Palhares cut and banned from UFC

Banned was the word ESPN used in a tweet, but the video interview between Dana White and Olbermann says Palhares has been cut. I'm not sure if that was an on the spot decision Dana White made for professional kudos from ESPN, or if it had been planned.

I'm not entirely surprised and agree to an extent. It does mean one less submission finisher in the UFC though.

There are alot of guys who throw strikes 1 second late. UFC seems to be doing everything they can to favor strikers.

There are alot of guys who throw strikes 1 second late. UFC seems to be doing everything they can to favor strikers.

One extra strike is not going to put you out of commission for a whole year! Plus, the whole point of submissions is that you can apply them in a controlled manner. That's why they're called "submissions", because you give the guy time to "submit", i.e. tap out.

As someone who trains BJJ, I would be *extremely* pissed off if an opponent or training partner kept cranking on my knee after I tapped. I'm a big fan of Palhares's technical abilities, but I still think he got what he deserved.

on one hand it is sad because there are hardly any submissions in the ufc anymore and Palhares is one of the few who can pull off subs in the ufc. Often we have have entire cards w/o a sub, Palhares probably will either step in and lose or he will get a heel hook on the guy.

on the other hand Palhares is a dick and clearly cranked after his opponent tapped, disrespectful POS for that particularly with a heel hook.

I don't know what is fair in this situation, ufc is definitely taking a strong stance on this and I hope they don't discourage further aggressiveness on subs, especially since guys will say they didn't tap etc, also weird how they bonus guys who continue to punch their opponent after they are KTFO.

One extra strike is not going to put you out of commission for a whole year! Plus, the whole point of submissions is that you can apply them in a controlled manner. That's why they're called "submissions", because you give the guy time to "submit", i.e. tap out.

As someone who trains BJJ, I would be *extremely* pissed off if an opponent or training partner kept cranking on my knee after I tapped. I'm a big fan of Palhares's technical abilities, but I still think he got what he deserved.

I'm not sure that it's known what kind of damage an undefended strike to an unconcious or nearly opponent can do, especially in the long term.

You also can't compare training or local comps to fighting in the UFC. There's alot more at stake. I would guess that they tell you not to stop until the ref steps in to avoid phantom taps. Now if you hold it 1 second after the ref steps in you risk being cut. Why not just start banning some/all submissions?

this is not true, hell in regional tournaments, where there is ZEROOOO money to make, more like you spend money to compete, people crank stuff like hell, giving time to someone to tap, in a UFC fight, and a hh? fuck no, leglocks people scape all the time, if you give them a sec, a savvy fighter will escape, hell pierce escape the first one...

This is fucking ridiculous, and anybody agreeing with it is fucking ridiculous who wants MMA to turn into a babby sport. That is all.

also, people get confuse with this whole tapping stuff, its really a gentlemans agreement, because if the ref didnt see the tap, the fight continues, so you stop WHEN THE REF SAYS STOP, not when the guy is tapping, that is the way it should be, there are plenty cases of people phantom tapping.

It's entirely about when the ref steps in. This is a professional sport in the mainstream eye. There's no room for this stuff.

It was bullshit when Rampage did it, and when Penn did it, When Babalu and Palhares did it, the difference is that Palhares is habitual at this point, and Babalu was egregious.

Let the guy works his way back up, and show he can use some brainpower to let go when the ref touches him, then give him another shot. If he fucks up again, he should be done permanently.

It's entirely about when the ref steps in. This is a professional sport in the mainstream eye. There's no room for this stuff.

It was bullshit when Rampage did it, and when Penn did it, When Babalu and Palhares did it, the difference is that Palhares is habitual at this point, and Babalu was egregious.

Let the guy works his way back up, and show he can use some brainpower to let go when the ref touches him, then give him another shot. If he fucks up again, he should be done permanently.

Oh is a second after the ref got involved too long for babby's poor leg? Should he develop better reaction time?

Oh is a second after the ref got involved too long for babby's poor leg? Should he develop better reaction time?

Uh, yes?

Watch the fight man. The ref dives on it and he sits back to torque it more immediately before he lets go.

If his reaction time is that bad, it probably explains why he keeps getting knocked out.

also, people get confuse with this whole tapping stuff, its really a gentlemans agreement, because if the ref didnt see the tap, the fight continues, so you stop WHEN THE REF SAYS STOP, not when the guy is tapping, that is the way it should be, there are plenty cases of people phantom tapping.

:eek:
I was under the impression the Ref was there to protect the fighter and insure a fair contest, not to be the judge of when there is a defeat.

I was under the impression the Ref was there to protect the fighter and insure a fair contest, not to be the judge of when there is a defeat.

You had the wrong impression, read the rules

read the rules

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations#13

UFC said:
The referee is the sole arbiter of a contest and is the only individual authorized to stop a contest. The referee may take advice from the ringside physician and/or the Commission with respect to the decision to stop a contest.

dana should eat his words and bring him back after this video...

think he'll really do that?

also, i thought the fight was stops when the ref says so, even before he places his hands on both fighters. true or not?

Back