Can Starfield Eventually Be Fixed and Redeemed Like Cyberpunk or No Man’s Sky?

Both Bethesda & Microsoft deserve to fail for this bullshit.

They're bitter because the best Bethesda-franchise game released wasn't developed by Bethesda.
lol, they must be bitter about that, considering how little time Obsidian had.

I've been going through Cyberpunk withdrawal. It's been hard to go to something else, so I turned to New Vegas, been a good 10 years since I played it. I'm barely using any mods, and it's still amazing.

Bethesda does spectacle better, but New Vegas is on a different level overall.

Running into the legion at Nipton for the first time still hits well.
R9TL.gif

M$ needs to put Obsidian on a new Fallout title. They really gonna rely on remasters and 76 updates while BGS takes 10 years to make the next FO game?

M$ needs to put Obsidian on a new Fallout title.

Microsoft own multiple SciFi & Fantasy franchises at this point, and they may be in the running to buy Dungeons & Dragons.

If Obsidian wants to make a fantasy/scifi RPG in the same spirit of Fallout or Elder Scrolls, it shouldn't be hard for them to get the go-ahead to start pre-production.

Dead game.

Cyberpunk's playerbase had dropped by 98.2% over this same period. No Man's Sky had dropped by 99.5%.

The percentile of player drop off the peak or average concurrent figures for single player games doesn't mean much unless it's placed into context.

Cyberpunk's playerbase had dropped by 98.2% over this same period. No Man's Sky had dropped by 99.5%.

The percentile of player drop of the peak or average concurrent figures for single player games doesn't mean much unless it's placed into context.

Maybe. More peope are playing Skyrim right now than Starfield.

Last edited:
Maybe. Mire peope are playing Skyrim right now than Starfield.
No comment on Starfield since I haven't played it but Skyrim's charts are interesting. There are two versions on Steam (excluding VR) and if you add them together it looks like Skyrim has maintained a player base of almost 40k since its initial peak in 2011. That's pretty crazy for such an old single player game.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 12-04-15 Comparing charts for 3 apps.png

Well it occurred to me after making the thread that they’ve kind of invested in “fixing” Fallout 76, so the precedent has already kind of been set by Bethesda to try and put in the elbow grease to improve on a game after release.
I was going to say this. They did a good job improving Fallout 76.

Maybe. More peope are playing Skyrim right now than Starfield.
No comment on Starfield since I haven't played it but Skyrim's charts are interesting. There are two versions on Steam (excluding VR) and if you add them together it looks like Skyrim has maintained a player base of almost 40k since its initial peak in 2011. That's pretty crazy for such an old single player game.

View attachment 1029077
Indeed. Skyrim is a massive outlier. There's a reason Bethesda has repackaged and sold it all over again like 6x. Not only is it the 7th bestselling game of all time, it also is probably the single most modded game of all time. That retains a playerbase.

Also, I just eyeballed the Top 50 most played games by concurrent users on Steam at this very moment, with Skyrim at #47, and I don't recognize a single other game from 2011 or earlier except for Garry's Mod.

I'm not defending a 3% retention rate after six months as strong or a good sign, btw, not even comparatively, if we're comparing this to the average, though I confess I don't know what that average is. But I'm sure it's a bit better than that. I mocked those who tried to defend No Man's Sky on these grounds. The game crashed spectacularly. But the premise of the thread asks if that game or Cyberpunk can redeem themselves, is it also possible for Starfield. I think some valid speculations have been made in this thread for why not, some reasonable arguments, but the crash from the peak player count isn't one of these, and I've just shown the forum why.

Microsoft own multiple SciFi & Fantasy franchises at this point, and they may be in the running to buy Dungeons & Dragons.

If Obsidian wants to make a fantasy/scifi RPG in the same spirit of Fallout or Elder Scrolls, it shouldn't be hard for them to get the go-ahead to start pre-production.
Fallout is begging for a big Triple A release, probably one of their few cash cow guarantees. Obsidian needs to do a New Vegas 2 asap.

Obsidian also has Outer Worlds 2 in development, but itnwill never like a Fallout game.

I was looking up FO 76 numbers. looks like it's making them good money.
Indeed. Skyrim is a massive outlier. There's a reason Bethesda has repackaged and sold it all over again like 6x. Not only is it the 7th bestselling game of all time, it also is probably the single most modded game of all time. That retains a playerbase.

Also, I just eyeballed the Top 50 most played games by concurrent users on Steam at this very moment, with Skyrim at #47, and I don't recognize a single other game from 2011 or earlier except for Garry's Mod.

I'm not defending a 3% retention rate after six months as strong or a good sign, btw, not even comparatively, if we're comparing this to the average, though I confess I don't know what that average is. But I'm sure it's a bit better than that. I mocked those who tried to defend No Man's Sky on these grounds. The game crashed spectacularly. But the premise of the thread asks if that game or Cyberpunk can redeem themselves, is it also possible for Starfield. I think some valid speculations have been made in this thread for why not, some reasonable arguments, but the crash from the peak player count isn't one of these, and I've just shown the forum why.
Mods really helped Skyrim. CDPR would be wise to release similar tools. They do have modding kits, but it's limited compared to Skyrim. They are changing engines too, might as well open the floodgates.

