteXC saying they were trying to make it 'ultimate kickboxing' by getting people who couldn't grapple to fight him, now it seems like he's doing the exact same thing with the UFC, by cutting grapplers, even the ones who win.

Also people who say stuff like 'you should stop as soon as the other guy taps', bullshit! Not when it's your career at stake and the other guy is willing to pretend he didn't tap if the ref didn't see it. This is a total bullshit decision by the UFC.

Liability move Imo. Ufc lawyers don't want to deal lawsuits from fighters who claim they were going to be the next gsp tilt palhares destroyed their knee and they were never the same after. Ufc knew he habitually violated the rules but still let him fight. That along with PR is too much risk.

It's undoubtedly a risk vs reward from the UFC's standpoint. Potential for bad PR/potential for increased medical bills and virtually no one tunes into a card solely for Palhares. Not to mention, the UFC doesn't care if you're punch drunk in 20 years, they do care if you're sidelined and can't fight for an extended period of time.

Cutting the guy is really just a smart business decision at this point.

I'm glad that Palhares hasn't yet completely wrecked somebody's knee by holding on to a submission too long, but I don't think it really matters much in regard to his punishment. Paul Daley didn't break Josh Koscheck's jaw when he sucker punched him, but he could have. If the UFC were to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing then sooner or later somebody will get their knee shredded needlessly.

The whole "phantom tap" excuse would make sense if guys were giving half-hearted Fedor taps or something, but they're not, they're tapping repeatedly on Toquinho's body and then screaming. And yet he's still cranking the sub even after the ref gets there. He's done it twice now in the UFC and several times over the course of his career. I like watching him heel hook people as much as anybody but I completely understand why the UFC felt it had to send a message here.

Lol at the keyboard toughguys. When the ref taps your shoulder, you let go. If some asshole refuses to acknowledge that multiple times, that's not an accident. You obey the referee, no questions asked as stated.

I'm glad that Palhares hasn't yet completely wrecked somebody's knee by holding on to a submission too long, but I don't think it really matters much in regard to his punishment. Paul Daley didn't break Josh Koscheck's jaw when he sucker punched him, but he could have. If the UFC were to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing then sooner or later somebody will get their knee shredded needlessly.

The whole "phantom tap" excuse would make sense if guys were giving half-hearted Fedor taps or something, but they're not, they're tapping repeatedly on Toquinho's body and then screaming. And yet he's still cranking the sub even after the ref gets there. He's done it twice now in the UFC and several times over the course of his career. I like watching him heel hook people as much as anybody but I completely understand why the UFC felt it had to send a message here.

Exactly. Just because he hasnt seriously hurt someone yet doesnt mean its okay, or it wont happen in the future.

fuck out of here,the guy isnt paying attention to his opponent tapping OR the referee.Most people grasp the concept of waiting for the tap,or here comes the ref i can let this go. Palhares is more : got the submission. who is touching me? is that the ref? this guy is tapping i think but is that the ref? porra im not sure.....yes that is the ref trying to get me to let go...ehh ok ill let go.

most people? who told you that? wating for the tap my ass, you get the lock and you crank as hard as you can, period, this is not golf, not a grappling competition nor a day in the gym.

so when ronda is breaking arms left and right, is right? but hell, toquinho should wait for the tap and apply slow pressure?

I'm all for Palhares getting cut and losing his bonus. He pulls this shit all of the time... he'll hold onto leg locks long after the tap and put guys out for six months.

When someone taps... YOU STOP.... PERIOD.

says who? you? ok, new rules, the ref aint got shit to do in the cage, the fighters are the ones calling when the fight stops.

I disagree with the decision, but not strongly. I understand why they did it. Would have rather seen a severe penalty - year suspension, mandatory anger management (haha) or something like that

Whatever, Bellator or WSOF will sign him soon, he'll just rip off legs elswhere, it's a good opportunity for him to try ADCC again though.

Good thing Palhares was cut. Every white and blue belt in the nation is FURIOUS and I don't think Dana could deal with it. IF I TAP YOU BETTER LET GO. Fuck the ref, there's only one ref for me; MY OPPONENT. I mean, yea, really none of his opponents are ever mutilated or anything, and he's never ended any careers, and they all seem to be fine anyway, BUT FUCK THAT. When I strap on my whitebelt with FOUR FUCKING STRIPES and go to kick ass at the gym, when anybody taps EVERYBODY LETS GO. At the first tap, the entire gym shuts down and everyone goes home. GAME. OVER. You don't keep going. Fuck, I'm so conditioned that whenever I pass by a tap dance school I'm fucking PARALYZED. Anything I'm holding? STRAIGHT TO THE FUCKING GROUND. Why? Because I let go when I hear the tap. I take a 30 second break after typing the word "TAP" just to make sure I'm not hurting my keyboard.

Hahahahah, I like :wink:

Lol at the keyboard toughguys. When the ref taps your shoulder, you let go. If some asshole refuses to acknowledge that multiple times, that's not an accident. You obey the referee, no questions asked as stated.

Are you a real tough guy? Do you play a lazy guard game and only do gi?

most people? who told you that? wating for the tap my ass, you get the lock and you crank as hard as you can, period, this is not golf, not a grappling competition nor a day in the gym.

so when ronda is breaking arms left and right, is right? but hell, toquinho should wait for the tap and apply slow pressure?

The difference is when ronda breaks peoples arms, they arent tapping furiously to get her to stop.

Back