newtown family sues school for 100 million dollars

Here we go, jumping to conclusions.

They are not "suing the school". They are suing "the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner". Are all of these state, or are some federal? Sounds to me like their aim is to hold the government accountable.

And just to clear something up (mentioned earlier in the thread), they are not taking money away from the other victims. If they are successful, every one of the other victims will be able to follow them. It's a test case.

Of course it's going to be $100 million. You seek humongous damages, and then the court decides the appropriate amount, that's just how these things work.

And this isn't without merit. The authorities have a duty of care towards the children. If a child had fallen over on an unsafe playground with holes in the ground, you bet your ass parents would sue. I think there's politics to this suit, saying that it's reasonably foreseeable in the current society that a gunman would walk into a school and start shooting, and it's the society (ie the government) that is accountable. You can say "it's a madman" all you like, but if you build a school next to a max security facility and don't do anything to protect children, again, lawsuit.

I'd be fricken angry as a parent if the unspeakable happened. And you're damn right I would be looking to apportion blame.

That pretty much makes you a giant asshole doesn't it?

And if this case wasn't "reasonably foreseeable", there will definitely come a time when others will be. Shootings keep happening, to not be expecting the next one is not reasonable.

How broad or narrow that should be - eg you can expect a shooting at school if nothing is done/you can expect a shooting in any public place if nothing is done/etc - that's up to the courts and juries of our peers and such.

I'm guessing the donations will be pretty significant. I've already donated to three different funds. That evil bitch who scammed people saying her kid died deserves a place in hell along with the 5 yeas she is facing.

This a black swan event. School shootings are incredibly rare and unpredictable. School should not be held accountable anymore than any other place should be if some nut goes crazy.

That's not a nice thing to say.

Well it's a lot nicer than filing a giant lawsuit like this, or supporting it. This isn't being handled appropriately, this is a goddamn circus. It's entirely disrespectful to everybody involved.

That pretty much makes you a giant asshole doesn't it?

You do some meditation on what it would be like knowing that your 6yo is forever fucking scarred with ptsd and god knows what else and then see if you think the parents are "scum of the earth" like people in this thread seem to think. It's okay to fucking sue cos you spilled some coffee in your lap, but suing over a tragedy makes someone a giant asshole.

And all lawsuits are giant when filed. That's how the system works, princess.

You do some meditation on what it would be like knowing that your 6yo is forever fucking scarred with ptsd and god knows what else and then see if you think the parents are "scum of the earth" like people in this thread seem to think. It's okay to fucking sue cos you spilled some coffee in your lap, but suing over a tragedy makes someone a giant asshole.

Nice straw man. I don't recall anybody saying anything about suing over coffee or thinking it is acceptable.

Strange way to mourn isn't it? I guess we all mourn in different ways. Some of us look to prayer, or tears, or fellowship, and some of us just hold it in. Apparently, some of us file huge lawsuits and politicize tragedy.

And the coffee case is not some throwaway shit, and I've spent a fuckton of time reading up on it. I think that one was legit. I'm not letting you get away with justifying this horse shit by using that suit.

tumblr_me7huzu1De1qmbcioo1_1280.jpg

100 mil for fucking words!!!!!!!

I am officially gotten to. Fuck this planet. Fuck all humans. I'm out.

So the community gets its children killed and now these people wanna rob the community for 100 million via taxpayers money? Nice.

Strange way to mourn isn't it? I guess we all mourn in different ways. Some of us look to prayer, or tears, or fellowship, and some of us just hold it in. Apparently, some of us file huge lawsuits and politicize tragedy.

And the coffee case is not some throwaway shit, and I've spent a fuckton of time reading up on it. I think that one was legit. I'm not letting you get away with justifying this horse shit by using that suit.

I'm surprised the asshole line came from you, actually. I don't remember many names on this board, but you're one of the level headed posters that can be trusted to not jump in with the mob.

I have no idea how I would mourn. I am forever shocked that there isn't more vigilantism about, and probably attribute it to depression sapping all energy or something. I don't know what my response would be to even just getting a phone call saying there's been a shooting.

The thread title was misleading. "The school" made me personally instantly tweak and go "this fucking litigious culture". But then I thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the more this made sense. Who is going to pay for the potential forever counselling? What are these people going through? What if the mother is literally unable to ever let the child out of her sight, ever?

Would I sue? I don't know, because I don't know how I would respond. But I'd give the parents the benefit of the doubt on this one and wait until the case is heard. Maybe it'll get thrown out, maybe it'll lead to the society realising some things. At face value, the coffee case doesn't sound legit at all. Are you sure you won't be revising your stance on this one once you've read up on it a few years down the track?

eventually the names of the parents will be leaked and it will definitely not be pretty

Here's hoping, cause rather than try to bilk the murder's family they go after the school? ...You'd think the faculty and anyone involved had had enough...

I'm surprised the asshole line came from you, actually. I don't remember many names on this board, but you're one of the level headed posters that can be trusted to not jump in with the mob.

I have no idea how I would mourn. I am forever shocked that there isn't more vigilantism about, and probably attribute it to depression sapping all energy or something. I don't know what my response would be to even just getting a phone call saying there's been a shooting.

The thread title was misleading. "The school" made me personally instantly tweak and go "this fucking litigious culture". But then I thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the more this made sense. Who is going to pay for the potential forever counselling? What are these people going through? What if the mother is literally unable to ever let the child out of her sight, ever?

Would I sue? I don't know, because I don't know how I would respond. But I'd give the parents the benefit of the doubt on this one and wait until the case is heard. Maybe it'll get thrown out, maybe it'll lead to the society realising some things. At face value, the coffee case doesn't sound legit at all. Are you sure you won't be revising your stance on this one once you've read up on it a few years down the track?

I prefaced what I said (before calling you an asshole) by saying that "unless there's some particular legal reason which I don't understand". So yeah you've got me there, I can be open-minded about this one if it comes out to make sense. To be fair I thought the coffee case was bullshit too. Until I understood that the old woman was served what was probably irresponsibly hot coffee and got burns inside of her vagina and needed serious surgery for a serious injury, and that she wanted McDonald's to pay for just her surgery and a small amount for suffering (before the lawyers got crazy and fucked everything up on both sides).

So maybe something will come out about this later and I won't agree with my kneejerk, which is that you're an asshole and this suit is offensive. We'll see. It's not really personal man. Thanks for pointing that out though, maybe you're not an asshole after all.

Back