• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies New Predator Movie BADLANDS from Prey Filmmaker (Elle Fanning to Star)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: June 3, 2024

Elle Fanning to Star in New PREDATOR Movie BADLANDS from Prey Filmmaker Dan Trachtenberg

GettyImages-1712268735-H-2023.jpg

Elle Fanning is going from great to bad. The actor known for The Great is in talks to star in Badlands, a new movie set in The Predator universe, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Badlands is directed by Dan Trachtenberg, the filmmaker who revamped the franchise with the 20th Century and Hulu feature Prey, which was set in 1719 and starred breakout Amber Midthunder as a young Comanche woman pitted against an alien hunter. The film was a critical success and broke viewing records for Hulu.

Trachtenberg reteamed with Prey scribe Patrick Aison for the Badlands story, with Aison penning the script. THR reported in February that in addition to Badlands, 20th Century has a number of Predator projects in development, with Trachtenberg at the center of a growing universe.

Predator originated with the 1987 movie starring Schwarzenegger. It was followed by the Danny Glover starrer Predator 2, the 2010 ensemble The Predator and 2018’s Predators. There have also been multiple crossover movies pitting the Predator against the antagonists of the Alien frnachise.

The premise for Badlands is unknown, but sources indicate that it will not be set in the past like Prey but instead be set sometime in the future. It is also unknown if like Prey, this would go straight to streaming.

While Prey featured a cast of relative unknowns and rising stars like Amber Midthunder, execs and Trachtenberg wanted to try and land an established star for this new standalone pic and began taking meetings with talent. Insiders close to the project say Fanning is a fan of the franchise and once execs got wind of her interest moved to set a meeting with her and Trachtenberg. Following that meeting between the two, Fanning was on board and once a deal closes momentum is expected to pick up with the hope to shoot later this year.

As for a sequel to Prey, sources say while it is still in early development, a Prey 2 is still in the works that would return to the films original setting and with Prey star, Amber Midthunder, potentially returning. Sources stress no talent is attached to that film but the interesting element is that even though there has been seven films featuring the infamous alien, there has never been an instance where the star of a previous film has returned to reprise their role.

Fanning earned an Emmy nomination and three Golden Globe noms for her work in The Great, which ended last year after three seasons. She is known for starring in a pair of Maleficent features for Disney, as well as J.J. Abrams 2011 movie Super 8.

Prey was on the list of good Predator films. I’ll check this out when it’s released

It's difficult for a chick to be a lead in an action film and pull it off

I didn't like prey and I'm sure I'll pass for this
Not just a chick but they went for the most petite little girl to star in an action movie up against a monster. The whole point of the first movie is that even an elite team of special ops guys full of testosterone and armed to the teeth were no match for the predator, but now we have petite young women fighting this thing. How tough can a predator be if it's main opponent is Elle Fanning?

Unless they subvert expectations and have the predator decapitate Fanning and have it winning as the twist. I'd watch that.

Prey was better than expected, but it had it's 'Girl Power!' issues.

They really better not be trying to make this a female-action-hero franchise, with one woman after the other with plot armor fighting Predators who have every possible advantage, but the woman wins because of plot armor.

{<diva}

Turning male-focused movie franchises into female-focused franchises really hasn't worked out well recently. Just ask Star Wars & the MCU.

Prey was... ok. But another girl boss? Are they gonna make the Predator albino to complete the evil white villain?

The first predator without dreads and with straight blonde hair ! Look how much more it is evil ! Look how the woman and her diversity buddies beat him ! Take that, nazi predator !!!

I'll watch, hoping it doesn't fall prey to the girlboss trope.
Prey was fine, not spectacular or nothing, but far from the energy of the first two.

I want Lizzo as her badass , take no nonsense , ultra violent side kick . Like really . Truly . Yeah.

Back