Nicky rod shedding light on DDS split.

Agree. I run a mma school. The hobbyists and family's are what pays the bills.
(Respectfully)Do the mma fighters pay much of the bills? As in when they fight at a pro level, does a certain amount go towards the gym?

(Respectfully)Do the mma fighters pay much of the bills? As in when they fight at a pro level, does a certain amount go towards the gym?

I don't charge our fighter for any winnings. They are responsible to pay their monthly. Most winning at the small pro shows are small to begin with .

We do not take any fighters who cant simply pay their monthly. So many wannabe fighters never actual fight and tried to get free training trying to say they would pay out their future purse.

As a buisness owner I informed them that the gym runs on consistent payments from our students and their no different .

Last edited:
Not sure where this elitism comes from with bjj.

There is nothing wrong with being an elite level competitor.

Just as there is nothing wrong with being a hobbyist with a full time job, family, other activities.
Where is it from? I just want to compete at a good level while having a real job.
Our facility is utter shit (a lot worse then Daisy Fresh) so I assume it's just more profit rather than paying the bills.
In real sports people who are just lazy and want to sit out rolls or want to be entertained by having fresh technique sets every week instead of working on developing some skills would just quit/get thrown out of the team.

Not sure where this elitism comes from with bjj.

There is nothing wrong with being an elite level competitor.

Just as there is nothing wrong with being a hobbyist with a full time job, family, other activities.

Yup, I'm just a humble teacher learning BJJ so that I don't get beat up by the HS kids I teach. While I deeply respect the top BJJ guys, I could never do what they do. I got a wife and kids to worry about.

Where is it from? I just want to compete at a good level while having a real job.
Our facility is utter shit (a lot worse then Daisy Fresh) so I assume it's just more profit rather than paying the bills.
In real sports people who are just lazy and want to sit out rolls or want to be entertained by having fresh technique sets every week instead of working on developing some skills would just quit/get thrown out of the team.
There is good level then there is Andrew Wiltse level.

Go and tell your coach that your school/facility is shit and that bjj is not a real sport. Quit your job and go "oss" your way to a bjj career.

If it works out, awesome, more power to you. I would genuinely be happy for you.

Like it or not, people don't get kicked out of martial arts schools/gyms, not without being a complete asshole. Its part of the appeal; most schools are open to almost anyone. That inclusivity not only keeps the lights on and doors open; it makes the environment and culture a place for people to want to be. There are schools with classes for the more competitive minded.

Sounds like you're not happy with your school. Don't blame it on hobbyists. We can't all be Danaher students or Rodolfo Vieras.

Last edited:
Now everyone can make a lot more money. It’s a fake feud. The Ryan brothers aren’t feudin. Same city two gyms more money and more recognition for the B team.

Now everyone can make a lot more money. It’s a fake feud. The Ryan brothers aren’t feudin. Same city two gyms more money and more recognition for the B team.
IDK man, it sounds kinda legit, I've noticed Gordon's popularity seems to have taken a real hit since the split as well as Danaher. If this was all a marketing stunt, it's really backfiring.

Back