No Limit Hold 'Em Poker Discussion

Played for first time in a while yesterday.

Grinded 300 to 1000 over about 5 hours. Then lost it all with KK to AK and AK in 3-way all in pre when the only bigger stack called my 6-bet.

Rebought for 500 and tripled up on the second hand when I 5 bet all in QQ pre and got called by the same 2 players who had AA and AK.

Funny old game.

Played for first time in a while yesterday.

Grinded 300 to 1000 over about 5 hours. Then lost it all with KK to AK and AK in 3-way all in pre when the only bigger stack called my 6-bet.

Rebought for 500 and tripled up on the second hand when I 5 bet all in QQ pre and got called by the same 2 players who had AA and AK.

Funny old game.

friggin A… I’d be full tilting like crazy…

keep ‘em coming. You are inspiring me to make a comeback to live poker. I am looking forward to it.. it’s been at least 4+ years I think…

friggin A… I’d be full tilting like crazy…

keep ‘em coming. You are inspiring me to make a comeback to live poker. I am looking forward to it.. it’s been at least 4+ years I think…

95% of live games are way easier than online in 2022, imo.

Played 1/2 NL Omaha online a couple nights ago. Seemed I missed every draw or got sucked out on all night. Lost $400 on the night.

Two hands stand out...

1. Holding AA45. Call $8 preflop raise out of position, 3 way to the flop. Flop A93 rainbow. Flop top set & check to raiser who overbets $39. I figure he's got bottom set or 2 pair & I'll get a call, so I jam for about $80, player 2 folds & as predicted raiser snap calls. He shows 936Q.
Turn & river are the last two 3's for quads

2. Dealt 5s5c7s7c on button. I raise to $8, 2 calls. Flop 3s6s8c, open ended + spade draw + 2 pocket pairs so I bet $20. Get a fold & a call. Turn is 3c, now I have club draw as well + my pocket pairs now complete full houses if they hit...any 4, any 5, any 7, any 9, any spade, any club. Player checks, I jam my last $64 hoping for a fold but happy to chase one of my 20+ outs. He waits til last second & calls with TTA2...???????????...river is Qd

FML

Played 1/2 NL Omaha online a couple nights ago. Seemed I missed every draw or got sucked out on all night. Lost $400 on the night.

Two hands stand out...

1. Holding AA45. Call $8 preflop raise out of position, 3 way to the flop. Flop A93 rainbow. Flop top set & check to raiser who overbets $39. I figure he's got bottom set or 2 pair & I'll get a call, so I jam for about $80, player 2 folds & as predicted raiser snap calls. He shows 936Q.

2. Dealt 5s5c7s7c on button. I raise to $8, 2 calls. Flop 3s6s8c, open ended + spade draw + 2 pocket pairs so I bet $20. Get a fold & a call. Turn is 3c, now I have club draw as well + my pocket pairs now complete full houses if they hit...any 4, any 5, any 7, any 9, any spade, any club. Player checks, I jam my last $64 hoping for a fold but happy to chase one of my 20+ outs. He waits til last second & calls with TTA2...???????????...river is Qd

FML

I didn't even know you could play no limit Omaha! Pot limit can be tilting enough. NL seems like it should not work, and that playing anything other than an absolute premium is wrong.

Seems your playing less than $100 (50bb)? On a swingy game it's going to be hard to get folds (which can work both ways)

1. Surely you should never flat pre with AAxx???? Almost like the only right play is just to go all in, no? Obviously unlucky here, but if you're playing with people who desperately want to get their stack in with bottom 2 pair, you've got the right game. He probably thought no way you have AA, he blocks 99 and 33 so not much to worry about........and playing short stacked omaha, you're always going to get looser opponents.

2. Obviously you got unlucky in this specific situation, and that guys play is literally 0/10, but you could easily be 0%-10% on the turn there, and very few of your "20+ outs" are anything like to the nuts, so your logic there is way off. Low pairs, low flushes and low straights are notoriously hands to avoid in Omaha (pot-limit at least), and you have them all covered here.

