No Man's Sky v2a: Hatred Edition, Public Burning of NMS Thread (Critical Discussion of Marketing)

The extreme survival trophy has to be the most retarded trophy ever. 8 hours on a single planet without leaving. I'm doing it now, sitting stationery in a abandoned building staring at a wall, topping up the life support every so often. I'm at 8.3 days so far so i have fucking ages to wait. Think i'll do some house work lol

That's a bug? I never had that happen once to me. Wasn't aware of it.
Sadly, it's affected my game in the worst way, because i can't upgrade my hyperdrive anymore. I got the sigma upgrade and installed it, then i was rewarded with the tau upgrade but it never showed in my crafting menu. I got the tau upgrade again as a reward and it told me i already had it.

Nothing i can do, and i'm not sure how a patch can fix my broken game.

The extreme survival trophy has to be the most retarded trophy ever. 8 hours on a single planet without leaving. I'm doing it now, sitting stationery in a abandoned building staring at a wall, topping up the life support every so often. I'm at 8.3 days so far so i have fucking ages to wait. Think i'll do some house work lol
That's the only one I've got left. I'll do an hour here and there, put the ps4 to sleep and go to work or whatever.

Sadly, it's affected my game in the worst way, because i can't upgrade my hyperdrive anymore. I got the sigma upgrade and installed it, then i was rewarded with the tau upgrade but it never showed in my crafting menu. I got the tau upgrade again as a reward and it told me i already had it.

Nothing i can do, and i'm not sure how a patch can fix my broken game.
You're absolutely sure? You clicked on the warp tab in the create item menu and it's not there at all?

What was the coolest and most fun part of the "game"?

Space pirate battles? Discovering some obscure planet or element or hyperspace route? What is the appeal?
I like discovering new places...

i just had a download today i hope it fixes the crashes

I haven't downloaded this patch yet but have read people on reddit still complaining about crashes even after getting the patch. So looks like this weeks patch improves things, but next weeks patch will still be needed to improve things further.

What in the fuck are you talking about .................................................................................................................................................

Developer of Fable. Famous for over promising and not delivering.

So the hyperdrive upgrades are all random? No specific way to get them outside just talking to every Alien and searching every building?

Want to visit dem rare systems, there's a class O system right next to me =/.

I think the problem is in the vast randomly generated sameyness of the worlds. I never felt like I needed to stay on a world looking for something because I knew I could find it in any other planet

That's part of the problem I've had. In order to make sure you never get stranded, it seems that almost any material can be found in any solar system. It's nice because there's no consequence for jumping to a "barren" system, but it's not-so-nice because there's no tension about it. It's just like "welp, time to walk around and grind for awhile."

I like the game, it's relaxing, but I'd agree with anyone that said it's a pool a mile-wide and an inch deep.

So the hyperdrive upgrades are all random? No specific way to get them outside just talking to every Alien and searching every building?

Damaged Machinery caches. If you fly close to the ground you can spot the black smoke or flashing blue lights.

From everything I had seen that is what I was expecting. I kept waiting, kept thinking, "Okay, but we all know you're gonna need battles." I appreciated that they were trying to build a game that wasn't necessarily about combat, but...there's a reason combat sells. Combat-oriented games don't just dominate sales, either, they also dominate GOTY awards and HoF nostalgia threads where gamers talk about their sacred memories.

I think there's plenty of room in the gaming eco-system for non-combat games - they're more niche, but there's a market.

The problem here is that No Man's Sky was trying to be a swiss-army knife out of the gate - exploration, huge combat, building, survival, discovery (and the meta game, race to the center!) - but it only does each of those things *kind of*. Crafting is okay but not particularly rewarding. Combat is trivial and boring, surviving the elements is easy, and because of the size of the universe discovery feels meaningless outside of the in-game credits you get. It cost them more money than it needed to, and also caused them to distribute their resources and not fully flesh out any one system.

I actually had the thought the other day that the game would be *better* if they tore out all of the combat. It's boring, trivial, and only serves as a "fucking shit, now I have to deal with this" obstacle between you and the thing you actually want to do.

Even space-flight is sort of a weird space-simulator/arcade hybrid mechanic. It's a game that isn't sure what it's trying to be, imo. And that was the issue. Sean Murray had all of these fantastic ideas ahead of time, and I think he felt like he was just musing with the fans about **a** space game, and not necessarily the game he was going to make. The poster who compared him to Molyneux hit the nail on the head.

I think there's plenty of room in the gaming eco-system for non-combat games - they're more niche, but there's a market.

The problem here is that No Man's Sky was trying to be a swiss-army knife out of the gate - exploration, huge combat, building, survival, discovery (and the meta game, race to the center!) - but it only does each of those things *kind of*. Crafting is okay but not particularly rewarding. Combat is trivial and boring, surviving the elements is easy, and because of the size of the universe discovery feels meaningless outside of the in-game credits you get. It cost them more money than it needed to, and also caused them to distribute their resources and not fully flesh out any one system.

I actually had the thought the other day that the game would be *better* if they tore out all of the combat. It's boring, trivial, and only serves as a "fucking shit, now I have to deal with this" obstacle between you and the thing you actually want to do.

Even space-flight is sort of a weird space-simulator/arcade hybrid mechanic. It's a game that isn't sure what it's trying to be, imo. And that was the issue. Sean Murray had all of these fantastic ideas ahead of time, and I think he felt like he was just musing with the fans about **a** space game, and not necessarily the game he was going to make. The poster who compared him to Molyneux hit the nail on the head.
I agree about the space pirates... its just annoying... the combat isnt fun.. I dont mind when animals attack you though on a planet.

Want to visit dem rare systems, there's a class O system right next to me =/.

I've gotten a few from crashed ship sites. There is usually a broken piece of machinery that will give you an upgrade recipe if you solve the code or whatever it asks you.

Ok...

Not a single new blue print in about 4 days.

Zero rewards, other than gathering materials to build warp goo.

Still a ways to go.

How much of a benefit is using black holes to reach the center? I sometimes think I'm going in the wrong direction... do all black holes point in the right direction?

Ok, looks like with the extreme survival achievement you can close the game and play something else or put the ps4 to sleep and come back later and it will pick up where you left off instead of starting all over. Just make sure you save at beacons to create restore points and don't board your ship.

I just tried this and it worked. Doesn't change how long it takes but at least you can break it up.

My brother just thought of something kinda nifty that actually works - if you're in a bad storm without a shield or shelter nearby, you can create your own shelter by firing grenades at a wall and camping out in the hole.

Finally played for a few hours last night. Decided to forgo the Atlas quest and just fart around at my convenience. The scope is pretty difficult to comprehend. The feeling of flying into a new planet's atmosphere and waiting to see what's in store is pretty incredible. Quick annoyance is definitely the limited inventory. Especially when you're someone like me who likes to horde things just in case you might need something down the road. I'd also like a quicker way of traversing a planet when on foot. The balance between wanting to get out and wander but not getting too far from your ship is a tight one.

The good has outweighed the bad so far but the experience is definitely unique. Hopping into my spaceship, flying out of the atmosphere and into space to explore is one of the more memorable moments I've had in a game.

Back