Nunes Insults Cyborg's "Power" and Tells Her to Wait Two Years for Rematch

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Jan 4, 2019.

?

What do you make of Nunes' comments?

1. Cool

27.5%
  2. Interesting

15.3%
  3. Odd

36.4%
  4. Unacceptable

31.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. strikezone

strikezone Purple Belt

They should both just change their weight class to the men's division.

2. Eater of Souls

Eater of Souls Guardian of the Gate

See, that is the thing. Holly's credentials far out-weigh her actually boxing skill. And before someone says "but world champion . . . " One of the people she beat for a title had a 1-2 record. I have, even in this thread, pointed out Holly's technical deficiencies. Even her stances is terrible. Like Cyborg, she got by for years on athletic ability and the fact that the talent pool in women's boxing is the smallest in all of combat sports. (Jack Slack did, I believe, an excellent breakdown of her fundamentals and why they are terrible).

Holly had one great performance, and that was against Rousey who ran face-first into Holly's left straight with her hands down. Otherwise every performance she has had has been mediocre. She barely squeaked by Pennigton, etc.

Cyborg was more patient against Holly, yes. Her footwork, head position and movement, striking defense, etc. are all poor.

aerius likes this.
  3. bongwater

bongwater Blue Belt

nunes has always been a troll, shes always respectable to her opponents face to face but she will troll them in social media like rousey lol.

4. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Black Belt Platinum Member

Nunes could have played Valentina against Cyborg. She should have said, "How does Cyborg deserve a rematch more than Valentina? Valentina was a competitive fight. Cyborg not so much." Then added: "I can fight the winner of Valentina vs. Cyborg" (knowing full well they are training partners, but pretending she doesn't know that). Then she has shifted the burden onto them: "Do you really want the division belt and GOAT title bad enough to fight a training partner?"

5. leto1776

leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

They trained together like once, and it was a photo op more than anything.

6. youllneverwalkalone

youllneverwalkalone Green Belt

Regarding the first part, you are absolutely right and that is an argument that can be settled easily. My hunch is that the WME/UFC has this type of data and would not lose money into keeping something the majority of their customers do not want.

Last sentence: That's not my cup of tea obviously, but the WMMA bouts are very few compared to the men and for the most part I enjoy them. Also, there are there are a lot of men fights that suck.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    HunterAcosta likes this.
  7. jamiehunter

jamiehunter Brown Belt

Actually she said she was worried about Cyborg's power but then wasn't concerned once she was actually hit. Basically what Amanda imagined Cyborg's power to be was greater than the reality of what she was hit with so the actual power paled in comparison.

8. Alxair

Alxair Purple Belt

It makes sense to defend at 135 lbs now but talking about 2 years before a rematch does sound like she's running away and hopes Cyborg retires or goes way past her prime before she has a chance to avenge.

9. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Black Belt

Because she molested Ronda and Cyborg?

10. ReadWrite

Team Nunes Blocks Cyborg Petition for Rematch

Nunes’ coach Conan Silveira doesn’t believe that there is anyone who can compete with “The Lioness” at the moment.

“I’d never put that it way, to say it’s not possible [for Cyborg to beat Nunes in a rematch]. I’d just explain it in the way of how Amanda is as a fighter.

“I believe for you to get close to her you have to understand fighting more than she does and I think that, right now, I don’t see anybody [who understands fighting as much as she does]. Of course, I’m not in any way disrespecting Cyborg or any other fighter, but I don’t see that. I think Amanda is on a different level of MMA.”

. . .

“The reason why I say I don’t believe that I don’t think that there will be a rematch is because I think a rematch should only happen if it was a split decision, or even a unanimous decision where you probably don’t know which way the fight was going to go.

“When you knock somebody out don’t come to me and say that it was lucky, ‘Oh, it was a lucky shot’ — no. That was very visible and clear that Amanda knew what she was doing, everybody saw it and Cyborg could not handle it. I don’t see why you would have a rematch.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...ra-throws-water-on-cris-cyborgs-rematch-hopes

11. 209

209 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

12. SKITZADACTYL

SKITZADACTYL Gold Belt

but rogan told us she has legit ONE PUNCH KNOCKOUT POWER!

13. yougetKTFO

yougetKTFO Black Belt

She had nothing but I won't fight her again for two years (sound scared homie)

14. acannxr

acannxr Brown Belt

Number of Women's Featherweight fights in the UFC:
    2016: 2
    2017: 3
    2018: 6

Average number of fights in the UFC's male divisions?

15. acannxr

acannxr Brown Belt

Someone on Reddit actually combed through the timeline and the evidence suggests that Cyborg was the one delaying the process:

Posted by
    u/averydurable

13 days ago

While promoting this fight, Cyborg has repeatedly stated that Amanda asked for the fight, but then wanted 9 months to prepare for it. Implying that Amanda needed 9 months to prepare, and saying that you shouldn't call someone out if you're not ready.

But anyone who was paying attention back when Amanda first started asking for this fight knows that this isn't true - in fact, it was Cyborg who was trying to delay and put it off.

So here's the actual timeline:

Dec 27, 2017
    Amanda's coach says they want the WINNER of Cyborg vs Holm: "We have the utmost respect for Cyborg and Holm, it’d be a great fight with either one."
    Source

Dec 31, 2017
    Cyborg beats Holm. Neither Cyborg nor Nunes has a fight booked.

