Nunes Insults Cyborg's "Power" and Tells Her to Wait Two Years for Rematch

What do you make of Nunes' comments?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Amanda Nunes will make Cyborg wait two years for rematch after UFC 232

“She didn’t [hurt me] at all,” said Nunes during a recent appearance on the UFC Unfiltered podcast. “Actually, when she connected the first time I saw that there was no power at all and I put my hands down, [and said] ‘I’m gonna go for it’.

"I don’t know if you see when I put my head down when she started punching me but I was more scared of the talk that she punches hard than exactly that she punched hard.

"You hear a lot that ‘She punches hard, she’s strong, she has knockout power!’ but when she landed, I moved my head because I was more scared of being hit than because the punch was strong.”

“Cyborg doesn’t want to fight me if it takes more than a year to prepare, and right now, I don’t think she’s gonna want it because I’m gonna ask for two years to be ready for her again.

"She said I wanted one year to be ready for her and she didn’t want to wait that much, she don’t wanna stay without fighting but right now I’m asking for two years for the rematch.”

“Yeah I’m gonna defend my belt, my original belt,” Nunes concluded. “Yeah, for sure I’m gonna go down, defend my belt. My division is waiting for me and we will see what happens after but I don’t think Cyborg wants to wait for two years.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/1/4/1...rematch-after-ufc-23-mma-jones-ppv-gustafsson

Two years seems excessive.

Stay classy, my friends.

Amanda Nunes reminds me of Michael Jackson

I seriously doubt the UFC gives a shit what Amanda thinks.

She doesn't have nearly enough marketing clout for them to bend to her whims.

The sad truth is a Cyborg rematch is one of the only big sellable fights she has.

Last edited:
Nunes should get the money fight out of the way now. There's no guarantee her or Cyborg stay undefeated for two years. And personally I think there are several fighters who can beat Cyborg. Especially now that her aura is gone. Most of the girls before were scared before they stepped in the cage.

Alright, cool. That's what she thinks

no one else thinks that way.

Weird that she was gun shy as hell against Shevchenko but then claims she wasnt worried about Cyborg's power at all

<mma4>

Amanda, look at Woodley. See who is pulling the strings and who is calling the shots. Also, learn from his mistakes.

Cris - go smash the competition. Call out Me-again and put a clinic on her.

Last edited:
The fight was decisive. If Cyborg stays in the UFC I’d expect a rematch at some point. And I doubt it would have to wait 2 years. But I don’t need to see it right now.

Cyborg talked minor but still shit talk in the lead up. Nunes has a right to everything she said here.

Honestly though you look at Cyborgs career and she's not really wrong, not all that many instances of her really desiding fights with one punch power, its almost always been a case of just overwhelming opponents and getting TKOs.

Last edited:
UFC will strip her if she doesn't defend it for two years. Or just scrap the division all together.

How many fights does Cyborg have left on her contract?

Surely there's something more compelling than watching someone who got soundly outclassed and finished inside of a minute get an immediate rematch. It wasn't like she got flash KO'd, Nunes was landing flush power shots and combinations at will.

She's not worried about her power and fought 'hands down' but needs two years to prepare? Mmmkay. Don't let your mouth ruin your greatest accomplishment.

not-a-woman.jpg

Weird amount of hate for someone wanting to go back down to defend her original title in a division that actually has a top 10. Should everyone at 135 be put on hold until Nunes/Cyborg 2,3,4 is finished?
Immediate rematches are shit unless it’s a terrible decision. Let the losing fighter smash at least one fighter first to regain some confidence and work on some shit.

If you actually listen to the interview, you'll hear no disdain coming from Nunes, I figure she's more oblivious/socially awkward/language barrier. She's trying to be playful, it's just really lame. Happens a lot with the South American fighters actually.

Back