"only a white belt"

You know what else isn't entirely realistic? Pure BJJ. You're not worried about getting hit while you methodically work for positions and submissions! Marcelo Garcia is 0-1 in MMA.

Pure BJJ is not sport BJJ. Ask Relson Gracie.

Gi vs No Gi still interests me a great deal.

It strikes me as odd however that a street fighting debate has grown from this discussion.

Personally... i thought it was common knowledge to stay off the ground in just about most of the situations you may find yourself on the street or in the bar

I have yet to engage in any sort of altercation where i was face to face with only 1 opponent.
The ground just leaves you open to getting Rushed and kicked while you are down.

As for Clothing.. i know i do/would remove any loose clothing if i felt threatened into a situation which was only going to be solved physically..
Most people have zero to no ground fighting experience.. and if you do wish to take the fight to the ground.. just about the ONLY thing that can save them is by grasping onto your clothing and holding onto you as you take them to the ground (Takedown.) Which would otherwise be avoided if you removed your garmets.

Onto MMA... Nobody wears GI in mma now.. the disadvantages vs a No gi opponent are obvious.

As for Gi.. it is the truest form of BJJ and any interest/True Love for it.. i would assume you would train in it.. especially for the belts, and possibly the ability to teach oneday.

However, i cannot tell you how truely disgusted i am at such highly regarded BJJ players who go into mma and have Disgraceful takedowns, which leads to them getting destroyed.. because they simply cant pull guard or drag someone down with them.

Anyway.. carry on.. i dont post often so :icon_neut

Pure BJJ is not sport BJJ. Ask Relson Gracie.

Well where do you learn REAL BJJ? I train under a Renzo Gracie Black Belt and there is no striking in BJJ Class (gi or no gi). There is a Muay Thai class at my school but it's just bag and pad work. Muay Thai Sparring class is invite only & so is MMA Class (I haven't been going long enough to get invited).

I think almost all BJJ schools only teach sport BJJ? I like my Muay Thai, if you watch footage of guys who's background is mainly BJJ (Rani Yahya, early UFC Royce Gracie) their standup technique is horrible.

Uchiha, nobody wears a gi in MMA because it is considered a weapon and is illegal.

Uchiha, nobody wears a gi in MMA because it is considered a weapon and is illegal.

Is this true? I have never heard that before. I thought they stopped wearing them because it was unfair for the gi wearer, their opponent had something to hang onto while they did not. And that was a while ago, now you aren't even allowed to hang onto your opponent's shorts.

Well where do you learn REAL BJJ? I train under a Renzo Gracie Black Belt and there is no striking in BJJ Class (gi or no gi). There is a Muay Thai class at my school but it's just bag and pad work. Muay Thai Sparring class is invite only & so is MMA Class (I haven't been going long enough to get invited).

I think almost all BJJ schools only teach sport BJJ? I like my Muay Thai, if you watch footage of guys who's background is mainly BJJ (Rani Yahya, early UFC Royce Gracie) their standup technique is horrible.

Any BJJ school which shows no self defense moves is ignoring an important part of the art. Your post was referring to self defense, right?

As for MMA and those other guys, well one thing that separates BJJ from a lot of other arts is that BJJ guys try to incorporate other styles without assimilating them into some "super art." Judo theoretically has strikes, but they suck. BJJ by extension has strikes and takedowns, but they usually suck. Instead, they crosstrain in wrestling or judo to improve takedowns, or muay thai or boxing to improve strikes. At one place I trained at, basic muay thai was a critical component of "fundamental BJJ" classes. They don't call it BJJ because they acknowledge where it came from. It is like JKD. They don't try to claim everything, but it still should be expected to be learned.

Maybe, Maybe not all the NSAC (generally accepted as the standard) says about attire is:

NAC 467.7958 Proper attire for unarmed combatants. (NRS 467.030) An unarmed combatant competing in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts:

1. Must wear shorts approved by the Commission or the Commission

Is this true? I have never heard that before. I thought they stopped wearing them because it was unfair for the gi wearer, their opponent had something to hang onto while they did not. And that was a while ago, now you aren't even allowed to hang onto your opponent's shorts.

NJ State Athletic Control Board - Proposed Rules - Rules Governing Boxing, Extreme Wrestling and Sparring Exhibitions and Performance Bond Procedure

13:46-24A.9 Apparel

(a) Each contestant shall wear mixed martial arts shorts, biking shorts, or kick-boxing shorts.

(b) Gi

Many japanese fighters.. In k1 hero/Pride Etc dawned the gi
Even if only the top
I believe Akiyama just stopped wearing his.. and im not sure about fujita still wearing his

In Japan and in Korea you can get a black belt in Judo in about a year or so. That black belt means you know the basic mechanics of all the moves (or the commonly used ones). I would say that in many respects getting a black belt would be like getting a blue belt from one of the more demanding of BJJ instructors. In America it may be different but then again I think its hard to compare. In Korea and in Japan there is a lot of depth of talent. There are tons of talented people in class who can correct your form and improve your game in ways that I have never experienced in BJJ.
I can't say I don't care about belts, but I don't want to let rank (ego) get in the way of learning.

