1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by PurpleStorm, Jan 1, 2019.

1. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Green Belt

Happy new year everyone.

Figured it's a good time to start a new thread.

Will someone please sticky it?

Thanks.

2. executionermma

executionermma Red Belt

@ WMMA lol​

<OKC16>

happy new year y'all
    [​IMG]

2019 wishes:
    • watching Queen Lipski dethroning point fighter Shevchenko in violent fashion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Andrade hulk smashing Rose "Not So Thug" Namajunas
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    • Ketlen Vieira shocking the world submitting Nunes after an awesome display of high lv grappling (judo, wrestling and BJJ) very well mixed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  3. JarlSkuld

JarlSkuld Brown Belt

Greetings and Happy New Year everyone (I'm back from vacation).

I like that Shinju posted a pic of her eye welded shut; she ate some elbows in that fight. (And, I gained some respect for her)

Hamasaki's experience and well-roundedness were very evident. But, I still think Asakura is Japan's best prospect.

A-hah! I told you Nunes would melt Cyborg! My prediction would have more impressive if I had also picked Anderson by toenail-to-eyelid (but neither I nor Cat saw that one coming).

Nunes...takes some time off and waits for the winner of Holm-Ladd. Holm is the only champion left for Nunes to kill. I know rushing Ladd into a title fight isn't the most popular idea...but if Aspen takes Holly down and pounds her out, what other "challenges" will she require before a title match?

Zingano...tries one more "comeback" fight...maybe fights 1-2 more times and retires. Her heart just isn't in it anymore.

Cyborg...fights Anderson and probably crushes her. UFC does not renew her contract. Both Cyborg and Anderson go to Bellator (if Cyborg doesn't retire). Nunes keeps the last UFC 145 belt. UFC gets someone like Heather Hardy in the exchange.

Jarl

4. Eater of Souls

Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

Viera vs. Nunes. Holm does not deserve another title shot, and her only chance is to stall her way to victory.

Tobago Jones likes this.
  5. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Green Belt

@executionermma yeah, I wanna see Lipski do really well too. She's an exciting fighter.

Vieira should get the shot v Nunes. Wish they'd go with who is most deserving over popularity.

Ooh, something else I'd enjoy in 2019: return of Nicco Montano.

6. Felis

Felis Brown Belt

If Nunes does go back to 135 next, I'm very much in favor of a Vieira titleshot too :)

Still nonsticky... Let's try a mod-signal!
    @Jackonfire
    @jei

Eater of Souls and PurpleStorm like this.
  7. GBJohn

GBJohn Blue Belt

I’m very excited to watch Lipski in the UFC, but I think it’s a bit premature to predict her beating Shevchenko, much less by knockout. The woman who just obliterated Cyborg couldn’t knock her out in 40 minutes of cage time, or even visibly hurt her, really, so that’s a hell of an ask for a debutante.

Cheapshart, Juchi, qw3rty and 2 others like this.
  8. teddy078

teddy078 Yellow Belt

If Lipski still has KO power under USADA and improves her footwork, she could become flyweight version of Nunes.

I feel sorry for Vieira, she deserves a titleshot. UFC just doesn't give a shit abut her because she won't sell ppv. This is why Nunes pulled out from 213 rather than risking losing her title. I think Viera will need another winning streak to get a titleshot.

If Vieira somehow gets a titleshot this year, I don't think she has a pathway to victory against Nunes with her current skillset. Even Cat Zingano can tag her a few times on feet, she would be like a walking punching bag against Nunes.

My biggest expectation of 2019: The return of Julianna Pena.

Pena is one of the most physically gifted female fighters, I hope she realizes that she needs to improve her skillset after the loss to Shev. Pena vs Ladd would be a good fight to test if Ladd is a elite grappler.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    julmma and Eater of Souls like this.
  9. Eater of Souls

Why would anyone suggest Lipski could manage this? Her skills are nowhere near as sharp. Sure, she throws hard and fast but her footwork, timing, control of distance and technique in general are not top-tier. Yet. She looks great against lower-level competition, but a lot of people do.

She needs more time and practice. She does bode well for the future of the division.

10. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

She actually has a great opponent to exploit some striking improvement, if she made some.

Eater of Souls likes this.
  11. Eater of Souls

Well, yes. JoJo has great step knees, but that is really about it. She knows the basics, but her footwork is slow and plodding and she starts slow as hell. I like her, but she is just not very athletic. So Lipski may win based on superior athleticism, This is why Calvillo was able to hold her own on the feet against JoJo.

12. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Green Belt

Yeah, hopefully a mod will sticky this soon.

I'd love to see Nunes defend both her belts this year. She said she feels really good at 145 so we'll see if she wants another fight there. I'd prefer she next fight someone other than Cyborg.

13. Eater of Souls

Hopefully Nunes will get another fight at 135 and they just get rid of the division. Cyborg has been over-paid to beat up smaller fighters or noobs for some time. Let her go to Bellator if they want her.

14. aerius

aerius Black Belt

Demolish Megan Anderson, release both her and Cyborg from their contracts, get rid of the abortion of a division that is 145. Nunes can then make the rest of the women at 135 poop their pants in fear, though hopefully not in a State with the "Kish rule".

15. Rizz

Rizz Green Belt

PurpleStorm and Eater of Souls like this.
  16. Felis

Felis Brown Belt

Which would make her a really real double champ :)
    If she stays at 145 (even "part time") I do want to see a rematch tho. Doesn't have to be an immediate one, but somewhen in the not too distant future it should happen imo.

Mmmmmmma1234 and PurpleStorm like this.
  17. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

With you on most of this statement. I would like to see her open up to a rematch w/Shevchenko. She's the only fighter to give Nunes trouble since her loss to Cat. They were both too cautious in their last fight. Hopefully, they both open up if they meet up again.

18. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

Either Nico's return or dismissal. She's been MIA for far too long.

19. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

Yeah, her next fight should be at 135. May will make a year since she last defended her title there, which is too long.

20. Eater of Souls

She is somewhat large right now.

PurpleStorm likes this.