No Man's Sky v2a: Hatred Edition, Public Burning of NMS Thread (Critical Discussion of Marketing)

The problem is that review inflation has made it so B- or a 6-7/10 is considered garbage when it should be above average.

It depends on who you talk to. Take (just as an example) a COD fan bashing NMS - "LOL it got a 7 what garbage"

Then when the new COD comes out, say it gets a 7 - THEN the same guy says "7 isn't a bad score at all, it's still above average, I like it, fuck reviews because they don't matter".

Just so much hypocrisy in the gaming community.

The problem is that review inflation has made it so B- or a 6-7/10 is considered garbage when it should be above average.

I like no man's sky, it's neat, fun, and fairly rewarding but it has technical issues and they missed a few huge obvious points (IMO).

But I don't think this is a game anyone involved in should feel shamed about.

This is another issue 6-7 should be considered a good score but it's not. Pretty much anything below 8 is considered bad.

Holy crap someone finished the second galaxy already

Another note: Although I finished the first Galaxy, I sill never got the atlas pass. Even though the second Galaxy allowed me to choose atlas and I did, there is no atlas path, so I assume I'll never get an atlas pass. Got to an anomaly and Nada keeps giving me shit I already have, and Nada offers me nothing, do the motherfucker is living up to his name lol

Last edited:
I was leery about getting the game for the PC after seeing all the reviews on steam stating the game has a ton of problems that make it unplayable. I ended up buying it and shockingly the game runs without a hitch save for when I try to run it on my four monitors, the HUD stretches badly and looks like shit

Haven't found a new recipe in days.

I don't think I've ever had a game that I've tried so much to like. It was interesting at first, then became really boring really fast, then piqued my interest with the whole Atlas quest line... and now very stagnant. I find now I play occasionally just to get as many warps in to advance to the center.

I recall someone referring to No Man's Sky as a 'huge sandbox, with very little sand.' Fairly apt statement.

Haven't found a new recipe in days.

I don't think I've ever had a game that I've tried so much to like. It was interesting at first, then became really boring really fast, then piqued my interest with the whole Atlas quest line... and now very stagnant. I find now I play occasionally just to get as many warps in to advance to the center.

I recall someone referring to No Man's Sky as a 'huge sandbox, with very little sand.' Fairly apt statement.
I think the problem is in the vast randomly generated sameyness of the worlds. I never felt like I needed to stay on a world looking for something because I knew I could find it in any other planet

Read through that reddit post. Lol damn, Sean is the next Peter Molyneux

Read through that reddit post. Lol damn, Sean is the next Peter Molyneux

What in the fuck are you talking about .................................................................................................................................................

I give it a 6.5/10
-Very little story
-Not much to do in-game

The devs straight up lied about the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/
I have to admit that I was astonished the game sold this well. I thought it was just another hyped technological project that wouldn't interest most gamers because it was like, yeah, so it's the most sprawling sandbox ever achieved, but what's the actual game? It's wouldn't have been the first game to generate a ton of hype, but not much genuine interest.

Clearly I was wrong about the level of sincere interest in the gaming community, but I haven't seen anything yet to indicate I was wrong about the game.
From everything I had seen that is what I was expecting. I kept waiting, kept thinking, "Okay, but we all know you're gonna need battles." I appreciated that they were trying to build a game that wasn't necessarily about combat, but...there's a reason combat sells. Combat-oriented games don't just dominate sales, either, they also dominate GOTY awards and HoF nostalgia threads where gamers talk about their sacred memories.

Combat is just exciting. It's so damn exciting. And from the get-go I could see it was an afterthought to the ambition of creating a mega-sandbox with zero imperatives imposed on the player. That just never works. Missions and tasks interspersed with other forms of sporadic adversity (either planned or deliberately but inevitably random) are what make games interesting.

Objectives are the heart not just of videogames, but all games. Board games, carnival games, rec games, sports...all are based on completing objectives, not this idea that, "Here...go explore." Exploration is a mainstay of gaming, there's no doubt about that, but only as an aside. Bethesda games like Skyrim are gorgeous, so sometimes it's fun to just go run around looking at stuff, but if that's all the game offered, nobody would be playing it after a month. Even if the random beasts remained, if there was no reward to killing them, or if there was no consequence to ripping apart a certain camp or certain faction, then what would be the point? Where's the hunt?

Clearly I wasn't paying as close attention to all the promises, but even if they had delivered on all that stuff in the Reddit post, then what would be fundamentally different? All the stuff that seems to be missing that was promised would have only heightened the immersion, but would have done nothing to cure the lack of purpose.

I expect one of the most severe downturns of concurrent players on Steam after 1-month from the launch recorded in the history of the service.

And THIS is why I was asking these things in the first thread. Unfortunately it was seen as hostility but they were actual legitimate questions. What do you actually DO? And people were just straight up vehemently defending the game before it even came out so I said fuck it, I'll get my own answers. And I'm glad I did.

Another thing about the hype - right before release they said there was an update that DRASTICALLY changes the game. It wasn't just Hello Games saying that, it was review sites. I really don't see how anything could have drastically changed it into what it is now, because what it is now is sparse. Suffice to say I've taken reviews with a grain of salt, but I'm going to be WAY more cautious from now on when it comes to what they have to say about games.

It has its niche and it's still fun to me. I should be getting the plat in a day or two and after that I'll probably try Thief or something. But I'd say 40-50 hours spent on a $60 game was a good deal for me.

Patches out this week and next week for PS4 and PC aimed to fix bugs and crashes.

What's making me reluctant to play are the upgrade bugs where i'm supposed to have a particular rank of something only for it not to appear in my inventory. It means there's some systems i can't travel to as a result, so why persist in a broken game?

Wait, what kind of hole? You know if you jetpack boost while pressing against a flat wall it won't use any juice and you can go forever.
yeah found that out I didn't want to kill my self and lose all my loot at the bottom of a mine shaft.

What's making me reluctant to play are the upgrade bugs where i'm supposed to have a particular rank of something only for it not to appear in my inventory. It means there's some systems i can't travel to as a result, so why persist in a broken game?

That's a bug? I never had that happen once to me. Wasn't aware of it.

Back