Always preffered limit cash games to no limit.

But I was damn good at no limit tournament style

Two hands stand out...

FML
1. Damn that's brutal. Nothing you could do about it though. Anyone who flops A93 rainbow and has pocket aces I mean your money is going to go in. There's no doubt about it.
2. PLO is a game of the nuts. Playing with 5577ds isn't as great as it seems when playing with 5 opponents or more. In general you have to be careful someone can easily out flush you or out straight you. Like say your 9 comes on the turn giving you a straight. An opponent could have 7 10 and would beat you.

Last edited:
1. Damn that's brutal. Nothing you could do about it though. Anyone who flops A93 rainbow and has pocket aces I mean your money is going to go in. There's no doubt about it.

.....apart from limping in pre-flop. Unlucky in this instance, sure, but that has to be poor play.

2. PLO is a game of the nuts. Playing with 5577ds isn't as great as it seems when playing with 5 opponents or more. In general you have to be careful someone can easily out flush you or out straight you. Like say your 9 comes on the turn giving you a straight. An opponent could have 7 10 and would beat you.

Exactly what I said, yeah. Could even be drawing dead, already. Drawing to flushes and straights on a paired board in holdem is dangerous, in omaha it is suicide (7 hi makes it even worse)

Both cases opponents played unbelievably bad (to the point I find it hard to believe (especially 2), but will give the guy benefit of the doubt), but our hero played bad too, imo.

I've been playing online throughout the last 4 years on Ignition Poker. It sucks, because you cannot note and track the fish. You can track someone in a tournament, but only that tournament, or in a cash game, but only in that cash game as a new # is generated for each new event you participate in. However, for a skilled player, the games have been not too tough to beat.

I was ranked a top player (net earnings) at Paradise Poker from 2004 and years on after that. Black Friday was a huge hit on me. I was clearing on average over $100K a year extra with online poker. I had a big finish in the Masters III Tournament in Tahiti with Paradise Poker for $164K on that single tournament. I should have won, but took down 2nd. I should have grinded heads up, but knew I had my opponent on a tell and then he sucked out hard on an all in trap. I have other big wins, but that one was the biggest take for me. I've played the WSOP twice and cashed once, but it was a low end cash.

13557676_10206857833419464_9171780919559338759_n.jpg

That's the WSOP. I only wear shades if 3 or more at the table are wearing them. Ask me about the biggest tell in poker I've never seen in a book.

I come from a Poker family with my mom paying for 1/2 my college on poker. My Uncle is well known in the South. It's been a huge advantage to be able to go over hands and situations with him for decades. I have tons of poker stories. I'll play No Limit, High Limit, PLO, and even Razz (Low Ball).

I'll share one of the last times I played Limit that was under $8/$16. The game was $2/$4 Texas Chase Em. I had been holding my own, but not making many gains as I had been chased down a few times against the Math, and that's how it goes, but variance is a real thing and time would set things right in an honest game. I did notice two Asian dudes in too many pots together with raise, re-raise, cap going on, but only ever seeing one or the other's hands. I knew they had some sort of signals and cheating going on, but had not figure out their system. They were seated in near opposite seats. I was dealt Q J suited in mid position. When both of them came into the hand and it got capped, I knew one of them had a big starting hand. As it played out, I caught a gut shot on the turn on an unpaired board with the potential of a backdoor flush possible after the turn. As it came to the river, which was a dead card, the betting went Villain 1 bet, me raise, Villain 2 raise, and capped.

Villain 2 turned over his trip K's and I turned over my straight. I had second pair on the flop with a Q on the board, but chased just to see if I could nail these two fucks and got there. When Villain 1 mucks his cards, I did the unthinkable and grabbed them and flipped them over. I was spot on. The fucking cheater had 3 8 off, with none of the board. He had been betting and raising to the final river, without any hope of hitting anything. The whole table gasped. I think 1/2 did at my move, but the other 1/2 realized what they just witnessed. Villain 1 freaks out.... "You can't do that!"

