Nunes Insults Cyborg's "Power" and Tells Her to Wait Two Years for Rematch

What do you make of Nunes' comments?

• Total voters
Speaking with the UFC Unfiltered podcast recently, Nunes revealed that Cyborg’s renowned power was overstated and after eating a few punches, she realized that she didn’t need to worry about it and immediately went for the kill.

“She didn’t [hurt me] at all,” Nunes said. “Actually, when she connected the first time I saw that there was no power at all and I put my hands down, [and said] ‘I’m gonna go for it’. I don’t know if you see when I put my head down when she started punching me but I was more scared of the talk that she punches hard than exactly that she punched hard. You hear a lot that ‘She punches hard, she’s strong, she has knockout power!’ but when she landed, I moved my head because I was more scared of being hit than because the punch was strong.”

Such was the nature of Nunes’ performance that despite Cyborg’s unprecedented run of dominance, UFC President Dana White isn’t even keen on an immediate rematch. That works for Nunes whose plans on twisting the knife further on Cyborg, saying she won’t give the former champion a rematch for two years, a response to Cyborg’s pre-fight trash talk where she complained about Nunes wanting to wait to compete at the end of 2018 instead of immediately.

“Cyborg doesn’t want to fight me if it takes more than a year to prepare, and right now, I don’t think she’s gonna want it because I’m gonna ask for two years to be ready for her again,” Nunes said. “She said I wanted one year to be ready for her and she didn’t want to wait that much, she don’t wanna stay without fighting but right now I’m asking for two years for the rematch.”

Of course, there is also a practical component as well. As double champion, Nunes now has two belts to defend, and after taking a vacation and some time off to recover from some injuries she sustained before UFC 232, Nunes says she intends to defend her 135-pound title next.

“Yeah I’m gonna defend my belt, my original belt,” Nunes concluded. “Yeah, for sure I’m gonna go down, defend my belt. My division is waiting for me and we will see what happens after but I don’t think Cyborg wants to wait for two years.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...er-at-all-has-to-wait-two-years-for-a-rematch

The WMMA GOAT has spoken.

I'd say they are both hard hitting chicks. Cyborg has 17 TKO/KO out of 20 wins. Nunes has 12 TKO/KO out of 17 wins. Cyborg got caught, lost, was humble in defeat.

But unlike you, there are some of us who enjoy WMMA fights. Why should the UFC caters to your preferences and not ours?
Fair enough . But I wonder if the MAJORITY of UFC fans would care if women”s mma disappeared off the UFC cards . For every Amanda Numes and Cyborg ( exciting , athletic ) there’s 5 Carla Esparza”s and Roxane Modifari”s. Non athletic HUMANS (forget that they are man or woman)beating each other up . If that’s your cup of tea , more power to you .

Last edited:
What the fuck she needs two years for? Especially if Cyborg has no power like she claims.

I'd say they are both hard hitting chicks. Cyborg has 17 TKO/KO out of 20 wins. Nunes has 12 TKO/KO out of 17 wins. Cyborg got caught, lost, was humble in defeat.
Yes Cyborg was humble in defeat, but she looked helpless on her feet...Nunes is correct she should wait at least 2 years!

Lol no hespect. Mandy is nearly as unlikeable as Ronda. She’s the GOAT but 96% of what she does is dumb.

Well the one time cris somewhat connected Nunes was backpeddling and covering up.
Cris never really got a clean shot in Amanda did. In a game of power punching the slower fighter will almost always get tagged and hurt.

that said Cris has to somehow learn to reign her aggression in when fighting these hard hitting gals - Nunes and megan. Use a GSP strategy of clinching and wrestling to wear out the arms a bit to take off some of the speed and power.

Nunes got hit once and in the whole and she felt it. Definitely!!

Nunes is so dumb. As soon as she gets a good win and people talk good things about her she starts saying dumb shit and acting arrogant.

Not a good way to get fans.

Yea, it’s not like Cyborg connected with anything remotely significant

Good for Nunez for starting the trash talk/promo for the inevitable rematch early, this is her chance

Why not have some respect
For cyborg it will only make her Amanda
Look good as a champion

Back