Palhares cut and banned from UFC

Even though according to the video it only lasted a second. The guy did tap several times before palahares let go. I dont like the decision but I understand it.

What a farce. A man banned from fighting because he hurt a couple of guys?

think he'll really do that?

also, i thought the fight was stops when the ref says so, even before he places his hands on both fighters. true or not?

we didnt know he heard the ref, it was a stadium packed with 10000 Brazilians screaming like crazy... kind of hard to heard one guy in the heat of the moment, hell how many times when rolling people yell at us to stop because we are going out of bounds, getting close to the mirrors or other classmates rolling, an we dont hear shit... well, now imagine toquinho in the middle of that stadium in that fight?

Has anyone actually gotten Pierce's opinion on all of this? All I heard was a butthurt trainer of his saying it was his ankle that had a boo-boo, not his knee.

Everyone always bitches about Palhares ending career's etc. But he hasn't. Fuck, Tomasz Drawl was fighting 5 months after his fight with Palhares. Branch fought 3 months after getting heel hooked. Massenzio and Linhares fought again after 4 months. See. No career ending injuries.

My jimmies are totes rustled.

Personally, I think it's the "Oh no leglocks ruin lives" hype permeating into this scenario.

Most people a) Do not understand leglocks
and b) derive their opinions on safety to other peoples' opinions - of whom also don't train leglocks and perpetuate horror stories that only exacerbate the nasty image leglocks have.

I think a brain-rattling punch after a concussive knock-out is considerably worse - but hey, some of those mentioned in the thread are American poster-boys, so as if that's going to happen :p

How many submissions happen in the UFC? how many people has done what Palhares did to Drwal?

And 1 second is a lot of time

Well if it's true it was to be expected and I believe it's safe to say he brought it on himself...
Such behaviour can ruin the public image of MMA in general.

but allowing guys like sonnen to pretty much promote racism and xenophobia is okay for mma's image?

Pretty lame to release him, honestly. Take away the bonus, warn him that if it happens again he'll definitely be released. I think this is a mental incompetence issue, and shouldn't be attributed to malice or a lack of empathy.

Palhares grew up without any sort of organized schooling, that I'm aware of. I think he just lacks the reasoning that most of us in first-world countries have developed.

So he's not malicious, he's just... stupid?

I guess that's a legal defense.

Finally, fuck that dude. Tapping is tapping. Mate he felt the tap got touched by the rep, thought about it and cranked again. Fuck him.

Finally, fuck that dude. Tapping is tapping. Mate he felt the tap got touched by the rep, thought about it and cranked again. Fuck him.

bs, as soon as the ref taps him he releases within a second

the tap is not for him, it is for the ref, he is right to ignore it and wait for ref intervention

Hard call. I think it would be different if the submission wasn't a small joint manipulation. There's reason most grappling gyms make their practitioners show a level of proficiency before they are allowed to use heel hooks. I think if it was his first offense, then no big deal, but he's made this kind of conduct a habit and that's bad when it could be avoided so easily....should he be cut? It sucks, but I think so.

Personally, I think it's the "Oh no leglocks ruin lives" hype permeating into this scenario.

Most people a) Do not understand leglocks
and b) derive their opinions on safety to other peoples' opinions - of whom also don't train leglocks and perpetuate horror stories that only exacerbate the nasty image leglocks have.

I think a brain-rattling punch after a concussive knock-out is considerably worse - but hey, some of those mentioned in the thread are American poster-boys, so as if that's going to happen :p

You exposed the idiots in this thread. Thank you.

he goes for broke and he waits for the ref to call it, nothing wrong with it... as soon as the ref calls it it is less than a second till he lets go

Well obviously some people think there is something wrong with cranking submissions as the ref is trying to pull you off your opponent (like the majority of fans, the UFC, and me). This happens repeatedly with Palhares whereas it never seems to be an issue with any other UFC fighters.

I really think it is a shame that Palhares can't control himself but it is clear that he can't. You are free to delude yourself into thinking otherwise but that has no bearing on reality.

How many submissions happen in the UFC? how many people has done what Palhares did to Drwal?

And 1 second is a lot of time

Bj Penn did it. Stop being a wimp.

[QUOTE="Mata Leao";87752421]Well obviously some people think there is something wrong with cranking submissions as the ref is trying to pull you off your opponent (like the majority of fans, the UFC, and me). This happens repeatedly with Palhares whereas it never seems to be an issue with any other UFC fighters.

I really think it is a shame that Palhares can't control himself but it is clear that he can't. You are free to delude yourself into thinking otherwise but that has no bearing on reality.[/QUOTE]

Name all the people he has injured. Come on. Let's hear it chief.

Back