Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roxy doesn't have maybe the most aesthetically-pleasing fighting style, but she's a vet and has developed a pretty brutal ground game.

Big Shev hasn't proven anything yet; she could very well make waves eventually but she shouldn't be the favorite here at all

Seems like most who actually follow WMMA (all 12 or 13 of us) seem to agree.

Fine wine, I'll have you know!

Thunderbird.gif

Sort of figured you for the Cardbourdeau sort of guy.

b6c67-dscn0246.jpg

Just a quick offtopic update on our favourite horsefac... i mean horsewomen. Watched the latest episode of NXT and the only thing I can say is that Jessamyn Duke managed to even warm up implausibly and stand around embarassingly. If they did not have the correct friends, Duke and Shafir should have no place whatsoever on the show.

Luckily Shayna was solid as always and their opponents included the two utterly lovely and suberbly skilled Nipponese ladies.

1902b73c351675eea7e4f12b39371ff86131f5aer1-1436-1925v2_hq.jpg

<3

I gave this matchup a quick analysis and I think this is a steep step up in competition for Antonina. There is a huge difference between Roxy and some of the other names on her record. If Antonina was more physical or athletic I would easily pick her to win because that is what Roxy struggles against but I am not sure if I like this fight for Antonina at this point. There will be some point during this fight where Roxy gets it to the ground. I am not sure how long Antonina can survive when that happens. The hard part is that she might be young in her MMA career but she is old in fight age. So I guess it's now or never. I just think there are better matchups in the division for her.

While Antonina hasn't fought anyone like Roxy in her career, she's not going to be completely lost since Valentina can actually be a decent stand-in for Roxy in their training sessions. Valentina is a pretty respectable grappler who's far more athletic than Roxy, and we also need to remember that both sisters have trained with Rose who's another dangerous grappler. Going the other way, Roxy doesn't have anyone I know of who can do a decent job of playing the part of Antonina in training, going up against someone with that kind of footwork and distance control is seriously not fun if you've never done it before.

I think the fight will be broadly similar to Holm vs. Tate, with the potential to be even less entertaining. Antonina will likely be in full keep-away mode and abusing her jab & footwork to stay on the outside while taking potshots at Roxy. Modafferi gets stuck on the outside getting slowly outpointed and taking poor takedown entries, but if she does get a takedown I think she'll need to grab an arm fast and crank it before Antonina goes full defensive and tries to stall things out. Unlike many other WMMA fighters, Antonina doesn't panic and do stupid shit that puts them in worse positions, she has a habit of leaving an arm out at times but she's not diving after low percentage subs, throwing herself out of position, or getting into wild scrambles. Which means Roxy will need to work on the ground, she's unlikely to get free gifts like she has in many of her fights.

Boring point fight on the feet, most likely a stalling ground game if/when it gets there, and a chance for an armbar. Probably 50/50, assuming that Roxy has continued to improve now that she finally has proper structured training.

Just a quick offtopic update on our favourite horsefac... i mean horsewomen. Watched the latest episode of NXT and the only thing I can say is that Jessamyn Duke managed to even warm up implausibly and stand around embarassingly. If they did not have the correct friends, Duke and Shafir should have no place whatsoever on the show.

Luckily Shayna was solid as always and their opponents included the two utterly lovely and suberbly skilled Nipponese ladies.

<3
Shayna is taylor made for prowrestling.
She convinced Ronda to do It and, due to her fame and career, did it quite good.
Shafir and Duke... Well... They do quite well at their job as Ronda's friends.

<3
Oh shit.... its that pirate chick! I watched the Royal Rumble, first time I've seen her. Awesome.

If we may actually get back to MMA for a minute Sijara Eubanks took on a brand new
job at Allstar MMA where she'll be teaching & director of operations joining several
fighters who are either gym owners or working in coaching/management type roles.

If we may actually get back to MMA for a minute Sijara Eubanks took on a brand new
job at Allstar MMA where she'll be teaching & director of operations joining several
fighters who are either gym owners or working in coaching/management type roles.

