Neil Magny Hype over

I think people forgot Maia dominated Rory for the first 7 minutes of their fight before gassing and losing....a bit larger gas tank and it would have been Rory's hypetrain to be derailed.

I missed the fights but it sounds like Maia out grappled him all three rounds without gassing? Nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing Maia vs Gunnar if Gunny wins again.

Maia took Magny down at will and he wasnt able to stand up at all. Magny actually defended himself quite well for some time - if Maia had ANY gnp he would have won it at 1st round, easily. It was a grappling show, Magny had nothing for him.
Maia looked REALLY good phisically, more slim and stronger than before. IMO he looks ready to make (his last) run to a titleshot. Give him a rematch with Rory and he will take it.

I missed the fights but it sounds like Maia out grappled him all three rounds without gassing? Nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing Maia vs Gunnar if Gunny wins again.

It didn't go all three rounds, Maia tapped him in the second. I agree though, Maia and Gunny would make for a great matchup.

It didn't go all three rounds, Maia tapped him in the second. I agree though, Maia and Gunny would make for a great matchup.

Nice work, Demian. That's a couple finishes in a row now, right?

Never got the hype. Nice win streak, mainly over low-level guys.

I thought he'd wilt once he faced a top WW, and I don't even consider Maia 'top, top', he's very good and high-level but he's not an elite WW IMO.

Magny has reached his ceiling.

this was my general opinion of magny as well

Maia is nearly unstoppable when he's not in K1 mode and has gas left in the tank to grapple you.
The thing about Maia is that you never know which Maia will show up.

IMO he has the skills to be a champ if he can maintain last saturday pace, not holding my breath though everytime I get hyped to watch him fight he folds, and then when I'm not expecting shit just like saturday, he destroys.....

Oh Maia...just be consistent

Gunnar vs Maia would be sick. I got Maia by submission modified anaconda choke.

Never held Magny in any high regard let alone "hype".

Maia, I'm still waiting for the "hype" to catch up to him. Good pure BJJ guy but he hasn't yet splashed down in the UFC IMO.

I have no idea why anyone would jump off the bandwagon just because he was outgrappled by the best grappler in MMA.

He looked way worse than usual I wonder if he was sick or something.

I mean not making excuses I know he would get dominated on the ground by Maia but usually he has pretty good TDD and Maia isn't known for his offensive wrestling.

I guess Magny didn't make him waste any energy though off his back, basically just laid there and let Maia have his way so he didn't gas like he often does.

Sucked for Magny. Dude was probably a win or two away from contendership talks.

It's his first finish in a few fights. His last match was his 5 round decision win over LaFlare.

Huh, idk why but I thought he subbed LaFlare too. I missed that fight altogether as well

There was definitely a good deal of hype invested in Neil Magny's streak, both by the UFC and the posters on here. Nothing crazy for the most part, but a lot of people were starting to talk about Neil as being a real contender because of his streak. It made no sense to me. I can only assume it had something to do with people never having watched those fights and no one looking at the records or skillsets of his opponents. Magny is conditioned and well-rounded enough to beat strikers in a very unappealing way. When put in there against any grappler in his career save one, he's lost.

Neil's body type and overall fighting style does not lend itself towards TDD or being able to neutralize a grappler. Maia was so much better than any fighter he'd ever faced before it wasn't even funny and he was bringing a style that is absolute kryptonite for Magny. Kudos for hanging in there as long as he could, but Maia showed us that Neil is at best a gatekeeper for the WW division. Unfortunately for Magny, I imagine Lim was his last mediocre fighter for quite some time. A future fight with rising contenders like Lorenz Larkin (who I can't see being smothered by Magny), Rick Story, or Gunnar Nelson seem about right for him for the foreseeable future, possibly Brandon Thatch if the UFC's feeling like giving him a second chance. I don't see any of those fights going too swimmingly for him.

I never recalled Magny being hyped. in fact he has won some fights I expected him to lose. Sadly though, he just ran through a wall last Saturday. Maia when on the zone (grappling) is dangerous to anyone. but we all know K-1 Maia shows up once in a while...

He looked way worse than usual I wonder if he was sick or something.

I mean not making excuses I know he would get dominated on the ground by Maia but usually he has pretty good TDD and Maia isn't known for his offensive wrestling.

I guess Magny didn't make him waste any energy though off his back, basically just laid there and let Maia have his way so he didn't gas like he often does.

Completely wrong. Maia's got some of the best takedowns at WW and Magny's TDD is absolute crap. Get yourself Fightpass, go watch their fights, and then make assertions like that. Except you won't, because you'll know that type of thinking is wrong.

Maia put on a clinic... And to top it off he gave Magny a pat on the head like call me for some lessons.

Back