Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by PurpleStorm, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mmmmmmma1234

Mmmmmmma1234 Brown Belt

For her own mental health I hope she never fights again.

Rizz, Eater of Souls and PurpleStorm like this.
  2. leto1776

leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

Laura Huizar defeated Dulce Hernández by 1st rd TKO at Combate 30. Atomweight fight.

3. thatdude21601

thatdude21601 Bananarama Belt

That was gnarly.

4. Eater of Souls

Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

That really fucking hurts.

5. Mittens

Mittens Blue Belt

Blimey, I just realized that the Zhang vs. Torres is in like 3 weeks! That's the one upcoming fight I think I am expecting most. Always liked Torres (yes, yes, pointfighting) and who doesn't absolutely love Zhang? :) Should be fun!

She seems much happier in show wrestling than she did as a fighter, really enjoying herself out there. And like Baszler, she seems to be a good fit - not as instantly working as Shayna's style, but with her (non-USADA) current shape & athletic ability plus obvious knack of learning fast.... Though, now it seems like the hawt irish lass might end up being the one the audience is gonna cheer for, even though Ronda is supposed to be the good guy. Hopefully her ego can take it.

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  6. Eater of Souls

Yeah, Torres does not hit hard but she always puts on good fights. And, of course, Zhang because Zhang. Looking forward to this, as Torres is quite a step up in competition. It would be beyond hilarious if Torres finished Zhang.

7. Kaybee

Kaybee C’est La Vie

Baecky Lynch was always destined to be the WWE Diva GOAT. RRR better recognize!

Eater of Souls and Mittens like this.
  8. Mittens

Mittens Blue Belt

I know. It's also a somewhat difficult spot for Torres - everyone expects Zhang to continue her winning ways and I think she really has the potential to deliver. So hat's off for Tecia for "risking" a potential 4th loss in a row (and meaningless idiots ranting "cut her! 4 losses!" that way ->) instead of going to the bottom of 115 lbs barrel for an easier rebound.

I know! I actually can claim some hipster cred on Becky, having first seen her way back in european indie circuit as Rebecca Knox, before her injury and the very long time-off. :D

9. Mittens

Mittens Blue Belt

I liked De La Rosa's grapplingstuff (the only thing happening in the fight :D ). Once things hit the ground, she never took her foot off the gas in either round, before finally getting the armbar. Well done, bjpennodding.gif etc.

Nice to see she got the POTN bonus too :)

10. Xuh

Xuh Black Belt

I'm surprised they did that after she just told everyone she wanted to be more active to escape the TUF slave contract ASAP... I'm sure Dana's brow furrowed a bit at that moment...

11. Mittens

Mittens Blue Belt

Then again, three submissions in as many fights - I think those with less red-faced ego than Dana can see her potential and "Here's 50K, now shut it!"

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  12. Mmmmmmma1234

Mmmmmmma1234 Brown Belt

Dana probably didn't mind that a fighter asking to fight more and finish their cheep deal, there's soo many like Colby saying "my contract sucks I'm not fighting until I get a new one." I'd think it's refreshing she isnt demanding more pay based on results before it ends.

Montana has been good since getting upset on TUF nice she got the 50k.

13. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

I don't begrudge Montana a penny of that bonus, but really it was the easiest $50k she'll ever earn. A competent mid level American wrestler against a girl who'd never had an honest fight in her life - even the Chambers matchup was pretty iffy given the weight difference.

14. Xuh

Xuh Black Belt

Maybe you're on to something, it looks like Dana is happy enough to grant her her wish of an easy(ish) profile raiser (I'd call it a money fight, but well... you know):

15. Eater of Souls

Finally saw the De La Rosa / Kassem fight. Wonderful grappling from Montana.

Kassem showed a good bottom game (yeah, I said it) but seems to only possess the traditional BJJ skills of working off of your back. More work on escapes and getting back to her feet would do her some good. This was made even more difficult by Montana's top control. She also showed a lot of poise, heart and flexibility fighting off the first arm bar. In the previous generation of BJJ schools, they often practiced judo as well (both of my brothers-in-law studied judo, not bjj as even then judo was a bit more common at the time (they are both a little older than me). Now it seems like judo practice is slightly less common in some areas, and wrestling even less so in many countries (mostly at the sports academies in the major cites) and this may not be a healthy trend for MMA. Particularly given how the rules for tournament BJJ are getting more and more specialized. (sort of like the idiots at the IJF banning double and single legs, ankle picks, etc. Fucking dumb).

De La Rosa: Good take downs - only two, but different and all she needed because once she got the fight to the ground she never let it go anywhere else. Constant pressure and phenomenal pace. Her attempts at guard passing were methodical and effective, including neatly splitting Kassem's guard while moving to half guard, then side control. She left very little room for error. When Montana shifted position, she often controlled a limb with her knee or shin, which also brings the pain on top of every other issue. While changing position she frequently threw a strike or two which limited Kassem's ability to react to everything at once. And when she finally achieved a mounted triangle it was the beginning of the end. She never lost control of Kassem's head, and after Kassem fought off one arm bar attempt, Montana rolled with Nadia and then wound up going belly-down.

Great work. She definitely needs to work on her striking as she moves up the ranks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  16. Eater of Souls

Watched it again. Other things I liked.

At nearly the end of round one, Montana executed a nice transition to a kimura attempt. Also, she was able to land strikes without posturing up so far that she wound up sacrificing position. Sure, a more vertical posture allows for more power, but Montana clearly had a good game plan and stuck to it. Also she showed good awareness and listened to her corner.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  17. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

It has to be asked how much of her improved shape is due to not being in the USADA testing pool anymore., She was in great shape till the Holm fight, then she didnt get tested for 8 months and came back in great shape, now shes out of the pool again..

18. Mittens

Mittens Blue Belt

Am I reading you wrong @-Dim- or is your tone about post-USADA Ronda judgemental? I mean, we should all safely assume that she's on everything WWE lets go by their more or less forced "wellness program", but there also is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What next, accusing Christian Bale for not being in the USADA pool for batman filems?

Hm. Now I feel the urge to make a weight cutting joke about Bale to follow that one.

[​IMG]

Anyway... digressing :D Sorry if I took your comment the wrong way.

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  19. Eater of Souls

You did not. He loves to make accusations and unsupported assertions. Like all self-styled authorities with no education and training in a particular field, he knows just enough to spout some spectacularly stupid shit. I think my favorite was when he said you would have to smoke pot withing 48 hours of testing to pop for THC, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

20. aerius

aerius Black Belt

I'm not entirely sure what I learned from the Montana vs. Nadia fight, to me at least it didn't really answer any questions. Montana showed good control and patience in the ground game but it was against a visibly smaller & less physical opponent who was rather outmatched. If Cyborg's fights have taught us anything it's that appearing composed & technical is easy when the opponents don't pose a threat, doing so against someone who puts up a fight is a whole 'nother story.

IMO, Kassem was a sizable step down in competition from Ostovich, she's smaller, less athletic, and her standup was very questionable. Montana squashed her as she should, but I just don't feel like I have a better idea of where she stands now than I did before the fight.

Ah well, on to next week, Albu's fight should be comically hilarious as usual. Not exactly expecting much technique, just tons of wild high paced action.