Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by PurpleStorm, Jan 1, 2019.

1. WingsLax9042

WingsLax9042 Purple Belt

Can't have good talk about Bellator without bringing up the fact that they TOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTALLY fucked up bigtime on this one. Having a star-making event like this, and they bury it on DAYS-INN.

They did everything perfectly right that the UFC does incredibly wrong..... And it passes by in the night on a subscription service, instead of Paramount. Fucking idiots.

Trojanlegal, GBJohn and PurpleStorm like this.
  2. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Green Belt

@thatdude21601 is making some good points. KH nearly died last time she tried cutting to atomweight. There's a possibility others would try too hard to move down. I enjoy a lot of atomweight fights. Invicta & Rizin have some really fun ones. Don't know if I'd trust UFC or its fighters to do it in a healthy way.

ions82 likes this.
  3. leto1776

leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

That was realatively short notice.

4. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Green Belt

No kidding! Major bonehead move. Macfarlane has said they're doing a mini-doc about it and I will check that out.

WingsLax9042 likes this.
  5. thatdude21601

thatdude21601 Bananarama Belt

Anyone recognize any of these people? I see Hracho and Cornelia Holm on either side closest to the coaches, but don't know who the other fighters are.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  6. JarlSkuld

JarlSkuld Brown Belt

I think the question is not "should the UFC have an atom weight division?" It's more like, can Bellator, UFC, and Invicta establish and sustain atom weight divisions? WMMA seems to be growing in popularity - fight orgs that have it and promote it are prospering. But, for the lower and upper end of the weight spectrum, it might be hard for all the above fight orgs to support divisions (not to mention Jewels, ONE, etc.). Let's face it, 145 is too sparse for several fight orgs to support it. Atom weight might be a similar case. I'm for the UFC establishing an atom weight division...but if they dick around and let Bellator establish their AW division first, it might just spread out the talent and actually prevent the match ups we want to see.

Jarl

7. awiv

awiv Blue Belt

Sorry again for the delaying - major adulting these past few weeks.

The problem with 145 is the same problem with 135 in Invicta - the experience gap. There are women fighting as high as 155 but many are just amateurs or overseas. Bellator is in a way better position as they do a lot of European shows versus the UFC.

Once Cyborg becomes a free agent it will be interesting. ONE will bring is probably a way better offer than the UFC. I am not sure Bellator could offer what the UFC does, but there is more opportunities for her to fight different styles (boxing, kickboxing, ect.) and possibly fight for Rizin in Japan.

Side note - Ediane Gomes is fighting in March.

8. awiv

awiv Blue Belt

Gonna throw this out....

So Rose is returning a little over a year after her last fight. Most champs could not get away with that - some got stripped because they didn't agree to a fight in 4 months.

My question - why wasn't there an interim champ crowned at least? No offense to Rose but we have three viable contenders (two solidified back in September) and they had to wait with no fights in six months. Tatiana is next in line but will have to wait til at least late summer to get her shot. Roughly a year since she last fought.

leto1776 likes this.
  9. Mmmmmmma1234

Mmmmmmma1234 Brown Belt

What champion was ever stripped in 4 months?

Most interm titles are a result of a last minute injury or ppv schedule hole. I'd imagine that the UFC wanted this fight in Brazil because they've been having trouble getting good fights on those cards in the past years. Also I'm assuming Jessica didn't want any part of Suarez or an interm title (post tony and colby).

PurpleStorm likes this.
  10. Mmmmmmma1234

Mmmmmmma1234 Brown Belt

There's alot more 135ers who comfortably make 145, then 115ers that make 105.
    <Y2JSmirk>

PurpleStorm likes this.
  11. Eater of Souls

Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

It is not about comfort.

12. Tobago Jones

Tobago Jones #HalaWales

I don't have an opinion either way if the UFC should have an Atomweight division but Aside from Alesha Zappitella (who clearly has potential to go far), Ham, Hamasaki, and Asakura, i'm not really wowed by that list of fighters tbh.

I will say 105 definitely has more of a case for a division than 145, get rid of that division ASAP.

JarlSkuld and Eater of Souls like this.
  13. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

Well I was thinking the UFC didn't want Andrade anywhere near a belt, she ticks too many negative boxes from farm girl muscles to lack of English. Booking the fight in Brazil knocks that theory on the head and suggests to me the promotion has run out of patience with Rose. To tell the truth I won't be surprised if the fight falls through and Suarez steps in to take on Jessica.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

The problem with Bellator is they have so few females on their rosters, just a champ and a couple of girls being groomed for a challenge. A 105 division there would give sporadic employment to half a dozen at most.

As for 105 encouraging weight cutting that is probably right, but it is a problem with weight cutting in general. What you have now is genuine 115 pounders fighting 130 pounders at straw. Solve the weight cutting issue first before denying the smaller girls a division they can make.

