Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a few sources suggesting UFC is trying to put together Antonina vs Modafferi on the next Russia card.

Roxy should win if she can get it to the ground. On the feet, well, not so much.
I gave this matchup a quick analysis and I think this is a steep step up in competition for Antonina. There is a huge difference between Roxy and some of the other names on her record. If Antonina was more physical or athletic I would easily pick her to win because that is what Roxy struggles against but I am not sure if I like this fight for Antonina at this point. There will be some point during this fight where Roxy gets it to the ground. I am not sure how long Antonina can survive when that happens. The hard part is that she might be young in her MMA career but she is old in fight age. So I guess it's now or never. I just think there are better matchups in the division for her.

I gave this matchup a quick analysis and I think this is a steep step up in competition for Antonina. There is a huge difference between Roxy and some of the other names on her record. If Antonina was more physical or athletic I would easily pick her to win because that is what Roxy struggles against but I am not sure if I like this fight for Antonina at this point. There will be some point during this fight where Roxy gets it to the ground. I am not sure how long Antonina can survive when that happens. The hard part is that she might be young in her MMA career but she is old in fight age. So I guess it's now or never. I just think there are better matchups in the division for her.

Agree on all points.

Here's some recent Amateur MMA action.

Michigan native Meaghan Penning is now 3-0 as an amateur after defeating Lindsay Wilson at the very last second of the first round by TKO for KOTC. Penning has signed a long term deal with KOTC and the promotion seems to be getting behind her. I expect Penning to fight again this upcoming April when KOTC is in Michigan. It won't be long before she goes pro.

Michigan native Elevation Fight Team trained 'Grizzly' Claire Guthrie (7-1) defeats Josee 'Crusher' Storts (3-1) by Split Decision in a very closely contested fight. Both Guthrie and Storts have stated they plan to go pro after this fight. Guthrie walked away with the Walkout FC Flyweight Title. This was her first fight down at Flyweight after spending her whole career between 135-155. I could see both of these women in Invicta in the next year.

Ouch, that almost shouldn't be legal <45>

Come on, elder Shev only has one finish in MMA against a can in DWTCS. I don't know why ppl keep hyping up Shev sisters as fearful finishers.

Roxy is a decent grappler by WFLW standard, this will be a good test for elder Shev.

Come on, elder Shev only has one finish in MMA against a can in DWTCS. I don't know why ppl keep hyping up Shev sisters as fearful finishers.

Roxy is a decent grappler by WFLW standard, this will be a good test for elder Shev.

I never hyped Antonina's finishing ability, just the discrepancy in striking in this fight will be hilariously massive.

I never hyped Antonina's finishing ability, just the discrepancy in striking in this fight will be hilariously massive.
Roxy's fights are always hilarious, she has some problems with eyes, can't see corectly. MMA is wonderfull sport, where someone with almost zero standup talent can face someone with 100 standup fights in career. On other hand you got Shevchenko who isn't really grappler and both of her oponnents were short notice (both Dana's show, her oponnent was fighting two weeks earlier lol and 2nd was shrot notice plus jetlag...) gonna face Roxy who is decent grappler...

It's just funny seeing people saying this matchup is 'cruel', 'ouch', 'rip roxy' when any educated watcher should fathom there is a very good chance Roxy will be the one doing the destroying, with her elbows, on the mat. That's the way MMA works.

The power that 'good striking'/'bad striking' has on people's perception of an mma fighter as a whole has always kinda fascinated me.

I used to think it was just a KO artist thing where guys like Belfort, Arlovski would KO scrubs with style in 1 round and people would be all over their nuts for the rest of their career wondering what was wrong when they couldn't repeat such performances consistently against top fighters.

But now even we have all these people calling points-fight Val a 'killer', & it's even assumed of her sister just based on her surname I guess. While Rox is the 'worst fighter ever' based on... ?

Anyway, judging by the sheeple's initial reaction, Roxy will be a decent underdog and I will make some nice money betting on her, and buy a bottle of the finest French wine with the proceeds to dedicate to her success (heck I might buy two and keep one in the cellar for that special someone... if you're reading this, Rox).

It's just funny seeing people saying this matchup is 'cruel', 'ouch', 'rip roxy' when any educated watcher should fathom there is a very good chance Roxy will be the one doing the destroying, with her elbows, on the mat. That's the way MMA works.

The power that 'good striking'/'bad striking' has on people's perception of an mma fighter as a whole has always kinda fascinated me.

I used to think it was just a KO artist thing where guys like Belfort, Arlovski would KO scrubs with style in 1 round and people would be all over their nuts for the rest of their career wondering what was wrong when they couldn't repeat such performances consistently against top fighters.

But now even we have all these people calling points-fight Val a 'killer', & it's even assumed of her sister just based on her surname I guess. While Rox is the 'worst fighter ever' based on... ?

Anyway, judging by the sheeple's initial reaction, Roxy will be a decent underdog and I will make some nice money betting on her, and buy a bottle of the finest French wine with the proceeds to dedicate to her success (heck I might buy two and keep one in the cellar for that special someone... if you're reading this, Rox).

You are trying to use wine to lure Roxy down to your basement?

:)

You are trying to use wine to lure Roxy down to your basement?

:)

Fine wine, I'll have you know!

Thunderbird.gif

Roxy doesn't have maybe the most aesthetically-pleasing fighting style, but she's a vet and has developed a pretty brutal ground game.

Big Shev hasn't proven anything yet; she could very well make waves eventually but she shouldn't be the favorite here at all

Oo, interesting fight. Naturally in team Roxy as usual, but indeed interesting to see how it plays out and where, and how big a deal the MMA experience factor will end up being.

Roxy's fights are always hilarious, she has some problems with eyes, can't see corectly. MMA is wonderfull sport, where someone with almost zero standup talent can face someone with 100 standup fights in career. On other hand you got Shevchenko who isn't really grappler and both of her oponnents were short notice (both Dana's show, her oponnent was fighting two weeks earlier lol and 2nd was shrot notice plus jetlag...) gonna face Roxy who is decent grappler...

Granted Roxanne Modafferi is all but blind she still has a reasonable career for someone
who didn't have a athletic background unless her background in a few martial arts is counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.