I said, "you're right", let's call the floor manager and I did as did the dealer. They tried to rack their chips and bail, but were far too slow and got tossed. I still got admonished by the Floor, but was allowed to remain. The rest of the table started asking me when I figured it out. I told them on that hand, but that was a lie. I had known for about 20 minutes for sure and was waiting for a chance to get max value. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't make my hand. Probably fold and grumble.

I can share the time I ran over Ben Afleck in a tournament at the Bike as he sat to my immediate Left and stealing blinds is my thing, especially when I have a bigger stack. My mom, who was in the tournament as well was pleased and not pleased.... lol

Don't know if I told this one before but if I have, apologies...

I was stationed overseas and the NCO club had a tournament every weekend. I was a club member so the entry was already paid for and I'd been playing for awhile. I had gotten pretty good, the sharks knew me and I knew them.

My brother-in-law came to visit from Europe and brought his buddy with him, so, they stayed with us. He said he played poker and I said "Well, take a day off from shopping (he and my brother-in-law were younger guys and wanted fresh clothes and Jordans) and we'll hit the game." He did and I paid his entry and sat down.

There were around 12 tables of around 8 to 9 people each. We were both seated at different tables and we'd gone deep into the tourney. Final table, he's there and has a nice stack as did I. I drew KK off and raised the pot, he calls as do two others. Flop goes down, no face cards or connectors, I still have KK, I raise, he re-raises, the two others NOPE outta the pot. I shove. He calls...

He shows, AA! I'm using my "ONE TIME!" for another K, but the turn and river were deaf to my pleas.... :) Now he has the chip lead and I'm on the rail. He goes on to CRUSH everyone else and wins the whole ball of wax.

I said, "What are you going to do now?" He says, "Going shopping (with my brother-in-law and my wife and my son). The Jordans you all can get here, we can't get in Europe. It's a different market, so when we step into the club, we'll have the freshest gear!"

<seedat>

Last edited:
Villain 2 turned over his trip K's and I turned over my straight. I had second pair on the flop with a Q on the board, but chased just to see if I could nail these two fucks and got there. When Villain 1 mucks his cards, I did the unthinkable and grabbed them and flipped them over. I was spot on. The fucking cheater had 3 8 off, with none of the board. He had been betting and raising to the final river, without any hope of hitting anything. The whole table gasped. I think 1/2 did at my move, but the other 1/2 realized what they just witnessed. Villain 1 freaks out.... "You can't do that!"

Only time I ever did this when I got into a 3-way raising war pre with KK against 2 guys who were good friends and always struck me as shady.

I eventually folded to the 6 bet, then one of the other guys tanked for a good 3 minutes before folding. Don't know why but it felt off and I flipped his cards, and it was AA.

Was a bit of chaos and the table got shut down, but none of us were punished.

Still not exactly sure what went down, tbh, but flipping over a mucked hand is still one of the obvious no-nos in poker, regardless.

Only time I ever did this when I got into a 3-way raising war pre with KK against 2 guys who were good friends and always struck me as shady.

I eventually folded to the 6 bet, then one of the other guys tanked for a good 3 minutes before folding. Don't know why but it felt off and I flipped his cards, and it was AA.

Was a bit of chaos and the table got shut down, but none of us were punished.

Still not exactly sure what went down, tbh, but flipping over a mucked hand is still one of the obvious no-nos in poker, regardless.

Yes. We need to be pretty damn sure before pulling this move and the cards you flip better not make sense to the rest of the players.... or you done fucked up.

Him folding AA tells everyone that these two were teaming and it was time for the other guy to get paid or had made less on the night. It makes their "split" easier.