I personally know a ton of people who have modded skyrim and they are far less savvy than me, which isnt saying much lol. Bethesda made it easy, along with modders.

I don't know why more dev teams don't open their games up like that, or even use Steam workshop.

Mods really helped Skyrim.
Even without them, though, that game still provides endless fun. It's such a good formula, that never gets tiring. I could go and play the base 360 version of it, and still get lost in its world. Well, once Whiterun is over with anyways.

Its easy to miss. Something i did for consistently until the late 2010's. Team Fortress 2.

Fallout is begging for a big Triple A release, probably one of their few cash cow guarantees. Obsidian needs to do a New Vegas 2 asap.

That's on Bethesda, but Obsidian can start their own post-apocalyptic FPS RPG franchise. Fallout but with the serial number filled off.

Obsidian also has Outer Worlds 2 in development, but itnwill never like a Fallout game.

*Sigh* What a waste. I played it on PS4, only the first planet and a half, and called it quits.

Got to keep in mind most people at Obsidian from 10-14 years ago are no longer there, including Avellone.

I was looking up FO 76 numbers. looks like it's making them good money.

*Rolleyes*

Fools & their money...

That's on Bethesda, but Obsidian can start their own post-apocalyptic FPS RPG franchise. Fallout but with the serial number filled off.
M$ owns them, they can make it happen if they want. I'm not sure who's still there from New Vegas days, but I really enjoyed Pillars 2.
*Sigh* What a waste. I played it on PS4, only the first planet and a half, and called it quits.

Got to keep in mind most people at Obsidian from 10-14 years ago are no longer there, including Avellone.
Even though it was a huge let down, I didn't mind it. Being a game I'd only want to play once, it was perfect for Gamepass, as it only came to Epic game store on pc at launch.
Even without them, though, that game still provides endless fun. It's such a good formula, that never gets tiring. I could go and play the base 360 version of it, and still get lost in its world. Well, once Whiterun is over with anyways.
Yeah, they really perfected rewarding exploration in it. There's always something fun to do/see around every corner.

It's so easy to mod if you want to shake a few things up. Getting them working on consoles was a genius move too.

M$ owns them, they can make it happen if they want. I'm not sure who's still there from New Vegas days, but I really enjoyed Pillars 2.

With a few exceptions, Microsoft has proved they're terrible at producing quality 1st-party games. Its amazing how they've bought so many studios and they've become complete clusterfucks.

They built a studio from the ground-up with industry veterans specifically for the Perfect Dark remake....and 3 years & 2 months after the announcement trailer there's nothing since.
That screams 'development hell' to me.

Even though it was a huge let down, I didn't mind it. Being a game I'd only want to play once, it was perfect for Gamepass, as it only came to Epic game store on pc at launch.
Its lame that developers are knowingly making games for streaming platforms, and they come off as having minimal effort, at best.

Just like most Netflix movies.

On one side, at least there's not months of crunch & careers aren't ended... but at the same time excellent games forged in the fire of conflict aren't being made.

Oh well, I only play 5-6 games a year anyway, and haven't even picked up Baldur's Gate 3 yet.

I was going to say this. They did a good job improving Fallout 76.

I enjoyed Fallout 76 quite a bit. I don't think that diehard Fallout fans appreciate the story all that much, but the multiplayer aspect is fun for what it is. I played it on Game pass after the Wastelanders update though, which apparently vastly improved the game.

I just think that people are pissed with broken releases. I think it started with Fallout 76 and then the nail was really driven in by Cyberpunk. Hopefully it'll encourage developers to smarten their games up on launch.

With that said, I think that Starfield will retain a cult following, but will remain a blemish on Bethesdas record. Everything about the game is mediocre and bland, and half of that doesn't matter due to the twist at the end.

I bought Cyberpunk at launch for the Xbox One S and even though I refunded it due to it being utterly broken, I played through there entire first act and a chunk of the second, because I saw something special in it. The graphics and character models, at it's best, blew me away. It was extremely cinematic, even at the start. Starfield has none of that.

The percentile of player drop off the peak or average concurrent figures for single player games doesn't mean much unless it's placed into context.
Shh don't talk facts to people who just want to hate.

I put 40 hours into it and felt like I'd seen all it had to offer and was getting bored. I think it has fundamental issues, but I'm interested to go back in a year or two and see what the modders have done to it. I played with a bunch of mods installed and there are already decent improvements being made. I think they'll make bigger and better improvements than Bethesda will.
Exactly what I was going to post. That's the point where I realized I needed to move in in for now. It's so disappointing that they couldn't deliver in it, I was all in. Bought the X, LE headset, LE controller, premium/deluxe versions just to be let down.

Back