Neil Magny Hype over

Tough match up for anyone but a nightmare for a certain type of fighter that can't evade his style of take downs despite having excellent wrestling and take down defense.

The LaFlare hype train was bigger than Magney's and both got derailed thanks to Maia's unique skill set.

Yeah, I was in the LaFlare hype train too but boring (at least in that fight) Maia was happy to derail him.

Stop feeding promising fighters to Maia :icon_cry2

I was really impressed with Magny's improvement as a fighter and expected him to, at the very least, make it a competitive fight with Maia.

Surprised he couldn't stop a single takedown. Was completely outclassed.

He had some attention because of his long winning streak, but it was generally agreed most of it was composed of low level opposition. Not an actual hype train IMO.

I vaguely remember a few of his fights earlier in his career, never noticed that streak, thanks for the info. I'm usually up to date on things like that, but I'm guessing that win over Lim had people excited.

Maia at 170 is a beast for anyone, surprised he's taken such a dip in competition after losing to Rory.

Magny has reached his ceiling.

Lol, he's 28 years old, has been a pro for just 5 years, has great size and a ridiculous reach for his division, has never been KO'd, is fit, durable and game as hell (has fought 11 times in the past 2 1/2 years), and in still inside the top 15. Plenty to come from him yet.

Magny did well on the ground for a bit, Maia is just dominating people right now. If they keep giving him prospects he's gonna keep sending them back to the end of the line.

If by "for a bit" you mean 15 seconds, yeah sure.

Lol, he's 28 years old, has been a pro for just 5 years, has great size and a ridiculous reach for his division, has never been KO'd, is fit, durable and game as hell (has fought 11 times in the past 2 1/2 years), and in still inside the top 15. Plenty to come from him yet.

158006905-neil-magny-lays-on-the-canvas-after-being-gettyimages.jpg

TUF fights don't count on your official record.

The overall point was that he hasn't taken big beatings, despite his workload, and hasn't shown himself to be susceptible to KO's, which is a big thing in that division considering some of the strikers above him in the rankings.

No it isn't. Of course he was going to get subbed on the ground, but he defended better and longer than a lot of more seasoned guys have.

What disappointed me most is Magny's vaunted footwork and stinging jab was nowhere to be seen.

He's your general 'everyman' fighter, IMO. He doesn't excel ANYWHERE, he's one of those well-rounded guys with good cardio but no real A-Game. He's destined to beat up anyone not in the top 20, and forge a very good long-lived UFC career but IMO, he won't beat anyone of any note. Coz anyone of any note tends to have something they excel at, whether that's wrestling, BJJ, KO power etc.

He is a fast learner though, so you never know I guess.

Magny had hype to lose? And either way, there's no shame in getting submitted by Demian Maia. He actually lasted longer than I thought he would.

What hype? Has any fighter EVER got less attention after going on that long of a winning streak?

considering so much guys predicted that Magny was going to knockout Maia then yes!

the hype train was real but that always happens when a fighter goes on a streak beating the lower tier guys then gets stomped by a top guy Jordan Mein comes to mind

There was never a hype train. He simply overachieved while steadily improving, until he faced a p4p elite grappler and 6th ranked Welterweight.

Back