Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure what I learned from the Montana vs. Nadia fight, to me at least it didn't really answer any questions. Montana showed good control and patience in the ground game but it was against a visibly smaller & less physical opponent who was rather outmatched. If Cyborg's fights have taught us anything it's that appearing composed & technical is easy when the opponents don't pose a threat, doing so against someone who puts up a fight is a whole 'nother story.

IMO, Kassem was a sizable step down in competition from Ostovich, she's smaller, less athletic, and her standup was very questionable. Montana squashed her as she should, but I just don't feel like I have a better idea of where she stands now than I did before the fight.

Ah well, on to next week, Albu's fight should be comically hilarious as usual. Not exactly expecting much technique, just tons of wild high paced action.

Yeah, judging from Albu's instagram, she spends more time on her S&C work than her skill work. While the results are impressive, her emphasis should shift sooner or later.

Kassem is a regional can-crusher. Her opponents before UFC were 0-0, 0-0, 0-4, and 0-0. Her first UFC opponent was 5-3 Alex Chambers.

First time seeing Montana De la Rosa fight and she has some decent pressure and grappling.

Yeah, judging from Albu's instagram, she spends more time on her S&C work than her skill work. While the results are impressive, her emphasis should shift sooner or later.

Having never seen her instagram before, I just took a look it at for the first time and it's a goldmine of hilarity.
It's approaching Tony Ferguson levels of WTF am I watching?

Having never seen her instagram before, I just took a look it at for the first time and it's a goldmine of hilarity.
It's approaching Tony Ferguson levels of WTF am I watching?

I have not checked his out. I return to hers from time to time for, uh, research purposes.

Interested in how Nadia Kassem looks after her injured back & mental illness (which she's discussing publicly - bravo). De La Rosa has a fine wrestling pedigree. She's chill. She's the favorite. Remember Nicco beating her up on TUF via strong clinch & TDD. Kassem's an aggressive striker, don't recall her clinch work, TDD & ground work not so good. Megan Anderson said it could be fight of the night. Hope so.

Megan Anderson is an idiot whose analysis is garbage, and that laughable statement proves it.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in the gambling subforum was betting huge amounts on Montana de la Rosa in that fight despite her being a large favorite at -250, myself included. It was an absolutely silly mismatch on every level.

Kassem is a regional can-crusher. Her opponents before UFC were 0-0, 0-0, 0-4, and 0-0. Her first UFC opponent was 5-3 Alex Chambers.

First time seeing Montana De la Rosa fight and she has some decent pressure and grappling.

She's OK (DLR) but you have to remember she was fighting probably the worst girl on the roster (Well, Chambers is still on the roster I guess... sorry Alex I tried for so long but I can't cover for you anymore, mixed blessing is I probably won't have to for much longer). To see her pressure/grappling vs a substantially higher level of competition, you could watch her match vs Cynthia Calvillo on youtube.
Incidentally I watched some of De La Rosa's wrestling matches leading up to this (4 of them) and she got pinned in them all, I also watched her in a no-gi grappling tournament even there nearly all of her TDs got stuffed or even reversed (though she did at least make the final). Granted this was about 4-5 years ago.
That said she is young and has space to improve, which she seems to be doing, so in a couple of years she could be a really solid contender.

Maybe you could say the same about Kassem who is the same age, but she has the disadvantage of training at probably the worst team represented in the UFC ('Straya Top Team), as well as being... 'somewhat' neurotic, eg in the last 12 months she had depression and significant weight loss, stuff like that is going to make her path more challenging.
As for her pre UFC opponents... you can check it out basically she fights someone who (I'm speculating here but...) looks like they may have some substance issues, probably desperate for the money, drops down and starts crying as soon as they get hit. The dark side of combat sports...
This is how 'Straya Top Team pads their fighters records to get in the UFC... so far they are 1-6 UFC with the 1 being Kassem vs Chambers.

Watched it again. Other things I liked.

At nearly the end of round one, Montana executed a nice transition to a kimura attempt. Also, she was able to land strikes without posturing up so far that she wound up sacrificing position. Sure, a more vertical posture allows for more power, but Montana clearly had a good game plan and stuck to it. Also she showed good awareness and listened to her corner.

Yeah when Montana was in full guard her corner said 'keep the posture down' & 'get a knee in'. She immediately did so. Nadia has to work on closing the distance while striking, TDD & scrambling to get back up. Look forward to De La Rosa's next fight. With 3 fights & 3 submissions she should get a better opponent. Appreciate your breakdown. It's preferred over after-the-fact soothsayers. :)

I am wondering how many Women's fights at UFC have collected Fight/Performance of the
night bonuses.

Am I reading you wrong @-Dim- or is your tone about post-USADA Ronda judgemental? I mean, we should all safely assume that she's on everything WWE lets go by their more or less forced "wellness program", but there also is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What next, accusing Christian Bale for not being in the USADA pool for batman filems?.

Well no, you are correct. Shes not in the USADA testing pool and its totally up to her what she puts in her body as long as it is in line with the WWE's welness program (which allows all sorts of tue's, has thresholds on substances, and lets you use things if they are for injury recovery etc).

