Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet Todd is good, and trains in a gym (Boxing Works in California) that has produced other solid lady fighters (Jackie Buntan & Selina Flores). A bit of a weird signing, I've never seen Todd at 48kg; but should be a good match up.

Here's Todd, and her teammates in a Reebok ad.

Last edited:
While empty, Bellator’s website now has women’s atomweight as a selectable weightclass in the fighter’s section.

upload_2019-1-10_9-6-25.gif

While empty, Bellator’s website now has women’s atomweight as a selectable weightclass in the fighter’s section.

View attachment 502501

Atomweight division is OK, but is it really that important to have it in major leagues?
AFAIK there are literally zero girls that 105 is their natural weight..

Atomweight division is OK, but is it really that important to have it in major leagues?
It’s an established division, so it makes no sense to not have it in the majors.

As far as “natural weight” goes, if you have to lose 10 or more pounds across six weeks to make weight, you’re not in your natural weight class. By those standards, there’s probably less than a dozen girls in the entire sport who fight in their natural weight class.

And they bring an actual legitimacy for their respective divisions to exist ..
Counterpoint is that girls like Esparza, Cifers, Chambers, etc, who can’t compete with the bigger women in their class, give a legitimate reason for 105.

Bellator already has a womyn's 145 division and 105 is certainly more of a division then that weight class so sure why not.

There are plenty of girls around that size, though most of them are Asian (which may be why ROAD/RIZIN/ONE/ orgs like that tend to be the most active places for the div, which is a bit out of sight for American/Euro viewers and not so appealing for the UFC).

Counterpoint is that girls like Esparza, Cifers, Chambers, etc, who can’t compete with the bigger women in their class, give a legitimate reason for 105.

Esparza is top 10 Strawweight and multiple champ in this category.
She took at least one round ftom huge Gadelha and had a close fight with huge Jag.

She is much better than Chambers and obviously Cifers. And she's a proof that 105 is unnecessary.

There are plenty of girls around that size, though most of them are Asian (which may be why ROAD/RIZIN/ONE/ orgs like that tend to be the most active places for the div, which is a bit out of sight for American/Euro viewers and not so appealing for the UFC).

They don't cut at all? Ayaka does, Hamderlei does...can you give names of those who don't?

They don't cut at all? Ayaka does, Hamderlei does...can you give names of those who don't?

it's normal to cut at least a few pounds from 'walk around weight' in every single division in every combat sport, that's not a big deal either, & what you're pointing out is not some kind of sensible argument at all.

What baffles me is the idea that Bellator would be "major" while Invicta is not, if I am reading the discussion at hand correctly.

If UFC ever starts an atomweight division, it will be less than a year before I'm complaining that we need a 45kg division to protect Loma Lookboonmee & Jujeath Nagaowa from the giant weirdo weight cut hulks like Michelle Waterson.

What baffles me is the idea that Bellator would be "major" while Invicta is not, if I am reading the discussion at hand correctly.

For WMMA hardcores Invicta may be a major show, but let's get real now, Bellator holds shows all around the world, has a major TV deal, packs out way bigger venues than Invicta, has multiple events per month, has way bigger 'names' (who is Invicta's biggest star right now that might be known to MMA casual/intermediate level fans??), much more money to throw around, etc

MacFarlane is probably better known in the wider MMA fan community than any Invicta fighter right now based just on her Bellator run.

For WMMA hardcores Invicta may be a major show, but let's get real now, Bellator holds shows all around the world, has a major TV deal, packs out way bigger venues than Invicta, has multiple events per month, has way bigger 'names' (who is Invicta's biggest star right now that might be known to MMA casual/intermediate level fans??), much more money to throw around, etc

Still bush league if one asks me (not that anyone sensible would do so). I wasn't really pushing Invicta as "major", just taking a piss at Bellator.

Not that I have ever seen a single moment of a Bellator show (or likely ever will, even though it's shown on free tellyvision here). Between UFC, Invicta, those crazy nipponese, that place Angela Lee fights at, Road FC, etc. etc. there's way too much MMA to be interested in without having to endure stuff from an org who only has "UFC-lite" status going for it. All the other non-UFC places at least seem to have some personality, personality goes a long way.

Anyway :D

Still bush league if one asks me (not that anyone sensible would do so). I wasn't really pushing Invicta as "major", just taking a piss at Bellator.

Not that I have ever seen a single moment of a Bellator show (or likely ever will, even though it's shown on free tellyvision here). Between UFC, Invicta, those crazy nipponese, that place Angela Lee fights at, Road FC, etc. etc. there's way too much MMA to be interested in without having to endure stuff from an org who only has "UFC-lite" status going for it. All the other non-UFC places at least seem to have some personality, personality goes a long way.

Anyway :D
<DisgustingHHH>

@Xuh @leto1776 You two are the first people who I have ever "met" online to think positively about Bellator!

Status
Not open for further replies.