Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, her next fight should be at 135. May will make a year since she last defended her title there, which is too long.
7 months isn’t too bad, considering she signed to fight up a weight class for a title there. She likely would have defended it sometime around now, if the Cyborg fight hadn’t been signed. If she hadn’t defended it by now, and wasn’t booked to fight cyborg, then yeah, right now would be too long.

With you on most of this statement. I would like to see her open up to a rematch w/Shevchenko. She's the only fighter to give Nunes trouble since her loss to Cat. They were both too cautious in their last fight. Hopefully, they both open up if they meet up again.
Uh, maybe...

I'd be more open to the idea a few years down the road if both are still champs (high likelihood) with a good few defenses each to build up the dominant champ vs dominant champ narrative rather than the Joe Rogan rubber-match that would be the central focus if it were to be soon.

Uh, maybe...

I'd be more open to the idea a few years down the road if both are still champs (high likelihood) with a good few defenses each to build up the dominant champ vs dominant champ narrative rather than the Joe Rogan rubber-match that would be the central focus if it were to be soon.

Yeah Val has mentioned she wants some title defenses at 125. She's also said if her sister reaches numero uno contender spot that she'd move up rather than fight Antonina.

Viera probably deserves the title shot, but Viera-Nunes wouldn't sell many tickets even in Rio. And, despite her record, I think Viera gets mauled by Nunes. If we are looking for anyone but Ladd/Holm, then Pena is more hopeful as a challenger (if she can overcome her devastating injury - pregnancy - but that is a big "if"). But, I'm happy with Nunes KOing Holm and ascending to WMMA godhood...or beating Ladd (because she's young...she'll learn...and eventually challenge for the title again).

Poor Nicco; if she can't find any support here, then where can she go?

What about Namajunas? She's been MIA for a while, almost Nicco levels of ducking. She has a developing long line of legit challengers at SW.

Jarl

Viera probably deserves the title shot, but Viera-Nunes wouldn't sell many tickets even in Rio. And, despite her record, I think Viera gets mauled by Nunes. If we are looking for anyone but Ladd/Holm, then Pena is more hopeful as a challenger (if she can overcome her devastating injury - pregnancy - but that is a big "if"). But, I'm happy with Nunes KOing Holm and ascending to WMMA godhood...or beating Ladd (because she's young...she'll learn...and eventually challenge for the title again).

Poor Nicco; if she can't find any support here, then where can she go?

What about Namajunas? She's been MIA for a while, almost Nicco levels of ducking. She has a developing long line of legit challengers at SW.

Jarl

I wish they'd just match up who should be matched up instead of looking too much as who may or may not be a draw. If it's a good match it's a good match.

Vieira is the one who deserves it. So by all means give it to her. Ladd & Holm should be an interesting fight any way and we can sort them out as far as where they stand after it's done.

Yeah, hoping Pena is ready and will return this year. Wondering how she stack up again after her layoff. And whether she's somewhat toned down the excessive bragging lol.

Nicco has my support. I'm looking forward to her return if or when she's ready.

Hoping we'll hear something about Rose - Andrade fairly soon. Rose has said she'll fight Jessica next. That's clearly the match to make. For sure.

In my opinion UFC should make Vieira vs. GDR next, while Nunes faces the winner of Holm vs. Ladd

Vieira needs more seasoning, i think she has the biggest chance of eventually dethroning Nunes, but i hope they don't make that fight right now. She needs a better performance to establish herself as a threat too.

In my opinion UFC should make Vieira vs. GDR next, while Nunes faces the winner of Holm vs. Ladd

Vieira needs more seasoning, i think she has the biggest chance of eventually dethroning Nunes, but i hope they don't make that fight right now. She needs a better performance to establish herself as a threat too.

This is GDR's last fight in the contract, and last thing UFC want to do with her is making her contender to the title after it. Especially by stopping another, real, promising contender.

God I have such a crush on Barbara Nepomuceno.

Was she really 204lbs that fight? o_O

She carried it well.

hYkIgYd.gif

God I have such a crush on Barbara Nepomuceno.

Was she really 204lbs that fight? o_O

She carried it well.
as far as i know no, that was only the catchweight they choose, Garcia probably made that and then rehydrated, while Babi wasn't even close to 200 lbs, Babi can make 155

as far as i know no, that was only the catchweight they choose, Garcia probably made that and then rehydrated, while Babi wasn't even close to 200 lbs, Babi can make 155
Well, there is a weigh in vid on youtube... unfortunately I don't understand a word they say.

Imo if Nepomuceno (nice name :)) can she should definitely go back(?) down. Contrary to @Afrikan's opinion I don't think she carries the extra weight all that well. In the weigh in vid her head - while with a pretty face - looked unproportionally small compared to the rest of her body.
And of course it should be easier to find fights at (at least somewhat) lower weights.

It was a 225 pounds bout. Gabi weighed in at 225, Barbara weighed in at 203.

I’m very excited to watch Lipski in the UFC, but I think it’s a bit premature to predict her beating Shevchenko, much less by knockout.

But she is the Violence Queen

Young and sweet,
Only twenty four
Violence queen
Hearing the beat of the thai clinch knees, oh yeah
She can kick,
She can punch,
Foes to an inch of their life
Ooh, see that girl,
Blood-stained scene
Diggin' the Violence Queen

DisastrousJubilantAlpaca-small.gif

I had to live through Abba.

This is like running into your evil 1st girlfriend. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Which would make her a really real double champ :)
If she stays at 145 (even "part time") I do want to see a rematch tho. Doesn't have to be an immediate one, but somewhen in the not too distant future it should happen imo.
I said in another thread nows the perfect time to book Megan Anderson vs Cyborg, hopefully at 224 if both are healthy then. Winner can fight for the 145 title late 2019. Nunes can defend vs Viera meantime at 135, Holm vs Ladd winner can be after the 145 defense.
But as long as GDR isn't gifted a title shot off her Rocky win I'll be happy that #1 contender ranking is garbage.

Happy 2019 hopefully this is a great year for women's mma.
My three wishes, Rose has a busy 2019 beating jessica and Tatiana, Felicia Spencer gets her ufc contract and Nunes finally gets popular with mass fan appeal (and ppv#s) now that she's the undisputed women's goat Hail the new queen.

This is GDR's last fight in the contract, and last thing UFC want to do with her is making her contender to the title after it. Especially by stopping another, real, promising contender.

GDR should never see another titleshot... I don't care if she goes on a 15 fight murdering spree.

I’ve got to hand it to Hansen, she stays active.

Chick Cerrone.

Andrade started preparations for next fight. Maybe Rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.