So she can do what the hell she likes and its nobody's business except hers.

But, I do think its fair to ask if her physical decline in the lead up to the Holly Holm fight onwards, her sudden physical re-transformation during 2016 when she vanished from the testing pool for the best part of 8 months and co-incidentally returned bang on three months to the date before the Nunes fight (3 month rtp being the rule then) looking ripped as hell, but then declined over the following three months again, and then her current physical re-transformation since leaving the testing pool, are somehow related...

#UFC234
ykmbZIr.jpg

I am wondering how many Women's fights at UFC have collected Fight/Performance of the
night bonuses.

As well as the 18 fotns already mentioned, I have 35 performance bonuses. De La Rosa was the 43rd woman to get a bonus with Ronda still leading the pack with 7. Don't shoot me if I've missed one.

Maybe you could say the same about Kassem who is the same age, but she has the disadvantage of training at probably the worst team represented in the UFC ('Straya Top Team), as well as being... 'somewhat' neurotic, eg in the last 12 months she had depression and significant weight loss, stuff like that is going to make her path more challenging.
As for her pre UFC opponents... you can check it out basically she fights someone who (I'm speculating here but...) looks like they may have some substance issues, probably desperate for the money, drops down and starts crying as soon as they get hit. The dark side of combat sports...
This is how 'Straya Top Team pads their fighters records to get in the UFC... so far they are 1-6 UFC with the 1 being Kassem vs Chambers.

Heh, didn't realize Straya Top Team did that. Ingenious strategy, since it seems to work.

As for DLR, I can't hate on her too much for how much money she made me yesterday, but as I wrote in another topic;

"DLR is a mediocre female fighter who faced literally the single worst fighter on the entire UFC roster yesterday. Her other wins were against Ostovich and Marks, two fighters with losing records who were/are among the very worst fighters on the entire UFC roster.

Oh, and the fight against Ostovich was fairly close and competitive until Ostovich simply gave up in the 3rd round, as she always does."

To be fair, I also noted that de la Rosa had improved her striking based on the brief stand-up exchanges we saw yesterday. And at 23, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement.

However, right now she gets beaten by anyone decent. Dern and Calvillo absolutely DESTROYED her about 2 years ago, Nicco freaking Montano dominated her 1.5 years ago, and while DLR has improved since then, so have Dern, Calvillo, and most other female fighters.

Was going through the Phoenix Championship channel on youtube when I found this one.

I think Gwendoline could be a decent prospect with some time and the right training, which she seems to be getting. Still pretty raw since that was her debut fight, but showed a surprising amount of patience & composure. She did a lot of things right, she defended and stripped off grips to deny takedowns, and knew how to use use an underhook to leverage her opponent and escape off the fence on that side. There's stiil far too WMMA fighters who don't know how to use hooks & leverage to get off the fence when an opponent is holding them there. She appears to be based out of Dubai so I'm not sure where she goes from here if she decides to pursue a career in MMA.

USADA might be a bit of a problem for her though...

Also, nunchucks.

7-1 Istela Nunes vs 4-0 Hannah Goldy on the next Titan FC card (March 15th).

Well no, you are correct. Shes not in the USADA testing pool and its totally up to her what she puts in her body as long as it is in line with the WWE's welness program (which allows all sorts of tue's, has thresholds on substances, and lets you use things if they are for injury recovery etc).

So she can do what the hell she likes and its nobody's business except hers.

But, I do think its fair to ask if her physical decline in the lead up to the Holly Holm fight onwards, her sudden physical re-transformation during 2016 when she vanished from the testing pool for the best part of 8 months and co-incidentally returned bang on three months to the date before the Nunes fight (3 month rtp being the rule then) looking ripped as hell, but then declined over the following three months again, and then her current physical re-transformation since leaving the testing pool, are somehow related...
Ronda was juicing,before USADA just like most of roster. Rules are rules and she is not obligated to be part of USADA testing, just like Rumble for example...

Four women's fights, the "heavies" are going to need a helpline, or maybe they'll be too obsessed with Albu's arse to notice the rest of the card. Who we got anyway?
I am leaning towards Calvillo. Casey is going to be the biggest (and most dangerous) opponent that Calvillo has fought, but I think Carla was a much more difficult style match up. Casey has been outwrestled by Waterson and Claudia, and has shown no improvement in that area either. Outside an early blitz, I don’t see any reason to think Calvillo can’t do the same.

With Lee/Evans-Smith.. I think I have to go with Lee. Ashley’s wrestling shines through in her top control, but I’ve never been impressed by her takedowns. Lee should be able to stop them, and if she keeps it upright, should be able to outstrike Evans-Smith.

Penne/Esquibel is gonna be fun because neither lady will be dramatically outsized for once. In her prime Penne would’ve murked Esquibel.. so I’ll go Penne.

Albu/Whitmire is almost certainly going to be a frantic mess. I’m gonna go Whitmire sub as Albu makes horrific decisions during her fights. Although, Albu is a physical monster, and could use that to take it to a decision.

Hopefully it will cause the posters in the heavies to choke on their own bile. I expect the death rate to peak during Penne/Esquibel.

I got Calvillo, KGB, Penne, Whitmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.