I folded AA once pre-flop! Why? I was at a final table with 8 Left and I was the short stack... in a bad way, less than 10 BB. Fortunately, I was also the Button. By the time it got to me 5 of the players were ALL IN, including the Big Stack who was playing tight. My thought was, if this dude actually wins the hand, I go from 8th to 4th and a pay jump of over $6,000. It was online. Sure as shit, the Big Stack had JJ and nailed a J on the Flop and it was over for the rest of them. The very next hand Mr. 3rd place goes all in with AQ and gets called by 2nd Place (in chips) with 99. AQ did not improve. I couldn't believe I was sitting in 3rd place and cashed waaaaaay more than I would have if I had played those rockets.

Yes. We need to be pretty damn sure before pulling this move and the cards you flip better not make sense to the rest of the players.... or you done fucked up.

Him folding AA tells everyone that these two were teaming and it was time for the other guy to get paid or had made less on the night. It makes their "split" easier.

I folded AA once pre-flop! Why? I was at a final table with 8 Left and I was the short stack... in a bad way, less than 10 BB. Fortunately, I was also the Button. By the time it got to me 5 of the players were ALL IN, including the Big Stack who was playing tight. My thought was, if this dude actually wins the hand, I go from 8th to 4th and a pay jump of over $6,000. It was online. Sure as shit, the Big Stack had JJ and nailed a J on the Flop and it was over for the rest of them. The very next hand Mr. 3rd place goes all in with AQ and gets called by 2nd Place (in chips) with 99. AQ did not improve. I couldn't believe I was sitting in 3rd place and cashed waaaaaay more than I would have if I had played those rockets.

LEGEND.

source.gif

I salute you. I don't think I'd have to discipline to chuck those in

I salute you. I don't think I'd have to discipline to chuck those in

What was funny was that I did it pretty fast, but I had a lot of time to consider it as a late actor in the pre-flop play. By the time it was my turn to act, I had the math in my head that I was less than 25% to win the hand. What also helped was the Big Stack getting it all in and knowing he was tight as a player. He was risking the chip lead in a big way and went with it. I thought he had QQ, KK, AK, and was actually a bit surprised to see JJ, but then elated when he nailed the flop. I was thinking the Big Flop may not win the hand, but his presence basically guaranteed me a pay jump or two... or three... or... BINGO. I was incredibly fortunate. Can you imagine how pissed I would have been to see an A on that flop? lol... I actually don't get too emotional over poker, it helps to stay cool.

Here's one of my funniest events.

I was playing a Caesars in Las Vegas. It was a max $1K buy in 2/5 NL that played way more like a 5/10 NL. Long story short, I was doing well and needling this New Jersey / New York guy with a fine accent that was a total dick. He had lots of money, and played terrible, so yeah... Fish on the table. He was pissed at me because I had picked him off on bluffs more than once and slow played him on some big hands that he fell for. He really was a dick. I needed a break and took a walk around to see all the call girls hanging on the old men (it's a thing at Caesars and fun to watch). I made it to the bathroom and took a piss. I went to the sink and was washing my hands when a stall flushed and who comes out? Mr. Dick. He proceeds to call me an asshole, which was brave, because he really doesn't know me and I had size on the manlet. I laughed it off and told him I appreciated his contributions to my stack. He then did the unthinkable, he kept walking ignoring the sinks. WTF? We all handle the same chips and cards. Motherfucker. I yelled at him to come back, but he ignored me.

I get back to the table to find a guy I have played with often that has filled the seat next to me. He's a pro-grinder (Asian dude) and pretty cool. I start racking my chips to leave and Asian guy says, "You leaving? What? You want no part of this?". I smiled and said, "I would like your chips, but I don't want any of Mr. Asswipe's chips" and gestured to Mr. Dick.

"Why not?"

I then proceeded to share my bathroom experience and the whole table, including the dealer were like.... "AWWWWWWHHHH... no." They were now all looking at Mr. Dick as I walked away with my win. I cashed out and kept it together until I had a little distance from the poker room, but then sat down and laughed. I saw a few of the players exit, including Mr. Dick. I hope he went to wash his hands, but I have a feeling he quit from shame.

