"only a white belt"

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me, or that in a country where any 12 year old can get a black belt, the typical joe-schmoe finds the white belt strange/surprising in all sorts of different ways?

I've had people who train in MAs other than BJJ (or don't train) ask "2 years and you're only a white belt?"

and about every other non-grappler that I've grappled with and subbed has pretty much asked the same question, except wihout the "2 years" and "only" in bold capital letters

anyone else have similar experiences? especially humorous ones? share em here

My favorite was a guy came it to check out a class and saw that our instructor is a purple belt. The guy got up to leave and as he was walking out the door he said "I can't believe you idiots are learning from a purple belt, my son got his purple belt in Tae Kwon Do in six months maybe I should bring him in to teach you guys".

We all got a good laugh, most people I meet that are knowledgeable don't react that way. The others I don't really care about. You shouldn't either, the belt shouldn't be the goal. Improving should, just stick with it and you will always have the last laugh.

i was chatting to a guy on the plane, on the way to compete in the pan pacific championships, and he asked if i was a black belt, and when i said i was a white belt, the conversation sort of went quiet... i think he was laughing inside.

I had a kid come in and said he was a brown belt in Japanese JJ and I tapped him about 4 times in 5 minutes and he asked what belt I was and I told him a white belt. I think he quit.

The people at work make fun of me because I am still a white belt. When I got two stripes I asked them who's laughing now.

They were still laughing...

The people at work make fun of me because I am still a white belt. When I got two stripes I asked them who's laughing now.

Hahaha. At least jiu jitsu guys for the most part can take the shit. I guess it feels good knowing even as a trained white belt you could destroy and untrained grappler in less than a minute. Good thing most guys don't have much to prove or else jiu jitsu would cause a lot of fights with it's slow and steady promotion system, lol.

Hahahaha! :icon_twis

People at work have heard from others that Im a good martial artist (I used to be a blk belt and had my own school in another art) so when I tell I am a white belt they are sooooo confused. Im at the point that I dont give a FUCK what anyone else says....if u have something to say come train with me, and ya know what...I might lose! And I still wont care!

I train for ME and ME ONLY!

People at work have heard from others that Im a good martial artist (I used to be a blk belt and had my own school in another art) so when I tell I am a white belt they are sooooo confused. Im at the point that I dont give a FUCK what anyone else says....if u have something to say come train with me, and ya know what...I might lose! And I still wont care!

I train for ME and ME ONLY!

shouldnt you care about your training partners growth and improvement, not only your own? you dont wanna be the guy who rolls all out with your partner for the tap and in the end you take away form both of your training.
not trying to criticize, you may have just meant it a different way then i read.

That was funny. Story of my life too.

I've been training in sambo for a few years, but just took up BJJ (due to location), I think some people were suprised that I was a white belt.

Probably the funniest thing i have ever heard.

Belt color is lame anyway. I would honestly wear a whitebelt until i die. To ever think i am a master of anything and have nothing else to learn is arrogance.

Belt color is lame anyway. I would honestly wear a whitebelt until i die. To ever think i am a master of anything and have nothing else to learn is arrogance.

Well you're in luck, because in BJJ how much your game evolves is entirely up to you!

i sit there and take the time to explain it to people because i guess it still irks me when they're like "oh you've been doing it for years and youre not a black belt, are you like slower than other students or something?"

if someones going to take all the hard work, blood, sweat, time, energy, sacrifice that you pour into the mat and compare it to some pansy ass 15 yr old at the strip mall who did a couple forms and ran up and down a room for a yr pretty much taking dance lessons, then yeah take 3-5 minutes to set them straight.

I'm actually kind of a fan of being a white belt. I know I am learning and am enjoying the journey. I'm not even sure what I am going to do when I get a stripe. I trained exclusively in Muay Thai before doing bjj and the only belt you wore was the belt you get from winning.

I think it's the emphasis that differs in each martial art. In BJJ, you get your blue belt when you have the basics down. On the other hand, in Judo, you get a black when you have the basics down.

Many arts - judo, taekwondo, some forms of karate - have the philosophy that once you attain the black belt, your training really begins. In BJJ, you're considered a master when you get your black belt.

Ive been training at my gym for about 6 months in muay thai and bjj, and other schools for the last 3 years or so.

Im supposed to start my first day of gi grappling tommorow, because I wasnt originally interested in it but after observing it I am going to do it.

Will my time rolling in the no gi classes and previous experience come into play when elevating belts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back