In Japan and in Korea you can get a black belt in Judo in about a year or so. That black belt means you know the basic mechanics of all the moves (or the commonly used ones). I would say that in many respects getting a black belt would be like getting a blue belt from one of the more demanding of BJJ instructors. In America it may be different but then again I think its hard to compare. In Korea and in Japan there is a lot of depth of talent. There are tons of talented people in class who can correct your form and improve your game in ways that I have never experienced in BJJ.
I can't say I don't care about belts, but I don't want to let rank (ego) get in the way of learning.

I don't let rank get in the way of learning. But it is nice to see progress and in the end I would like to add black belts in BJJ, Judo & Kru Designation in Muay Thai to my Tae Kwon Do & Shorin Ryu Black Belts.

Try training both, then you can make a real assessment of whether or not it was a wise decision to focus 100% on no-gi. You are just speculating that Gi will not help your no-gi game, when in fact the argument has been done 1000 times and even the best BJJers stress the importance of Gi for technical purposes.

I did use the gi the first few months, and then the school made it optional and almost no one wore it. Within a few months, the guys that had been taking classes a year or two longer than I did complained that they couldn't do anything to me without me wearing the gi. The gi didn't make them better dealing with the no gi grappling.

The argument has been done a 1000 times, and the proof has is now seen many thousands of times over in the cage events. The "importance of the gi for technical purposes" is only valid if the other guy is wearing a gi. What good is the technical purpose of practicing grabbing and manipulating sleeves, cuffs, collars, etc., that aren't there?

The gi is an anachronism. If you like a martial art that is anachronistic, fine, but don't require others to go through the futility of wearing and learning and paying for that anachronism when they don't want it, don't need it, and for MMA is a disadvantage.

I did use the gi the first few months, and then the school made it optional and almost no one wore it. Within a few months, the guys that had been taking classes a year or two longer than I did complained that they couldn't do anything to me without me wearing the gi.

The argument has been done a 1000 times, and the proof has is now seen many thousands of times over in the cage events. The "importance of the gi for technical purposes" is only valid if the other guy is wearing a gi. What good is the technical purpose of practicing grabbing and manipulating sleeves, cuffs, collars, etc., that aren't there?

The gi is an anachronism. If you like a martial art that is anachronistic, fine, but don't require others to go through the futility of wearing and learning and paying for that anachronism when they don't want it, don't need it, and for MMA is a disadvantage.

Yea the proof has been evidenced thousands of times in the cage events, with mundials winners such as Demian Maia, Jacare, BJ Penn, Big Nog, all who have started with the Gi. Just because your whole class stopped using it really doesn't have any significance. Also the fact that the Gi person couldn't adapt to to no-gi in 1 week isn't something that should surprise you.

So you ask what's the technical purpose of training gi? It's simple, reliance on proper technique rather than explosiveness and speed. Gi training forces a slower paced environment, you can't simply pass someones guard by using pure speed or power. Proper technique like good posture (depends on pass), good hip control, and pressure will all be necessary in order to properly execute the technique. The same applies in no-gi, but to to a smaller degree. You mentioned this argument has been done 1000 times, yet you haven't even noticed the whole purpose of Gi training?

Click here for one of the best P4P fighters take on Gi:
BJ Penn trains and talks about his martial arts roots - BJPENN.COM

Only thing that bothers me about having a white belt is that when you train with people who havent seen you before they EXPECT to beat you and they SPAZZ HARD if they cant.
This happens to me all the time, sometimes there are blues that I can beat and they get scared of losing to a white and they try to kill me. I'm not trying to die and I'll kill you before I let you kill me. Haha Judo FTW

Is it just me, or that in a country where any 12 year old can get a black belt, the typical joe-schmoe finds the white belt strange/surprising in all sorts of different ways?

I've had people who train in MAs other than BJJ (or don't train) ask "2 years and you're only a white belt?"

and about every other non-grappler that I've grappled with and subbed has pretty much asked the same question, except wihout the "2 years" and "only" in bold capital letters

anyone else have similar experiences? especially humorous ones? share em here

I think a critical question you should ask yourself is:
"Would you train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu if there were no belts?"

Is it just me, or that in a country where any 12 year old can get a black belt, the typical joe-schmoe finds the white belt strange/surprising in all sorts of different ways?

I've had people who train in MAs other than BJJ (or don't train) ask "2 years and you're only a white belt?"

and about every other non-grappler that I've grappled with and subbed has pretty much asked the same question, except wihout the "2 years" and "only" in bold capital letters

anyone else have similar experiences? especially humorous ones? share em here

your average Joe will not know the difference between a purchased black blet and black belt that is earned

Back