Palhares cut and banned from UFC

Lol at the keyboard toughguys. When the ref taps your shoulder, you let go. If some asshole refuses to acknowledge that multiple times, that's not an accident. You obey the referee, no questions asked as stated.

He let go of it like a second after Mazzagatti told him to stop.

He let go of it like a second after Mazzagatti told him to stop.

There's also the part where the other guy tapped and Paul Harris cranked harder.

Mazagatti looked like he had to do it multiple times to get him to stop.

If you ask any UFC fighter if they would rather take an extra shot after they are out or let Palhares crank a leg lock 2 seconds too long they would all take the extra shot. Nothing can go wrong quicker than a leg lock, especially if you have the strength, technique and low IQ of Palhares.

There's also the part where the other guy tapped and Paul Harris cranked harder.

Mazagatti looked like he had to do it multiple times to get him to stop.

a guy tapping means fuckall. the way the ref landing on them made it look like he was cranking harder. don't really care though

It really didn't look all that bad. Unless he's getting punished for not releasing it when the guy tapped, I don't see where he did anything wrong. He waited for the ref to stop it, which is what you're supposed to do.

I don't see anyone getting punished for late punches, just because the ref was slow in calling the fight off.

Don't really care though. Not like Paul....Pol...Rous.........that fighter guy, was going anywhere in the UFC.

most people? who told you that? wating for the tap my ass, you get the lock and you crank as hard as you can, period, this is not golf, not a grappling competition nor a day in the gym.

so when ronda is breaking arms left and right, is right? but hell, toquinho should wait for the tap and apply slow pressure?

Ronda never waits for the ref, she releases when opponent taps, its an instinct learned in the gym, if you are conditioned to release to tap in training chances are you are going to do that in comp.

Tate's arm was broken because she didnt tapped, not because Ronda ignored it, same with Julia Budd.

The hell, you dont seem to remember that Ronda got a lot of flak because she talked to a ref when she released a pretty nasty armbar because her opponent yelled.

Ronda actually had a reason to crank after the D'Alelio fight and yet she still respects her opponents by not going to distance, with that rolling armbar of her she really doesnt gives time to a ref to intervene, she releases on tap.

Liability move Imo. Ufc lawyers don't want to deal lawsuits from fighters who claim they were going to be the next gsp tilt palhares destroyed their knee and they were never the same after. Ufc knew he habitually violated the rules but still let him fight. That along with PR is too much risk.

Considering they sign a waiver and a contract to fight and accept injuries for money I doubt a lawsuit against the UFC would have much to stand on.

I'm also wondering if he's really injured anybody badly in MMA. (He didn't in ADCC, BTW - Avellan didn't tear anything.) Pierce didn't seem to be limping that badly afterwards, and I heard Drwal wasn't seriously hurt either.

Drwal was fighting like 5 months later.

If you ask any UFC fighter if they would rather take an extra shot after they are out or let Palhares crank a leg lock 2 seconds too long they would all take the extra shot. Nothing can go wrong quicker than a leg lock, especially if you have the strength, technique and low IQ of Palhares.

Except that nobody knows who is out or not, an extra shot is to make sure.

Its not like freaking crocop or rampage, who went overboard with punches, in the case of submissions you can tell when the opponent is done, because one, you can tell when a submission is on or not, (you cant tell if a punch is going to land) and the opponent is tapping out.

The thing is guys..... when you are trying to submit someone you are waiting to feel the tap to know you won. Every single one of you here knows that. Even if you chose to hold it until the ref steps in, in your mind you are primed and waiting for it to happen. Releasing the submission should be near instant.
This thank you.

Its not like freaking crocop or rampage, who went overboard with punches, in the case of submissions you can tell when the opponent is done, because one, you can tell when a submission is on or not, (you cant tell if a punch is going to land) and the opponent is tapping out.
My point was to make a point to the people trying to compare Hendo/bisping an others like it. What Paul Harris did/does is far worse and illegal.

you can have a guess wether is on or not, people are different and a lot of people tough it out, some people might tap from certain subs, some not, you are not there to try to find out who can and who cant. you do your best to stop the fight.

So was Tim Sylvia after Frank Mir broke his arm, whats your point?

Not even close comparison. Sylvia had plates put in his arm, Pierce wasnt injured at all.

yes. if it takes him one second to realize the ref is stopping the fight, then he does not have the appropriate reaction time and should not be sanctioned to fight.

don't try to act as if this is some physical condition that he has, or that he's fighting so hard for his family. it's bullshit. everyone else is fighting equally hard, and they aren't cranking on shit or being pulled off by the ref while they're applying subs. there are tens of thousands of people competing in thousands of grappling tournaments every year, and a ridiculous majority of them lets go of the sub as soon as their opponent taps. palhares has done this shit in MMA and in ADCC. it's not bad luck, or people picking on him. he's either doing it deliberately, or he trully is retarded. in both cases, he should not be fighting anyone, anywhere.

the phantom tap excuse is pretty dumb, too. it doesn't happen much at all and i can't remember a fight where someone let go after a phantom tap and actually lost. especially in the ufc where there's like 12 cameras on the fighters at all times.

and if i were you i'd drop the "babby" crap because you're making yourself look like a 14 years old idiot.

I think Palhares is just mentally a bit weird - he's really focused and has tunnel vision with the goal of winning. He just can't think clearly when fighting.

I don't understand how people can argue with the decision to cut him off. This is something that has happened many times. It's completely different than holding a choke for 2 seconds long, or punching someone on the ground after they're out (well ok, maybe with the exception of an elbow slam like in Henderson vs Bisping, though that still doesn't seem as bad as cranking an arm/leg submission for too long).

The moment your opponent taps or the ref just touches you (whichever comes first, though the argument of 'I didn't notice my opponent could be made' - still, it's a weak one, and it sort of shows you're in a very tunnel-vision like state when fighting), you should immediately let go of the sub or at least stop cranking it with any sort of force (perhaps you could keep holding it and avoid opponent escaping, but you should not crank it), and this is especially important with a non-choke submission. If it repeatedly takes you prolonged time to let go of a sub after a ref touches you, you might cause unnecessary harm to your opponents. It also shows that you're mentally a bit fucked up when fighting, and nobody can be sure whether next time you get a submission you'll just crank it really hard, not even giving your opponent a chance to tap before your break his arm/whatever.

Palhares is simply dangerous, and it's a good decision to cut him off. He might actually learn something from this, and next time he fights, maybe he'll be more careful.

Out of curiosity, hasn't only like 10 fights ended by heel hook in UFC? Ken Shammy, Scott Adams, Palahares.....I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a heel hook again for another 10 years.

The moment your opponent taps or the ref just touches you (whichever comes first, though the argument of 'I didn't notice my opponent could be made' - still, it's a weak one, and it sort of shows you're in a very tunnel-vision like state when fighting), you should immediately let go of the sub or at least stop cranking it with any sort of force (perhaps you could keep holding it and avoid opponent escaping, but you should not crank it),

where in the MMA rules did you read that info in bold?

Back