Official Ask Tim Witherspoon Anything Thread

I got a taste of the limelight getting my question answered on the youtube by the Great Tim Witherspoon! Sorry about your football injury, you did quite well w/ your ultimate career choice tho, thanks Tim.

Hi Tim,

I understand you had some pretty shitty experiences with Don King. What was your worst/craziest don king story? Also if you had your time again how would you have managed your career differently.

I'm sure Tim would have loved to train Wilder. I'm sure a lot can be said about Wilder, how Tim would approach training him, what holes he sees in his game, whether he thinks Malik Scotts approach in getting him to bulk up was correct, how he thinks Wilder would have fared in past eras etc

I stand by my opinion that he KOd Fury and that the first fight could and should have been called off when Fury was unconscious.
What is truly being out cold? How do you measure someone truly is out cold vs taking a breather or dazed? You would need to find a way to essentially MRI them, or, you can simply just give them a ten count and the chance to beat it. Fury beat that count without any issue and when he got up he was fine, even won the rest of the round, so he could not have been out that badly.

I'm not aware of that being a rule in boxing. What do you think about this fight from the 90's?

I just don't know how you measure someone really being out? It is like when someone pretends to be asleep - how do you know they are asleep without any brain imaging? And how long can their light be shut off? .5 second? 5 seconds? You need to get really specific and it gets very murky when you go down this path. I've noticed a lot of Wilder fans have created an alternative narrative so they can feel like Wilder won......from the ten count to 'the long count', all the rules were followed and Fury won. No controversy really besides the scorecards in the first fight.

I just don't know how you measure someone really being out? It is like when someone pretends to be asleep - how do you know they are asleep without any brain imaging? And how long can their light be shut off? .5 second? 5 seconds? You need to get really specific and it gets very murky when you go down this path. I've noticed a lot of Wilder fans have created an alternative narrative so they can feel like Wilder won......from the ten count to 'the long count', all the rules were followed and Fury won. No controversy really besides the scorecards in the first fight.
It is subjective but if a fighter goes limp that's a pretty good indication. I don't doubt Ruddock and Fury were both unconscious briefly. Nowadays most referees will stop the fight at that point and most people wouldn't complain. I don't think that's the rule though. A fighter has 10 seconds to get up and show he can follow your commands.

It is subjective but if a fighter goes limp that's a pretty good indication. I don't doubt Ruddock and Fury were both unconscious briefly. Nowadays most referees will stop the fight at that point and most people wouldn't complain. I don't think that's the rule though. A fighter has 10 seconds to get up and show he can follow your commands.
Yah, I do agree that they were both out temporarily, but I think many people that get knocked down go out for even a split second, hence why they get knocked down in the first place. You see it in the UFC too where a fighters eyes roll back for a split second then they pop back in to it.

If we are going to DQ fighters that go out, we would need to get really specific, put time limits in place on how long they can be unconscious and find ways to measure their consciousness, as perceptions can be off....it just all gets very murky and the ten count is so much easier. I also agree there is no rule that says if the lights get switched off you must end the fight. The ref for that fight said giving the ten count was the greatest call of his entire career. Fury was more alert after that knock down than he was in the 3rd fight o the second knock down where he lost his balance.

Yah, I do agree that they were both out temporarily, but I think many people that get knocked down go out for even a split second, hence why they get knocked down in the first place. You see it in the UFC too where a fighters eyes roll back for a split second then they pop back in to it.

If we are going to DQ fighters that go out, we would need to get really specific, put time limits in place on how long they can be unconscious and find ways to measure their consciousness, as perceptions can be off....it just all gets very murky and the ten count is so much easier. I also agree there is no rule that says if the lights get switched off you must end the fight. The ref for that fight said giving the ten count was the greatest call of his entire career. Fury was more alert after that knock down than he was in the 3rd fight o the second knock down where he lost his balance.

I think fatigue played a big part in the first fight as well. He wasn’t in the best shape imo, and not surprising after so the weight gain and lay off. No doubt he was hurt but I don’t think he was out At any point. After 12 rounds of fighting, your punch resistance is lower and it’s far harder to pull yourself up from the canvas. I think he did exactly what you should do in that situation. Composed himself rather than rush back to his feet too quickly. He did the same when Cunningham knocked him down as well

Add to that he was steady as a rock when he got to his feet. He hasn’t got superhuman recovery powers, he just wasn’t as hurt as many claim he was. And I think he likes to play on that as well.

I think he was far more hurt in the 3 rd fight. He looked genuinely concerned and shocked

Tim, if NASA asked you to be the first person to travel to Mars, but you couldn't come back to Earth, would you do it?

Hi Tim,
is there a specific boxing style you would recommend for someone who is
not that athletic, powerful or fast? Is there successful boxer like that that comes to mind?
Thanks

How would you compare the golden age of boxing and when you boxed to the modern age (now)? How do you think it's changed (if it has) and how do you think these modern heavyweight would fair if they faced some of the guys from the golden age and your era and vice versa?

I'm not even sad you didn't answer my stupid question....just disappointed.
<Lmaoo>

Joking aside amazing video! I love the fact your taking the time out to answer some of our questions. It's not everyday you get an opportunity like this. Hats off to you!!!! I'll craql out now.

This is awesome!!! I just saw this thread! I am very interested in what a Heavyweight like Tim advice would be to a fighter like Anthony Joshua for his rematch fight vs Usyk.

Tim, I'm wondering if you had any comments about the Fury vs. Wilder fights. Was the ten count too long? How do you rate Fury's chin? Can you speak to the issue of power versus size in boxing? Fury won with his size and bullying (leaning, tying up after throwing punches and getting inside), and Wilder's power wasn't enough to put him down. Is size the ultimate attribute in boxing then? Are style and technique merely afterthoughts? Sorry to ask questions not about you. I am trying to think of some, but I don't have any great questions yet. I was going to ask about Don, but I figured you didn't want to think about that liar again. Anyway, thanks for hanging out on Sherdog.

Hello Tim. Who are your favorite athletes from other combat disciplines and how do you compare them to your favorite boxers? Say wrestling, judo, kickboxing, MMA, etc. Whatever you may be into.

How did you get into boxing?
I was playing football at the University Missouri, but I got hurt. When I got home many of the people around me were boxing. So me and my friend Keith Davis and my brother Anthony went to the Old Passyunck boxing gym. Then the rest is history

Tim, I'm wondering if you had any comments about the Fury vs. Wilder fights. Was the ten count too long? How do you rate Fury's chin? Can you speak to the issue of power versus size in boxing? Fury won with his size and bullying (leaning, tying up after throwing punches and getting inside), and Wilder's power wasn't enough to put him down. Is size the ultimate attribute in boxing then? Are style and technique merely afterthoughts? Sorry to ask questions not about you. I am trying to think of some, but I don't have any great questions yet. I was going to ask about Don, but I figured you didn't want to think about that liar again. Anyway, thanks for hanging out on Sherdog.
I don't think it was too long but we would need to look at the video. Fury's chin well he has been down several times so he has an average chin. No size isn't the absolute, it is really what you do with the size. Someone small but knows what to do can be deadly like Mike Tyson. I put lot of tall big guys on the floor.

Hi guys this is 2x Heavyweight Champ here to answer fan questions from around the internet. More questions and answers coming soon. Please feel free to ask anything. Don't forget to like an subscribe on Youtube.

Hello everyone we figured out how we are going to be doing these Q&A's. To keep our Youtube channel easier to navigate we will put all Q&A content on our Facebook page and then link it in this thread https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100073564867130

Last edited:
Should the US build more nuclear power plants as an alternative to coal as a source of electricity?

Back