Nunes Insults Cyborg's "Power" and Tells Her to Wait Two Years for Rematch

What do you make of Nunes' comments?

• Total voters
Kinda weird that she says two years. Maybe she means not in 2019? I don't really care who she fights, but I think she should be required to defend each belt a minimum of once every 6 months or choose one to vacate.

OMFG people! She was trying to make a joke... isn't it obvious? It's just that she can't communicate properly in English. Her words in this interview have no actual meaning other than some "bliberish".

Women gonna women.

I mean, it was better when all they had was this:
fabio-lanzoni-crashes-ferrari-599-gtb-fiorano-5754_2.jpg

Once this:
81kcUYzbWoL.jpg

broke on the scene, everything went haywire.

I don't even view her as akin to say Wanderlei back in the day, he could be a bit wild at points but always had the threat of turning a match with a single punch, Rampage both times, Saku 3, Tamura, Mezger, Fujita, etc. Cyborg has never shown that with any consistency, almost every win was a case of hustling someone up to the cage and unloading for a TKO.

Yep. Dirty boxing at best from Cyborg. It took her three rounds to put away Evinger, who just lost to Ladd (a rookie) in the 1st. To really determine Cyborg's boxing skill, you just need to watch her footwork and control of distance. Compare her to, say, Shevchenko, who makes her opponents miss by a centimeter or two and then lands a well-timed counter. Or Joanna, who, in her fight with Shevchenko, was neatly executing pull-counters, etc.

Cyborg's footwork is terrible. Sure, she can cut the cage a bit, but her steps are broad and heavy. She frequently steps in too close which is one of the reasons why she gets hit with straights while her hooks are winging around. She does not keep her chin tucked and displays generally poor defense. Admittedly, boxing in WMMA is generally very poor, with very few women having a decent boxing background or even good boxing coaching, which is why, in addition to being bigger and stronger, Cyborg got away with it for so long.

Even Holly, with her boxing background, displays horrible fundamentals. Too much weight on her front foot, leans forward, shit for power on her left straight because of her screwed up stance, hips too square, etc. She also got away with it because the talent pool in women's boxing is incredibly small (one of the "tiles" she won was from a woman with, I think, a 1-2 record. (not a typo) Compare Holly vs. Shevchenko. Other than the first round, Shevchenko won every round clearly, on the feet and in the clinch despite being small enough to look like Holly's kid sister.

There are quite a few good strikers in WMMA, but most of them do not actually come from boxing. They generally come from MT and/or Dutch kickboxing.

People should never assume (not you, others) that because one fighter can beat another it means they have better boxing. I have no idea why anyone would think this, yet, well, it continues.

I’m fine with it. Nunes doesn’t have a media personality, so any publicity she gets is good. UFC has done a piss-poor job promoting her, which is all the more ridiculous given how much of a push mediocre athletes like Northcutt and Van Zant have gotten.

She speaks better English Canelo, has a ready-for-TV highlight finish reel, and doesn’t skip media appearances like Diaz. She is also in the discussion for being a WMMA GOAT, and Shevchenko fight aside, comes to finish.

I love when fighters act like they have the ability to make people wait. If the ufc wants the rematch it will either happen when they want or they will strip the title. Amanda never even realky got hit w power, because cyborg was rocked before she could land. It was a stupid gameplan by cyborg and she lost. A rematch would surely go differently and cyborg would use a gameplan instead of just rushing forward. We shall see. I dont even care if they fight again or if any wmma fights ever happen. It's not a draw on ppv, so Amanda will go to 35...fight nobody then in 2 years if cyborg is still even fighting, she will grant a rematch. Good plan.. Seems like a rematch would at least make her bank over the 135 women she could face.

she's right tho. cyborg has never one-punch ko'ed anyone and she's fought blown up 135ers her entire career. nunes just faceplanted a bigger fighter with a single clean strike. GOAT level power there

Nunes should get the money fight out of the way now. There's no guarantee her or Cyborg stay undefeated for two years. And personally I think there are several fighters who can beat Cyborg. Especially now that her aura is gone. Most of the girls before were scared before they stepped in the cage.
I don’t think so. Her aura may be gone but most girls still aren’t going to be able to handle getting hit by her, and none of them can hit like Amanda. Amanda is just a beast but most girls can’t do what Amanda or cyborg can.

So it means she doesn't want to give her the rematch.. is this the directive from Dana or from herself.

Nunes that Holly (if she isn't to old) fight will be dangerous just saying.

Two years seems excessive.

That was probably a bit hyperbolic but if she chooses to lose weight instead of doing a larger cut in order to defend her 135 belt then we have to account for the time that'd take, plus scheduling a fight at 135 (typically a few months out at least), plus the time it takes to bulk back up, and then scheduling the rematch. All that could plausibly take a year or more especially if there are any injuries or other delays.

