"only a white belt"

Ive been training at my gym for about 6 months in muay thai and bjj, and other schools for the last 3 years or so.

Im supposed to start my first day of gi grappling tommorow, because I wasnt originally interested in it but after observing it I am going to do it.

Will my time rolling in the no gi classes and previous experience come into play when elevating belts?

you will still start as a white belt, but may progress quicker... there is a lot of technical details to do with the gi that you will need to learn first

you will still start as a white belt, but may progress quicker... there is a lot of technical details to do with the gi that you will need to learn first

amen to that wearing that gi opens up a whole new world of stuff to learn. Just enjoy your time and yes I'm sure some familiarity would help you in progressing to a higher belt.

Don't worry about it. Those that have never danced will never understand.

Ive been training at my gym for about 6 months in muay thai and bjj, and other schools for the last 3 years or so.

Im supposed to start my first day of gi grappling tommorow, because I wasnt originally interested in it but after observing it I am going to do it.

Will my time rolling in the no gi classes and previous experience come into play when elevating belts?

I think that guys with experience in gi's will probably rough you up pretty good until you figure out where to grab and not to grab. There are alot of nasty wrist locks and chokes that the gi opens up.

^^^^

And your prowess on the ground for the first several years will be based on athleticism not technical skill.

^^^^

And your prowess on the ground for the first several years will be based on athleticism not technical skill.

Are you telling me that no-gi is not technical? I'm not sure about that. It's different, more dynamic (need more athletisim ?), less sub to work with for sure, there is no gi, but i dont think it's less technical. It's just another way to do grappling.

I get pretty annoyed by this too. Yeah, I'm "only a white belt", but a white belt with a year or so of training can ball up anyone who's had NO training, ie 99% of the population.

shouldnt you care about your training partners growth and improvement, not only your own? you dont wanna be the guy who rolls all out with your partner for the tap and in the end you take away form both of your training.
not trying to criticize, you may have just meant it a different way then i read.

I wasnt talking about my teammates I was talking about the outside world (friends, coworkers etc)

When I have to explain to someone BJJ rank I try to describe it as
Blue= advanced student
Purple= low level / assitant instructor
Brown= Full instuctor
Black= master

While the analogy isn't perfect, It helps give practitioners of other martial arts sense of what the belts in BJJ mean in a context they know.

I think of a blue as still being a beginner of sorts.

I think it's the emphasis that differs in each martial art. In BJJ, you get your blue belt when you have the basics down. On the other hand, in Judo, you get a black when you have the basics down.

Many arts - judo, taekwondo, some forms of karate - have the philosophy that once you attain the black belt, your training really begins. In BJJ, you're considered a master when you get your black belt.

Sorry but this is wrong. In judo you dont get a blackbelt once youve got the bascis down. It does vary alot from association to association but in general you have to be good at judo to get a blackbelt. As someone who does both bjj and judo I can tell you that in my experiance a black belt in judo is more of an acomplishment than a bluebelt in bjj.

I get pretty annoyed by this too. Yeah, I'm "only a white belt", but a white belt with a year or so of training can ball up anyone who's had NO training, ie 99% of the population.

And quite a few who got training in some TMA when they were 15 in my experience.

I had a kid come in and said he was a brown belt in Japanese JJ and I tapped him about 4 times in 5 minutes and he asked what belt I was and I told him a white belt. I think he quit.

I think sometimes it's just really hard not to care. One those days come I think about a lot about Ricksons philosophy on Jiu Jitsu as a whole. The belt at that point means very little.

You could keep a little book, on on that book perfect a move 1000 times like a standing gaurd pass. If you've estimated at the end of one given class, you've done it both successfully and properly, for that day 8 good times, that's 992 attempts left to go. This method allows me to completely forget about the belt. When you reach 1000, the next mark is 2000, for that same move......Sounds crazy, but you would be amazed where your focus shifts to...... technique technique technique

War Kron

"A belt covers two inches of your ass...it's up to you to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie

Well you have to remember, BJJ is one of the few arts where the belt actually means something.

Sorry but this is wrong. In judo you dont get a blackbelt once youve got the bascis down. It does vary alot from association to association but in general you have to be good at judo to get a blackbelt. As someone who does both bjj and judo I can tell you that in my experiance a black belt in judo is more of an acomplishment than a bluebelt in bjj.

I really didn't want to get into this argument but you are right. Getting your blackbelt in Judo is tough, much tougher than getting promoted in BJJ. In Judo you may get promoted quicker than BJJ, but at least in my Judo club getting promoted to black belt is something you definitely have to work your ass off to get. I crosstrain in both, and my goal right now is to get my Judo black belt, then I will be a happy man.

Back