No one mentioned Chandler has more leverage than what people think

Interesting take, but I think you got it absolutely wrong here. If Conor thinks Chandler is his only winnable fight going into the Chandler fight, he should not even be having that fight. If that is the case, he should retire immediately... His ego is also too big to think that. I think that Conor thinks that he can even beat Makhachev

Chandler has dick for leverage and he becomes more irrelevant the longer he stays on the shelf.

Reactions: lsa
Chandler has no leverage against Conor. The only way he gets any is if he BEATS him.

Can't happen if Conor doesn't ever fight him though.

Is that even Conor’s toe? Conor taking a page out of Mushashi’s book and making his opponent wait. 4D chess from the GOAT. Chandler is fooked when this fight actually happens.

It's true that at this point there has been literally years of bullshit 'hype', a TUF season, and Chandler's name has been endlessly linked with Conor in the media.

While a bunch of people think they are being clever claiming that Chandler has literally zero impact on sales, they are almost certainly wrong. That's a shitload of marketing that's gone into this fight that they wouldn't want to flush down the toilet and start again.

But that's also not really 'leverage' in the sense that Chandler can do anything more than passively wait, it still doesn't give him any power.

They can put McGregor in there with a blowup doll and people would still buy tickets to see. McGregor’s name is what will put the butts in the seats, not who he’s fighting…

Also, blowup doll via decision.

Seriously, if Chandler decided to forgot about the Conor fight and moved on to something else, what would be left for Conor?

He is already scared about fighting Chandler, and won't take any little risk, knowing it's probably the most tailored made relevant opponent for him.
Match up wise it doesn't get better for conor. if he wont fight chandler he may as well up and quit. Chandler is an absolute monster and I see him as a top 10 all time LW across this sport. however, chandler is now over the hill and conor should have an age, size and reach advantage in this match up against a guy who is known for wreckless striking. I still WHOLLY believe that chandler would beat Conor, but on paper this match up plays perfectly for an textbook mcgregor performance (I believe the mcgregor who put that level of performance on is dead, personally.)

People call out Conor every day and they all have equal or greater entertainment value than Chandler has to offer. Besides being the perfect opponent for McGregor and thus why McGregor agreed to fight him, I don’t think he has any leverage. Chandler wasted good years here.

Him waiting for his money master is proof alone he has no leverage.

Seriously, if Chandler decided to forgot about the Conor fight and moved on to something else, what would be left for Conor?
Literally anything. You think his pro wrestling fan girls give a flying fuck who he actually fights?

They can put McGregor in there with a blowup doll and people would still buy tickets to see. McGregor’s name is what will put the butts in the seats, not who he’s fighting…

Also, blowup doll via decision.
<36>

I think OP is correct, except for if it was a title fight. Conor would fight Leon for the WW belt or Islam at LW. Or Max for the bmf, but probably request 170.

I don't think he takes any other dangerous fights.

Pretty much any fight in the top 5 is a dangerous fight. Especially after this much time off.

If he fights Chandler and wins, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't fight anyone else.

He is already scared about fighting Chandler, and won't take any little risk, knowing it's probably the most tailored made relevant opponent for him.

He won't fight Poirier, Oliveira, Islam, Leon, Colby, RDA, Gaethje, Topuria, Max, Volk, maybe Nate or Tony but it seems the hype would fall flat.
Honestly, Chandler is the ONLY current relevant UFC fighter that Conor would (maybe) be open to fight.

The way Conor is finding the smallest excuse, picture him fighting someone else...... He will need one more year of "special" preparation, getting injured again etc.. etc....
Not having a relevant fight with the UFC would be bad for his brand.

If I was Chandler, I would literally ask Conor to wire me 1M security deposit to wait for him, if not ......on to the next.

Nate vs. Connor 3 would be way bigger than Chandler.

Let's be honest. Chandler would beat him easily, and therefore it's not a good fight.

Conor vs Paddy the Baddy or Nate Diaz 3 would be more competitive and intriguing. A fight in which both competitors have a real chance of winning.

Max would demolish Conor in 2024, don't think Conor could cut to FW or LW again
It's for BMF, they'd just fight at 170 most likely.

It kind of does make sense. They can give McGregor some jabroni title potentially, and Max gets to beat up someone for a lot of money and avenge a loss.

Back