Jan 4, 2018
    Despite always talking about giving her fans the 'best fights,' Cyborg says the fight she wants is Pam Sorenson (source). Thus begins a campaign of Anyone But Amanda, couched in the idea that she wanted a true 145 pounder.

Jan 6, 2018
    Cyborg tweets about wanting a superfight with (dun dun dun!) Cindy Dandois:

Jan 8, 2018
    Cyborg tweets that she wants Germaine de Randamie, Megan Anderson Cindy Dandois, Pam Sorenson or Jozette Cotton (linked in case you've never heard of her). Again, all because she wants 'legitimate' contenders at her weight class.

Early February 2018
    Cyborg signs to fight Yana Kunitskaya, who is, wait for it, 135 pounds, coming up to fight at featherweight, with no plans to stay there.
    Source

Late February 2018
    Since Cyborg booked her fight with Kunitskya, Nunes agrees to fight Pennington, who is recently back from an injury. Before Pennington's return, there had been no real contenders for Nunes since cleaned out her division (which had been a driving factor for her wanting the Cyborg fight).
    Source

March 4, 2018
    Cyborg beats Kunitskya. Cyborg FINALLY 'calls out' Amanda and accepts the inevitable. Of course, Amanda still has her fight with Pennington in two months.

THIS, by the way, is where Cyborg gets her 'she called me out but then wanted 9 months to get ready' number from. Because Nunes should have dropped the Pennington fight or something?

May 13, 2018
    Nunes beats Pennington. Nunes injures her foot and is suspended for 180 days. (So kind of funny that Cyborg said in the last press conference that they were supposed to fight in July).
    Source

Early July, 2018
    ESPN reports that the UFC wants to book Cyborg Nunes for the end of year December card. Amanda agrees right away. And Cyborg starts whining that she wants it much sooner - in September. Because who wants to be on the biggest night of the year, right?
    Source

To me, Cyborg's push to avoid the Nunes fight is pretty telling. Either she didn't want a challenge (and so she definitely thinks Nunes is a challenge), OR, she wanted to end her career like she always does, by fighting cans.

And for all her talk of wanting a 145-er, she didn't want Amanda to have more than a two month camp to move up a weight class.

Either way, hardly the mindset of a champion.

That's awful, terribly awful. Nunes already defeated GDR, but has never fought Holm. Cyborg has already defeated Holm, but never fought GDR. And yet you want to book uninteresting rematches...

Nunes vs. Holm is the fight to make, I don't care what the UFC does with Cyborg/WFW.

When Nunes' threw that leg kick and one-two, I immediately knew that Cyborg abandoned the gameplan based on how she reacted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    eiyuu, Askafan, moreorless87 and 2 others like this.
  16. ReadWrite

Here's an original new reason to shut down Cyborg's rematch bid:

lsa and Eater of Souls like this.
  17. Shabutie

Shabutie Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

With that logic people would only have to be KO'd with something that lands clean and you know for a fact that's not true.

18. ReadWrite

Holly Holm is now saying Cyborg should get a rematch:

“She deserves a rematch for being somebody in a dominant position like that for so long getting knocked out? Yes, they absolutely deserve a rematch,” Holm told MMA Junkie. “That’s the way it goes. I believe she deserve the chance to go fight again. I don’t think she needs people to talk her into it. Rematches after getting knocked out--it needs to come from the fighter themselves. If Cyborg comes forward saying, ‘I want the rematch I can absolutely do.’ Yes, I think Amanda should honor that.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/1/15/...-title-fight-cris-cyborg-deserves-rematch-mma

This is a really weak argument failing first in the facts. Cyborg did not have a long reign like Silva or Aldo or any of the other UFC champions. The division itself hasn't even been around very long.

Second, what Cyborg wants to do isn't very important. The point of the fact she was KTFO as White stated and Nunes' coach stated is it wasn't close or controversial.

Third, White hasn't been impressed with Cyborg from the beginning:

DANA WHITE ADMITS UFC CREATED WOMEN’S 145 DIVISION FOR CRIS CYBORG

February 1, 2017

In December, UFC created the women’s featherweight division and slated former bantamweight champion Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie to fight for the inaugural women’s 145-pound title at UFC 208.

The move was a bit shocking because Invicta FC featherweight champion and UFC fighter Cris “Cyborg” Justino was not in the first women’s featherweight bout. UFC president Dana White revealed the Justino was offered the title fight multiple times, but turned it down.

"I offered Cris Cyborg a title fight at 145 pounds a month ago,” said White when the Holm and de Randamie fight was announced. “She had eight weeks to get ready for it; she said she couldn’t make the weight. She couldn’t make 145 pounds. So then I offered her another 145-pound title fight for Brooklyn and she turned it down.

“She has turned down two 145-pound title fights.”

https://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-admits-ufc-created-womens-145-division-for-cris-cyborg

19. Ass-hat

Ass-hat Yellow Belt

That's cool, but how many IG followers does she have? Please update title

20. JarlSkuld

JarlSkuld Brown Belt

Hahahahahaahahahahahahaha...no it won't.

Jarl