Nicky rod shedding light on DDS split.

Obviously it is harder now then when I was coming up because you have people strictly only doing bjj and nothing else. I just believe we should promote the youngsters who are doing other things plus bjj.

They do sometimes. Mikey was in college while he was winning all those titles and he was studying to be a lawyer, but I don't know if he changed his mind or is just postponing it to do BJJ. His sister won her world title while she was in law school. She competed yesterday in the big WNO tournament and got 3rd even though she is now a full time lawyer. Flo did a feature on Grace Gundrum where she talked about going to school for computer science, working for some microchip company and training. She just got 2nd place yesterday. Shane Jamil Hill Taylor also won his world championship while going to college and I think he has graduated now.

I think the biggest thing is age. People who start young are already set skill-wise by the time they get their blackbelt, so they only need to work on things like strategy and getting stronger. They can do that while working or going to school. If you start at 25 you need to make up for all those hours you lost and time isn't on your side. The Ruotolo borthers can work at McDonalds 40 hours a week and still get 2nd or 3rd in major tournaments. That said I believe together the brothers won $65,000 this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared 6 figures from grappling this year. I'm glad people are finally able to make a living from grappling.

It's funny how people speculate about something they don't know squat about.
I remember that when it was announced, the number one theory about the split I read here and on Reddit was Garry Tonon wanting to do his mma thing, meanwhile Garry was posting ass pics on Instagram.

They could all be trolling for what we know, and creating buzz about nothing, since the easiest way to get rich these days is to be popular.
It could be like Gordon numerous "retirements", nobody sane believe that shit.

If there is some kind of split, it is probably amicable or money related.
In my life experience, money is the single biggest factor that can tear apart long time relationships, and even family bonds.
Maybe they are getting too big to stay under one roof, so they are creating 2 teams so everybody can eat, no biggie.

Imagine thinking Nicky Ryan split from his brother because he is too "toxic", makes no sense.
Gordon has been "toxic" since day 1, when he put that goofy Burger King crown and talked shit about everybody.

Maybe because Nicky was very young. Obviously Nicky is getting older and seeing things he may not agree with. Now that their father has passed, I'm sure their relationship has gotten harder. Nicky didn't stay with Ryan. I don't care how you slice it, something is up.

Never liked this meathead. It’s always weird when a new purplebelt is putting out instructionals. Touring around giving seminars. Like, calm down dude. Unless you really have discovered or mastered some part of the game. I get it, he’s just chasing clout & money. It’s still lame though. And now to be the first one to come out & talk shit about the captain of the team that made you, where the complaints are pretty vague & don’t seem to matter much… it just smacks of a schmuck

Someone earlier mentioned moving to Austin and it reminded me of a guy i met/trained with when i first got into bjj 15 years ago. This guy and I were talking before class started and he was saying how he quit his job and moved back into his parents house to train bjj full time. I must have looked at him sideways because he felt the need to explain why Lol I said man you're 30 years old and you have a son.... what in the world!

Yeah that's a good point, I didn't even think about that. My coach was wanting me and another guy to move into the gym after seeing that, I was like nah I'm gonna stay in my house lol

I wonder what those guys even do all day, I get training professionally takes a lot of time, but if they train 8 hours a day what do they do with the other 8 hours? Play video games or something?

Can't speak for the daisy guys, but in my experience with athletes it's a lot food prep / eating / rest (+ s&c and pt time) when not on training time with a bit of room for family time or party time but not a ton.

Having a wife / gf who can cook well and portion or a chef / dietician frees up more time for family or training / s&c / pt.

Yeah man, it seems stressful as fuck lol

Currently trying to decide whether I should stay in my home town and play it safe, or try to move to Austin to train with Danaher and Gordon, and keep pursuing BJJ... it just seems really hard to make money in it. I'm 24 now, pretty scary thought to be 30 without a stable career.
That's a huge gamble. Almost everyone left the DDS and Gordon is sick.

Ya deblass is pretty fake. The dude acts humble one second, the next he's acting like Gordon . He actually made a video addressing his behavior. He said he's human and tries to be better ever day but will continue to make mistakes..

So pretty has an built in excuse Everytime someone calls him out for trying to act humble lol.
Deblass is violent trash. Somehow I manage to avoid such behavior despite my rep.

link to the vid?

Deblass is violent trash. Somehow I manage to avoid such behavior despite my rep.

link to the vid?

It was on IG his page. Don't know if it's still up. It was a while ago when I saw it .

Maybe because Nicky was very young. Obviously Nicky is getting older and seeing things he may not agree with. Now that their father has passed, I'm sure their relationship has gotten harder. Nicky didn't stay with Ryan. I don't care how you slice it, something is up.
It really could be nothing is up and he just wants to be his own man.

I'm a huge Gordon/John fan, I wonder specifically what Gordon did that pissed everyone off so much. And if Gordon is in the wrong, why did Danaher stick with him?

Thoughts @kenetics ?

Well Danaher going to stay with him because he's a cash cow and brings alot of money and recognition .

He is the gun slinger for John - since john himself cannot compete and showcase his knowledge Gordon is basically his vessel.

And agreed Gordon is such a childish moron and would do well to maybe go back to school and get an education so he can actually make sense when he goes off on social media.

Last edited:
It really could be nothing is up and he just wants to be his own man.

I doubt it. He can still be his own man staying with his bro. There in different weight classes. I'm sure the truth will come out. But from the sounds of it , the b team wants to keep him from being poisened .

I doubt it. He can still be his own man staying with his bro. There in different weight classes. I'm sure the truth will come out. But from the sounds of it , the b team wants to keep him from being poisened .
That's not necessarily true at all. He might very well feel that he's still in his shadow, that he isn't calling his own shots with his training, etc. Its pretty natural to want to move out from under the wing of a father figure or an older brother.

That's not necessarily true at all. He might very well feel that he's still in his shadow, that he isn't calling his own shots with his training, etc. Its pretty natural to want to move out from under the wing of a father figure or an older brother.

Will see.

Back