That is a heavy responsibility, I think. Hopefully she can handle the weight of it.

*is hit by a shoe*

So Eubanks, Runs that division of operations.
<{Heymansnicker}>

Sheeeeit. Legally-blind Roxy gonna go Daredevil on dat azz. I'm using my unreliable memory to look back to when she was avoiding KGB's strikes like she had that shit memorized. I'll be expecting Roxy to derail the Shev2 hype train before it even gets up to speed (while making room for the Modaferri war wagon.)

It's just funny seeing people saying this matchup is 'cruel', 'ouch', 'rip roxy' when any educated watcher should fathom there is a very good chance Roxy will be the one doing the destroying, with her elbows, on the mat. That's the way MMA works.

The power that 'good striking'/'bad striking' has on people's perception of an mma fighter as a whole has always kinda fascinated me.

I used to think it was just a KO artist thing where guys like Belfort, Arlovski would KO scrubs with style in 1 round and people would be all over their nuts for the rest of their career wondering what was wrong when they couldn't repeat such performances consistently against top fighters.

But now even we have all these people calling points-fight Val a 'killer', & it's even assumed of her sister just based on her surname I guess. While Rox is the 'worst fighter ever' based on... ?

Anyway, judging by the sheeple's initial reaction, Roxy will be a decent underdog and I will make some nice money betting on her, and buy a bottle of the finest French wine with the proceeds to dedicate to her success (heck I might buy two and keep one in the cellar for that special someone... if you're reading this, Rox).

I agree, it's safe to say it's standup mismatch and grappling mismatch, but defy Roxy has more chances to finish this fight.

Interested in how Nadia Kassem looks after her injured back & mental illness (which she's discussing publicly - bravo). De La Rosa has a fine wrestling pedigree. She's chill. She's the favorite. Remember Nicco beating her up on TUF via strong clinch & TDD. Kassem's an aggressive striker, don't recall her clinch work, TDD & ground work not so good. Megan Anderson said it could be fight of the night. Hope so.

Interested in how Nadia Kassem looks after her injured back & mental illness (which she's discussing publicly - bravo). De La Rosa has a fine wrestling pedigree. She's chill. She's the favorite. Remember Nicco beating her up on TUF via strong clinch & TDD. Kassem's an aggressive striker, don't recall her clinch work, TDD & ground work not so good. Megan Anderson said it could be fight of the night. Hope so.
Kassem seems to always do well with the media, and she’s not a bad looking girl. For an Australian can crusher, I was surprised with her cardio, which should be better at 125, as well as her toughness.

Watching the Chambers fight, she definitely looked rather uncomfortable in the clinch, but she was having issues with her sports bra at times, and on the ground she goes nuts looking for subs. Personally, I think she’s in over her head, but it’s not exactly a secret what Montana is going to try and do, so we shall see.

Grace Cleveland (3-0) returns to KOTC from a 2 year layoff due to neck injury. She’ll be taking on Shawna Ormsby (1-0).

<3

I got to watch Sane and IO face Jessamyn and Marina live in Phoenix and it was a fun match. My hope was they would be involved in the tag team elimination chamber title match (beat tag team in the WWE imho) but looking like Shayna may drop the title to Io before her call up - most likely around Mania to start the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen feud

I got to watch Sane and IO face Jessamyn and Marina live in Phoenix and it was a fun match. My hope was they would be involved in the tag team elimination chamber title match (beat tag team in the WWE imho) but looking like Shayna may drop the title to Io before her call up - most likely around Mania to start the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen feud

Saw a recent clip of Rowdy Ronda in a 'beef' in the ring with a popular wrestler. She looked in good shape. Started thinking 'come back to mma' but it's probably a moot point 'cause she doesn't want to & I don't blame her.

Saw a recent clip of Rowdy Ronda in a 'beef' in the ring with a popular wrestler. She looked in good shape. Started thinking 'come back to mma' but it's probably a moot point 'cause she doesn't want to & I don't blame her.
She ain’t bout that life.

Status
Not open for further replies.