Why were you crying in the ring after winning the fight?

I'm confused:
either Cyborg was big deal and beating her was an accomplishment
or
her power is overrated (beating her is overrated) and don't give me so much credit

which one is it, you can't have it both ways.

Even if Cyborg was pillow-fisted beating her would still be an accomplishment because of who she was (undefeated 13 years, considered the best WMMA fight by many, etc.). It's not one or the other.

Good luck keeping Cyborg out of a rematch in a division with 4 fucking people. She’ll get stripped before then. Who else is challenging for wFW title? Megan? Holly? Hangnail Zingano?

Nunes taking the McGregor approach after his Aldo KO. Not a bad business decision but says a lot about how she feels about lightning striking twice.

Weird amount of hate for someone wanting to go back down to defend her original title in a division that actually has a top 10. Should everyone at 135 be put on hold until Nunes/Cyborg 2,3,4 is finished?
Immediate rematches are shit unless it’s a terrible decision. Let the losing fighter smash at least one fighter first to regain some confidence and work on some shit.

I agree but 2 years for a rematch in a division with 4 notable fighters in it? Cyborg doesn’t deserve a rematch but the depth of the division makes two years seem like she’d have to completely avoid the division to make that time frame.

Would Cyborg have granted an instant rematch if things had gone differently? (We don't know...maybe she'd have the same reaction).

I'm not sure why fans of Cyborg are clamoring for an instant rematch: Ask Aldo, Garbrandt, Joanna J, Romero (and others) how much it helped their careers to lose to the champ TWICE. If there is a rematch and Cyborg gets KOed again (in under a minute), then we can safely and surely conclude that: Cyborg did indeed fight primarily under-sized cans her entire career, took PEDs, and got completely destroyed when she fought a fighter of (actual) champion caliber. What does that do for Cyborg's legacy? If you're a Cyborg fan, you should be lobbying hard AGAINST an immediate rematch. Now, Cyborg just isn't as good as Nunes, and unless she improves greatly, she'll get destroyed again and relegated to completely irrelevancy. Cyborg needs time to improve her striking (accuracy) and her striking defense. She also needs to learn how to win fights without just her brute strength and she needs to learn more discipline so she just doesn't start swinging wildly every time she gets hurt. I dislike Cyborg, but even I can see this is the best path for her.

Jarl

Would Cyborg have granted an instant rematch if things had gone differently? (We don't know...maybe she'd have the same reaction).

I'm not sure why fans of Cyborg are clamoring for an instant rematch: Ask Aldo, Garbrandt, Joanna J, Romero (and others) how much it helped their careers to lose to the champ TWICE. If there is a rematch and Cyborg gets KOed again (in under a minute), then we can safely and surely conclude that: Cyborg did indeed fight primarily under-sized cans her entire career, took PEDs, and got completely destroyed when she fought a fighter of (actual) champion caliber. What does that do for Cyborg's legacy? If you're a Cyborg fan, you should be lobbying hard AGAINST an immediate rematch. Now, Cyborg just isn't as good as Nunes, and unless she improves greatly, she'll get destroyed again and relegated to completely irrelevancy. Cyborg needs time to improve her striking (accuracy) and her striking defense. She also needs to learn how to win fights without just her brute strength and she needs to learn more discipline so she just doesn't start swinging wildly every time she gets hurt. I dislike Cyborg, but even I can see this is the best path for her.

Jarl

Cyborg fans have always exaggerated her abilities. She has never really shown much in the way of technical prowess. She has overwhelmed plenty of smaller fighters with size, strength and athleticism supported by amazing cardio. She is a far better athlete than she is a skilled fighter, and when she ran into someone she could not overwhelm, and one that threw with actual power, we saw the result.

Yes, she has improved her striking somewhat in the last couple of years under Parillo, but the women she has fought with the exception of Holly have not even been top-ten ranked in the weight class below her. So beating up journeywomen that you have 10-15 lbs. of muscle on is not indicative of skill.

But her know-nothing muscle-worshipers are too busy dreaming of her domination than paying attention to actual skills.

Cyborg fans have always exaggerated her abilities. She has never really shown much in the way of technical prowess. She has overwhelmed plenty of smaller fighters with size, strength and athleticism supported by amazing cardio. She is a far better athlete than she is a skilled fighter, and when she ran into someone she could not overwhelm, and one that threw with actual power, we saw the result.

Yes, she has improved her striking somewhat in the last couple of years under Parillo, but the women she has fought with the exception of Holly have not even been top-ten ranked in the weight class below her. So beating up journeywomen that you have 10-15 lbs. of muscle on is not indicative of skill.

But her know-nothing muscle-worshipers are too busy dreaming of her domination than paying attention to actual skills.
giphy.gif

Back