Btw why the obsession with 10 pound steps, boxing survived for decades with 112, 118, 127, 135, 147 lower divisions. Make atom 107 or 108 - that would rule out the 130 walk arounds while giving the more genuine girls an easier cut.

15. Xuh

Xuh Black Belt

World Championship Weight Classes in Womyn's olympic combat sports (metric uber alles):

Boxing [​IMG]
    45 – 48 Kg (Light Flyweight)
    51 Kg (Flyweight)
    54 Kg (Bantamweight)
    57 Kg (Lightweight)
    60 Kg (Light Welterweight)
    64 Kg (Welterweight)
    69 Kg (Middleweight)
    75 Kg (Light Heavyweight)
    81 Kg (Heavyweight)
    81+ Kg (Super Heavyweight)

Judo [​IMG]
    Open category (no weight limits)
    +78 kg Heavyweight
    -78 kg Half heavyweight
    -70 kg Middleweight
    -63 kg Half middleweight
    -57 kg Lightweight
    -52 kg Half lightweight
    -48 kg Extra lightweight

Wrestling ‍[​IMG]
    -50 kg
    -53 kg
    -55 kg
    -57 kg
    -59 kg
    -62 kg
    -65 kg
    -68 kg
    -72 kg
    -76 kg

Taekwondo <{Heymansnicker}>
    −46 kg Finweight
    −49 kg Flyweight
    −53 kg Bantamweight
    −57 kg Featherweight
    −62 kg Lightweight
    −67 kg Welterweight
    −73 kg Middleweight
    +73 kg Heavyweight

I don't know how these things go in the other sports but in wrestling 48kg was the lowest class until last year, when they switched to 2 day competition (instead of 1 day) requiring 2 weigh ins and raised the weight limit to 50kg to encourage people to stay at a healthily maintainable weight.
    48 kg is 105 lbs.

I guess TKD has 46kg as it's lowest because there are a lot of azns on teh board or something

16. thatdude21601

IFMA muay thai this year had;

45 kg (11 fighters)
    48 kg (14 fighters)
    51 kg (11 fighters)
    54 kg (11 fighters)
    57 kg (12 fighters)
    60 kg (14 fighters)
    63.5 kg (14 fighters)
    67 kg (9 fighters)
    71 kg (8 fighters)
    75 kg (4 fighters)
    75+ kg (4 fighters)

Take into consideration these are closer to walking weight, and that MMA people just cut a lot more. An example is that Antonina fought at 63.5 (about 138lbs) her last year in 2017.

Also these are not as Asian-centric are you might think either. 45kg had four Asians (USA, Philippines, Vietnam, and Singapore), and 48kg only had three (Thailand, Kazakhstan, Singapore). If Russians would get their shit together regarding wmma, there'd be a Russian for every weight class.

Eater of Souls likes this.
  17. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

A couple of other names mentioned are English amateur Beckie Ainscough and Mellony Geugjes, also a Czech Sandra Maskova and from Greece Christina Stelliou. Maybe Demolition Jacqui and French woman Manon Fiorot looking at hashtags.

Oh and add Romanian Alice Ardelean, she's a definite.

18. thatdude21601

Geugjes is clear as day now that you mention her. Off to google the other names ...

Eater of Souls likes this.
  19. MajorTB

MajorTB Blue Belt

Kaytlin Neil got cut from the show last minute, and that’s Jacqueline Trossé (a can, but one of EFC’s staples) on the far right.

Noticed Ardelean Alice of Romania is competing as well.

Eater of Souls and thatdude21601 like this.
  20. Nathanli

Nathanli Green Belt

There's a few fights happening at Valor FC 54 in Knoxville, TN next weekend.

135: Shanna Young (4-1) vs. Jessica Borga (1-1)
    125: Taylor Turner (1-6) vs. Ashley Samples (0-2)
    125: Christina Ricker (0-1) vs. Hayley Turner (2-1)
    105: Carmen Millagros (0-0, 4-2 Ammy) vs. Tabatha Ann Watkins (2-0)

Young is best known for being a former KOTC Champion with a win over Pam Sorenson. She made her return to the sport after a 2 year hiatus and fought Lisa Spangler for Invicta in September and suffered her first pro loss by Split Decision
    Hayley Turner and Tabatha Ann Watkins are more of the fighters out of the Team SFS camp in Michigan who train with Amanda Cooper, Alesha Zappitella, and Kristi Garr. They're all turned into quite the stable. Smaller gyms don't tend to have many women training partners but SFS has done a great job bringing in talent from all over the world including Andrea Lee, Molly McCann, Andy Nguyen, and Montana De La Rosa for recent camps.

Eater of Souls and PurpleStorm like this.