What was funny was that I did it pretty fast, but I had a lot of time to consider it as a late actor in the pre-flop play. By the time it was my turn to act, I had the math in my head that I was less than 25% to win the hand. What also helped was the Big Stack getting it all in and knowing he was tight as a player. He was risking the chip lead in a big way and went with it. I thought he had QQ, KK, AK, and was actually a bit surprised to see JJ, but then elated when he nailed the flop. I was thinking the Big Flop may not win the hand, but his presence basically guaranteed me a pay jump or two... or three... or... BINGO. I was incredibly fortunate. Can you imagine how pissed I would have been to see an A on that flop? lol... I actually don't get too emotional over poker, it helps to stay cool.

But you getting a A on the flop would've likely meant less players hitting the rail on that hand given that you were the short stack

But you getting a A on the flop would've likely meant less players hitting the rail on that hand given that you were the short stack

Correct. This was also part of the calculus in the fold. As you clearly get... it's all about moving up in pay when at a final table, unless it's a WSOP or WTP event, where I can see the argument for the win as it's an epic accomplishment. I was within a hand of winning Paradise Poker's Masters tournament. I was playing for the $, not the win as I knew if I told someone about it, they would be .... what tournament?

As a note on the Paradise Poker final table (Tahiti), we had struck a deal and had added together 1st and 2nd place, then too out $30K which we were playing for. The worst I was getting was $164K.... which is what I got for 2nd. Most un-televised final tables have deals struck. Most people likely don't know that.

Correct. This was also part of the calculus in the fold. As you clearly get... it's all about moving up in pay when at a final table, unless it's a WSOP or WTP event, where I can see the argument for the win as it's an epic accomplishment. I was within a hand of winning Paradise Poker's Masters tournament. I was playing for the $, not the win as I knew if I told someone about it, they would be .... what tournament?

As a note on the Paradise Poker final table (Tahiti), we had struck a deal and had added together 1st and 2nd place, then too out $30K which we were playing for. The worst I was getting was $164K.... which is what I got for 2nd. Most un-televised final tables have deals struck. Most people likely don't know that.

That's tournament and depends on the structure. I remember the example about 10 years ago when Gus Hansen went all in blind over and over again in some round robin tournament because he didn't really have a chance to progress so he might as well have fun. The rest of the table needed others to drop to progress so they folded no matter what.

That's tournament and depends on the structure. I remember the example about 10 years ago when Gus Hansen went all in blind over and over again in some round robin tournament because he didn't really have a chance to progress so he might as well have fun. The rest of the table needed others to drop to progress so they folded no matter what.

If you are in a tournament and you have less than 10X the BB, you should be shoving on all unopened pots no matter position or your hand. Gus is an amazing player, but that dude swings too hard for my taste when he does have a solid stack. I know he went bust on his bankroll at least a few times.

I was playing in a shit casino in Compton. I think it was called Crystal? I only went once. Anyways, I went for their tournament and made the final table. I was short stacked with just over 10X as the blinds came towards me. UTG I acted like I looked at my cards, I really didn't, and I shoved. The action folds around to the BB and this guy has me covered by about 2X. He struggles for nearly 4 minutes and finally makes the call and flips over AJ off. WTF? That's an instacall? Anyways, I flip over my hand to reveal J4 Spades. Damn... I am crushed. Except, I flopped two spades and rivered the final spade. The guy I beat went crazy. He was so upset. He kept going on and on about what a donk I am. Then he gets knocked out a few hands later and then straight up insults me with what a "fucking idiot asshole" I am. Well, an old Black dude at the table finally can't take it. He was quiet throughout. I personally don't give a shit. But, the old man is all (paraphrase, but close), "look dumbass, that man just gave you a poker lesson and you're too stupid to figure it out. If you don't know why his play was smart, you were lucky to make it to this final table." Sadly, only a few people understood the move, which is shocking. For anyone that doesn't get it, bottom line, you don't wait for the blinds, because all you are doing is winning your own $ back. There's a bit more to it, but that's enough for any logical mind. You better get it all in before the blinds get to you, or you truly are the idiot.

Back